Med School Atheist

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
29-04-2015, 08:58 PM
Med School Atheist
I guess I'm not technically OUT about my atheism--I mean, my fiancé knows and he is a closeted one himself. I can't tell my family for a number of reasons (family members with mental illnesses, aggression issues, threats of real mistreatment--benefits do NOT outweigh the cost in terms of telling them)

Here is my problem: I'm in medical school and I'm worried about my future career and reputation concerning this matter. I'd love to have more people in my circle I can talk to about life with and share my thoughts with. I have my fiancé and my sister to speak with, and that's great! but I don't have anyone else in my life like that--literally no one else and I think I'd like to change that.
When I started med school, I fell into a group of "spiritual" people--a christian, a couple catholics, a mormon, and a buddhist-ish person. With them all having some fraction of deism inside of them, it becomes difficult for me to converse with them about anything not related to our studies now because I can't connect. It's a matter of weighing what is most beneficial for me right now, and leaving that group doesn't fit into the positive side of it. I'm hoping to reach out here and cultivate some other friendships with people I can share ideas with and get opinions from.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
29-04-2015, 09:04 PM
RE: Med School Atheist
Welcome. Lots of ex-General Hospital stars here. Angel

Insufferable know-it-all.Einstein God has a plan for us. Please stop screwing it up with your prayers.
[+] 1 user Likes Bucky Ball's post
29-04-2015, 09:20 PM
Welcome. I think we might be able to help.

Skepticism is not a position; it is an approach to claims.
Science is not a subject, but a method.
[Image: flagstiny%206.gif]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
29-04-2015, 09:29 PM
Welcome!
29-04-2015, 09:48 PM
Welcome! Smile
30-04-2015, 01:07 AM
You can't win against god.

8000 years before Jesus, the Egyptian god Horus said, "I am the way, the truth, the life."
30-04-2015, 01:11 AM
Hi. I work with a lot of docs that are atheists. Just learn the dip out that works for you " y'all go right ahead and pray and I'll get to work" or something of the sort...

"If there's a single thing that life teaches us, it's that wishing doesn't make it so." - Lev Grossman
[+] 1 user Likes Nurse's post
30-04-2015, 05:18 AM
Thanks for the responses! I really appreciate it. I'm really new to the atheist community--I gave up my faith this about a month ago. How do you guys deal with anxiety of being treated differently or being excluded because of what you think? I never realized how oppressive it would feel being surrounded by believers all day (it doesn't feel like that EVERY second, but you know what I mean). I don't know if it would be wise to be loud about my opinions, and in a normal day situation outside of my circle I wouldn't have any reason to say anything. Maybe this is my own internal problem and it's not any one else's? I just don't really know how to cope with people talking about god in such every day kind of ways when I just don't believe it. I think I might boycott Facebook because it drives me crazy seeing people's posts and not really being about to say anything... How do I balance my opinions with a health professional career without potentially damaging my reputation later in life? Am I over thinking this? I'm not good at debates, I never have been, and I don't think I could defend myself appropriately if people freak out about my atheism... Any thoughts on the matter would be appreciated... Feel free to ask questions. Thanks.
30-04-2015, 07:26 AM
(30-04-2015 05:18 AM)rosieisaposie Wrote:  Thanks for the responses! I really appreciate it. I'm really new to the atheist community--I gave up my faith this about a month ago. How do you guys deal with anxiety of being treated differently or being excluded because of what you think? I never realized how oppressive it would feel being surrounded by believers all day (it doesn't feel like that EVERY second, but you know what I mean). I don't know if it would be wise to be loud about my opinions, and in a normal day situation outside of my circle I wouldn't have any reason to say anything. Maybe this is my own internal problem and it's not any one else's? I just don't really know how to cope with people talking about god in such every day kind of ways when I just don't believe it. I think I might boycott Facebook because it drives me crazy seeing people's posts and not really being about to say anything... How do I balance my opinions with a health professional career without potentially damaging my reputation later in life? Am I over thinking this? I'm not good at debates, I never have been, and I don't think I could defend myself appropriately if people freak out about my atheism... Any thoughts on the matter would be appreciated... Feel free to ask questions. Thanks.

I think because this is new to you that you are over-sensitive and over-thinking it.

How often does religion actually come up where there is any need for a response from you?

In a professional setting, it is always proper and legal to refuse to discuss religious matters.
You can politely and firmly say that you don't discuss your beliefs at work/school/whatever.

Skepticism is not a position; it is an approach to claims.
Science is not a subject, but a method.
[Image: flagstiny%206.gif]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
30-04-2015, 07:43 AM
(30-04-2015 05:18 AM)rosieisaposie Wrote:  Thanks for the responses! I really appreciate it. I'm really new to the atheist community--I gave up my faith this about a month ago. How do you guys deal with anxiety of being treated differently or being excluded because of what you think? I never realized how oppressive it would feel being surrounded by believers all day (it doesn't feel like that EVERY second, but you know what I mean). I don't know if it would be wise to be loud about my opinions, and in a normal day situation outside of my circle I wouldn't have any reason to say anything. Maybe this is my own internal problem and it's not any one else's? I just don't really know how to cope with people talking about god in such every day kind of ways when I just don't believe it. I think I might boycott Facebook because it drives me crazy seeing people's posts and not really being about to say anything... How do I balance my opinions with a health professional career without potentially damaging my reputation later in life? Am I over thinking this? I'm not good at debates, I never have been, and I don't think I could defend myself appropriately if people freak out about my atheism... Any thoughts on the matter would be appreciated... Feel free to ask questions. Thanks.

I came from a very liberal (church) background, and I know I could hold my own if a discussion ever started, but I pretty much avoid them like the plague. Arguing is a waste of time. I also have a rather "philosophic" understanding of what I think believers think and are trying to say. I automatically "translate" it in my head, to something non-religious. But basically we're all too busy to even bother with religion where I come from. Cool

Insufferable know-it-all.Einstein God has a plan for us. Please stop screwing it up with your prayers.
[+] 1 user Likes Bucky Ball's post