Meanwhile, on the lighter side of religion - baby is burned alive in Chile

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
30-04-2013, 04:01 PM
RE: Meanwhile, on the lighter side of religion - baby is burned alive in Chile
(26-04-2013 10:51 AM)Foxcanine1 Wrote:  
(26-04-2013 10:31 AM)Aseptic Skeptic Wrote:  Can someone help me understand this from a religious perspective?

If the baby WAS the antichrist, Satan, doesn't he live in a lake of fire? Why would fire even hurt the actual Antichrist?

Moreover, isn't the antichrist SUPPOSED to come? Isn't that part of Revelations? How can we have a Rapture, etc., if we destroy the antichrist every time he tries to get things going? I thought Christians look forward to the end of days when they are all carried up to Heaven, is that assumption wrong?

Finally, do mortals actually think they can do ANYTHING to destroy a being so powerful as the antichrist? What gives Christians, even crazy ones, the idea that we can somehow beat up the Antichrist in any way?

I'm serious here. I have never been Christian so I don't really understand these questions and would love some real answers regarding what Christians generally believe about this stuff.

I can only say what I once believed. Yes the AntiChrist is suppose to come and there is nothing you can do to prevent it. The only thing that you could do was look for the signs of his coming, because that would also be the sign of the second coming of Christ.

Quote: I thought Christians look forward to the end of days when they are all carried up to Heaven, is that assumption wrong?

It depends. For me, the idea of the second coming, which really became prominent in my mind when my sunday school class watched the first Left Behind movie, wasn't scary ( at that time) and was something that I looked forward to. I didn't believe that there was a way of stopping or accelerating it, only patiently waiting for it to occur. I did have a fellow sunday school classmate who did fear it because her father wasn't christian so she wouldn't get to see him in heaven. So while I would say that most christians ( I'm kind of speculating here) don't have a problem with going to heaven and seeing christ again, there is the problem of not wanting to leave loved ones behind.

I don't know what was going on in their minds other than a sick mentality that they could prevent the coming of the AC by performing the actions that they did.

Thanks for the insight.

Anyone else? I was hoping for a deep insightful discussion of the "generic" Christian end-of-days beliefs here...

"Whores perform the same function as priests, but far more thoroughly." - Robert A. Heinlein
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
30-04-2013, 05:44 PM
“Those who can make you believe absurdities, can make you commit atrocities.” --Voltaire

eg: The Pope, Pat Robertson, Rush Limbaugh, Hitler, Stalin, Pol Pot, Mao Tse Tung, Bush, Cheney, Bin Laden, and the "spiritual leaders" of these assholes.

"Heresy makes for progress" - Hypatia Bradlaugh Bonner
[1 Corinthians 13:11] When I was a child, I spake as a child, I understood as a child, I thought as a child: but when I became a man, I put away childish things. - The Bible King James Version. See? Even the Bible says "Put me down!" Big Grin
[+] 3 users Like ufo42's post
30-04-2013, 05:53 PM (This post was last modified: 30-04-2013 06:32 PM by Full Circle.)
In the ordinary moral universe the good will do the best they can, the worst will do the worst they can, but if you want to make good people do wicked things, you need religion. - Steven Weinberg

Tantum religio potuit suadere malorum.

(To such heights of evil are men driven by religion.)
Lucretius, De Rerum Natura

“I suppose our capacity for self-delusion is boundless."
― John Steinbeck, Travels with Charley: In Search of America
“I am quite sure now that often, very often, in matters concerning religion and politics a man's reasoning powers are not above the monkey's." - Mark Twain in Eruption
10-05-2013, 08:58 AM
These idiots don't even know their fucking bibles. Right off the top of my head, I can think of three passages in Jeremiah where god tells the people of Judah that he is going to devote them to destruction for the crime of . . . wait for it!! . . . sacrificing their children in the fire.

In fact, I use those passages whenever I talk to Jehovah's Witnesses who think it's perfectly sane to sacrifice their child by refusing blood transfusions that would save the child's life.

And they think I'm the one who is "mentally diseased" for rejecting their shitty world view.

. . . all the gods were stories we told the children to make them behave. ~ Thoros of Myr (Game of Thrones, Episode 3:06)
[+] 3 users Like Scully's post
10-05-2013, 01:23 PM
(10-05-2013 08:58 AM)Scully Wrote:  These idiots don't even know their fucking bibles. Right off the top of my head, I can think of three passages in Jeremiah where god tells the people of Judah that he is going to devote them to destruction for the crime of . . . wait for it!! . . . sacrificing their children in the fire.

In fact, I use those passages whenever I talk to Jehovah's Witnesses who think it's perfectly sane to sacrifice their child by refusing blood transfusions that would save the child's life.

And they think I'm the one who is "mentally diseased" for rejecting their shitty world view.

Sadly, that's not quite true. The Bible is dripping with human sacrifice stories and stories of God telling people to do bizarre things. If someone is convinced that God sometimes talks to people, they are in danger of falling for a cult whose leader claims that God is speaking to him and ordering his followers to do absolutely anything from eating babies to unleashing a nuclear holocaust. That's why the infiltration into the US military and government of apocalyptic christian nutbags is so scary. It isn't much of a stretch to think that someone like Rick Santorum or Michele Bachmann would be happy to push the big red button if elected as President in order to hasten the return of Jesus. The line between a dangerous cult like Scientology or Mormonism or the above mentioned idiots and a mainstream religion is pretty fuzzy and all too easy to cross.

Even the bible verse you quote has an unhappy ending because by devoting those idiots to destruction, God means he's going to kill them all including the children some of whom might otherwise have been sacrificed.

Bottom line, if you take almost any ancient "holy" book too seriously, you're on the road to committing atrocities in the name of your invisible sky dictator.

"Heresy makes for progress" - Hypatia Bradlaugh Bonner
[1 Corinthians 13:11] When I was a child, I spake as a child, I understood as a child, I thought as a child: but when I became a man, I put away childish things. - The Bible King James Version. See? Even the Bible says "Put me down!" Big Grin
[+] 1 user Likes ufo42's post
10-05-2013, 01:35 PM
(10-05-2013 01:23 PM)ufo42 Wrote:  Bottom line, if you take almost any ancient "holy" book too seriously, you're on the road to committing atrocities in the name of your invisible sky dictator.

Brevity being a personal preference; I'm going with sky dic. Drinking Beverage

I think in the end, I just feel like I'm a secular person who has a skeptical eye toward any extraordinary claim, carefully examining any extraordinary evidence before jumping to conclusions. ~ Eric ~ My friend ... who figured it out.
[+] 3 users Like kim's post
10-05-2013, 01:56 PM
(26-04-2013 07:58 AM)Chas Wrote:  But we must respect their beliefs, of course. Drinking Beverage

Not.

This is where cultural relativism fails. There is no way to not censure this behavior.

All hail the baby burners, dude! Think about this logically! Jesus sacrificed his own son! We know that, because. . . um. . . Well there was this cool book that will explain it. . . O.K. it wasn't really a book, because books hadn't been invented yet. But! People said it was true! They seen it or something! Glad I could clarify that for you.
10-05-2013, 04:50 PM
Which is worse:

Baby burned alive in Chile?

or

Baby burned alive in Chili?

Drinking Beverage
10-05-2013, 04:58 PM
(10-05-2013 04:50 PM)I and I Wrote:  Which is worse:

Baby burned alive in Chile?

or

Baby burned alive in Chili?

Drinking Beverage

[Image: 4f0.gif]

The people closely associated with the namesake of female canines are suffering from a nondescript form of lunacy.
10-05-2013, 08:05 PM
(10-05-2013 01:23 PM)ufo42 Wrote:  
(10-05-2013 08:58 AM)Scully Wrote:  These idiots don't even know their fucking bibles. Right off the top of my head, I can think of three passages in Jeremiah where god tells the people of Judah that he is going to devote them to destruction for the crime of . . . wait for it!! . . . sacrificing their children in the fire.

Sadly, that's not quite true. The Bible is dripping with human sacrifice stories and stories of God telling people to do bizarre things. If someone is convinced that God sometimes talks to people, they are in danger of falling for a cult whose leader claims that God is speaking to him and ordering his followers to do absolutely anything from eating babies to unleashing a nuclear holocaust. That's why the infiltration into the US military and government of apocalyptic christian nutbags is so scary. It isn't much of a stretch to think that someone like Rick Santorum or Michele Bachmann would be happy to push the big red button if elected as President in order to hasten the return of Jesus. The line between a dangerous cult like Scientology or Mormonism or the above mentioned idiots and a mainstream religion is pretty fuzzy and all too easy to cross.

Even the bible verse you quote has an unhappy ending because by devoting those idiots to destruction, God means he's going to kill them all including the children some of whom might otherwise have been sacrificed.

Bottom line, if you take almost any ancient "holy" book too seriously, you're on the road to committing atrocities in the name of your invisible sky dictator.

I don't disagree with you at all. Regardless of the tome deemed to be holy and worthy of emulating, people have cherry picked passages that were to their liking and used them to play whatever tune sounded like music to them. My JW acquaintances don't think too far beyond how individual passages read, so if I can steer them in a direction that keeps them from killing themselves or their children for lack of a blood transfusion, using a source they regard as credible and as The Source of Truth, then I'm gonna do it.

. . . all the gods were stories we told the children to make them behave. ~ Thoros of Myr (Game of Thrones, Episode 3:06)