Meanwhile in Europe...

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
15-05-2015, 12:45 PM (This post was last modified: 15-05-2015 01:00 PM by Vera.)
Meanwhile in Europe...
"Luxembourg's prime minister married his civil partner on Friday, becoming the first serving leader in the European Union to wed someone of the same sex.
[…]
Five years ago, Johanna Sigurdardottir, then the prime minister of Iceland, became the first serving government leader in the world to marry a same-sex partner.”

And this is why I love my continent. (Well, one of many reasons.)

Also, on the tangentially related note that, apparently, Spain is the most LGBT-friendly country in the world, a common way of swearing there is "I shit on the communion host" or "I shit in the Ciborium" Laugh out load

"E se non passa la tristezza con altri occhi la guarderò."
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 11 users Like Vera's post
15-05-2015, 12:55 PM
RE: Meanwhile in Europe...
Here in Ireland on the 22nd of this month we will be voting to change the constitution and legalise same sex marriage. The catholic bishops have called on the flock to vote against. Should be interesting.

“The first duty of a man is to think for himself” ― José Martí
Find all posts by this user
15-05-2015, 01:46 PM
Got to love Irish catholicism - fucking boys = cover it up. Consenting adults marrying = outrage Laugh out load

"Isn't it enough to see that a garden is beautiful without having to believe that there are fairies at the bottom of it too"? - Douglas Adams Bechased
[+] 5 users Like LostLegend's post
15-05-2015, 02:00 PM
(15-05-2015 01:46 PM)LostLegend Wrote:  Got to love Irish catholicism - fucking boys = cover it up. Consenting adults marrying = outrage Laugh out load

True. Gotta get priorities right. Not one priest bastard has been excommunicated from the church for abuse. There's one Irish priest who suggested priests being allowed to marry wouldn't be such a bad idea. He was threatened with excommunication from Rome and told to keep his trap shut.

“The first duty of a man is to think for himself” ― José Martí
[+] 1 user Likes Marozz's post
15-05-2015, 06:59 PM
(15-05-2015 12:45 PM)Vera Wrote:  "Luxembourg's prime minister married his civil partner on Friday, becoming the first serving leader in the European Union to wed someone of the same sex.
[…]
Five years ago, Johanna Sigurdardottir, then the prime minister of Iceland, became the first serving government leader in the world to marry a same-sex partner.”

And this is why I love my continent. (Well, one of many reasons.)

Also, on the tangentially related note that, apparently, Spain is the most LGBT-friendly country in the world, a common way of swearing there is "I shit on the communion host" or "I shit in the Ciborium" Laugh out load

Nice.

[Image: oscar.png]
15-05-2015, 11:08 PM
(15-05-2015 12:55 PM)Marozz Wrote:  Here in Ireland on the 22nd of this month we will be voting to change the constitution and legalise same sex marriage. The catholic bishops have called on the flock to vote against. Should be interesting.

And note that:
Quote:Xavier Bettel ties knot with partner just months after Roman Catholic duchy legalised gay marriage.

Repeat: Roman Catholic

So, isn't it about time that the Murikans considered nationalising their religion?

Just think of the tax revenue.

Drinking Beverage

[+] 1 user Likes DLJ's post
16-05-2015, 02:39 AM
We're getting there.
23-05-2015, 07:07 AM
Looks like the Irish vote is going to be "yes". The fundies will probably see it as another sign of the end times rather than a win for rationality and human rights.

Early indications suggest Ireland voters back same-sex marriage referendum

Atheism: it's not just for communists any more!
America July 4 1776 - November 8 2016 RIP
[+] 2 users Like unfogged's post
23-05-2015, 08:13 AM
(23-05-2015 07:07 AM)unfogged Wrote:  Looks like the Irish vote is going to be "yes". The fundies will probably see it as another sign of the end times rather than a win for rationality and human rights.

I believe this will make Ireland the first country in the world to legalise same sex marriage through a public vote (rather than a governmental one)?

Amazing to think how far Ireland has come considering how much of a conservative christian haven it has been in the past. They just need to do away with those daft blasphemy laws now!

"Isn't it enough to see that a garden is beautiful without having to believe that there are fairies at the bottom of it too"? - Douglas Adams Bechased
[+] 2 users Like LostLegend's post
23-05-2015, 08:20 AM
(23-05-2015 08:13 AM)LostLegend Wrote:  
(23-05-2015 07:07 AM)unfogged Wrote:  Looks like the Irish vote is going to be "yes". The fundies will probably see it as another sign of the end times rather than a win for rationality and human rights.

I believe this will make Ireland the first country in the world to legalise same sex marriage through a public vote (rather than a governmental one)?

Amazing to think how far Ireland has come considering how much of a conservative christian haven it has been in the past. They just need to do away with those daft blasphemy laws now!

The horrific scandals of the last couple of decades are the cause of this sea change, in my opinion. Between stealing the children (or killing them) of unwed mothers and then molesting the rest of the poor's children the catholic church has really offended large swaths of the Irish population. The Yes vote has polled so well there was fear that it might be bad polling, luckily that seems not to be the case.

[Image: OfYGY.gif]

(31-07-2014 04:37 PM)Luminon Wrote:  America is full of guns, but they're useless, because nobody has the courage to shoot an IRS agent in self-defense
[+] 4 users Like Revenant77x's post