Meat

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
07-12-2010, 05:52 AM
RE: Meat
Deep fried grasshoppers all the time! (Well, in the summer). They go really good with watermelon actually.

So many cats, so few good recipes.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
07-12-2010, 06:06 AM
(06-12-2010 11:58 PM)gaglamesh731 Wrote:  On the thought of the environmental impact of meat consumption...would you eat insects ?

A researcher in the UK (whose name I forget because the documentary was a while back) proposed eating insects.They're pure protein , no fat , and the amount of "meat" you can grow on the same patch of land as opposed to cows is tenfold.
So back to my question...would you eat insects ?

I'd love to try deep fried crickets with soy sauce ... yum-yum. *drools*

I remember a few years ago, there was a confluence of cicada, the 13 year ones and the seven year ones emerged in the same year. They were literally everywhere for a few weeks. So the media played up how delicious and nutritious they were, gave recipes, etc. But I couldn't get past my mental block.

I watch Andrew Zimmern all the time. Eventually, I'm going to get over what I know is just a cultural aversion and take the plunge.
07-12-2010, 11:44 AM
Reindeer... Yamm, my favorite meat, especially when sautéed.

I thought reindeer meat producing in Sweden and Finland would be one of the last meat productions that someone can be against of, since the reindeers are pretty free for most of the year and eat naturally, although sometimes they're fed with hay and such (the bacteria in the reindeers stomach has to be changed first), partly because there are less and worse pasturing forests because of tree cutting, which affects the growth of lichen.

So, the WSPA has made this: http://www.wspa-international.org/latest...tment.aspx
Quote:“Reindeer husbandry is an exclusive right for the Sami population in Sweden, but the entry of commercial players has dramatically altered the way these gentle animals are treated today, and not for the better.”
I'd say the treatment has gone for the better. The neck slaughter seen in the video was once thought to be the humain way of reindeer slaughtering, but nowadays even it's too cruel, as it has been banned for tens of years. In the separation and slaughter, there's always an animal doctor present, and the industry (at least in Finland) is controlled and regulated by the grocery office Evira, the police and animal doctors.
Quote:have their ears mutilated and left to bleed
Their ears are full of small blood vessels and in ear-marking, bleeding is inevitable, but the bleeding stops very quickly, but the blood on the fur doesn't.
Quote:“Densely packed into loading trucks, the reindeers’ iconic antlers become potentially lethal as they get entangled, trap the reindeer’s head against the side of the truck or accidentally gore each other to death even before they arrive at the slaughterhouse,” said Petterson.
The transportation is a big step back in the tratment of reindeers, but the EU commands it. Before the EU wanted them to be carried long ways to slaughterhouses, they were slaughtered in the separation place and no long trips had to be done.
I'm not sure if reindeers dying during transportation is for the benefit of the producers, since the health of the reindeers has to be checked before slaughtering (and before transportation) and I'm not sure if they accept dead reindeers, but why wouldn't they if the meat is still good, although I've heard that stress makes the meat worse.

Anyways, my point is, that the production of reindeer meat in the Northern Coutries (I don't know about Russia and Asia) is one of the morally cleanest meat productions and I don't understand why the WSPA decided to attack it.

But how beautiful is the 'natural death' of a reindeer? Being killed by a rival male during the mating seasons, or being injured by an other male so badly that a slow death is inevitable, or being teared apart by hungry wolfs. I doubt reindeers used to die to oldness.

Correct me when I'm wrong.
Accept me or go to hell.
14-12-2010, 07:31 AM

i eat far too much red meat... time to increase the green veggies... but cutting meat from the menu is easier said them done... not to mention it would be missed.. fact is none of us are getting out of this one alive so one might as well enjoy it while one is still here... bring on the prime rib! :-)
Quote this message in a reply
14-12-2010, 10:04 PM

I did the vegan diet quite often as an orthodox christian, and I must say, IT SUX!!!

I love meat -- pretty much any kind, anytime, anywhere. Smile I do try to avoid eating meat raised in feed lots because it's all fed so poorly that it's terrible for you, not to mention the cruel conditions these animals are raised in. I was raised on a farm and saw responsible husbandry and slaughter from a young age. I'm lucky enough now to live in close proximity to lots of organic farming.
Quote this message in a reply
15-12-2010, 07:24 AM
I believe there was a meta-study done back in 1999 that proves that vegans and people who eat too much red meat have the shortest life span.

To be honest , I did not expect such a balanced response when I started this topic.
15-12-2010, 07:59 AM
Carnivore with a particular love of lamb. Which is kind of ironic, since i can't stand sheep when they are still alive. They are the best argument against evolution. Something that stupid shouldn't be able to survive on it's own.

I want to rip off your superstitions and make passionate sense to you
15-12-2010, 04:58 PM
Quote:Carnivore with a particular love of lamb.

I love lamb too. And, this reminds me of a modified version of an old nursery rhyme.

Mary had a little lamb,
whose fleece was white as snow.
And everywhere that Mary went,
the lamb was sure to go.
But Mary found the cost of meat was rising,
which did not please her.
Tonight she's having leg of lamb,
the rest is in the freezer

Shackle their minds when they're bent on the cross
When ignorance reigns, life is lost
15-12-2010, 06:17 PM
Pig and Sheep eater minus appendix. The question of ethics is very interesting, although, like Richard Dawkins said in a great interview with Peter Slinger(?) on the subject, I don't have the courage of my convictions. Huge respect to you guys killing your own.

I've gotten daring eating a variety of food trying to keep up with my now 8yr old daughter. (You encourage them to always try new things so have to do the same yourself right? lol Smile ). I ate a large raw seafood meal with her and it was all I could do to stop myself retching.

The problem of sustainability rests on the availability of fresh water and not food. The planet can support 9 billion, which we're estimated to hit by 2050 (breakthroughs in desalination aside). Deep fried grasshoppers all the way tho' Smile
15-12-2010, 07:04 PM
Very good point about water. It's a huge issue, that is actually not terribly difficult to solve. A great deal of polluted water could be made potable simply by eliminating agri-business. (notice how I said "simply"? Good one huh? LOL) Put four cows on an acre of land, instead of forty like the feedlots do, and by the time their urine reaches ground water it's, well, water! The high concentration of nitrogen feeds the soil instead of kills it, because it's widely dispersed. The pasture grows better, the cows eat the pasture with no need for grain suppliment, and we all get to eat steak without destroying our planet. All the while, freeing up all that wasted land from growing excess grains, so we can grow crops that we eat directly like vegetables. (Some grains of course, but on a sustainable level). More food crops means more land that can be pastured, thus making it possible to spread those cows out! And it all depends on water, and strangely, it's the best way to keep the water clean!

So many cats, so few good recipes.