Med School Atheist

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
30-04-2015, 08:08 AM
RE: Med School Atheist
(30-04-2015 07:26 AM)Chas Wrote:  
(30-04-2015 05:18 AM)rosieisaposie Wrote:  Thanks for the responses! I really appreciate it. I'm really new to the atheist community--I gave up my faith this about a month ago. How do you guys deal with anxiety of being treated differently or being excluded because of what you think? I never realized how oppressive it would feel being surrounded by believers all day (it doesn't feel like that EVERY second, but you know what I mean). I don't know if it would be wise to be loud about my opinions, and in a normal day situation outside of my circle I wouldn't have any reason to say anything. Maybe this is my own internal problem and it's not any one else's? I just don't really know how to cope with people talking about god in such every day kind of ways when I just don't believe it. I think I might boycott Facebook because it drives me crazy seeing people's posts and not really being about to say anything... How do I balance my opinions with a health professional career without potentially damaging my reputation later in life? Am I over thinking this? I'm not good at debates, I never have been, and I don't think I could defend myself appropriately if people freak out about my atheism... Any thoughts on the matter would be appreciated... Feel free to ask questions. Thanks.

I think because this is new to you that you are over-sensitive and over-thinking it.

How often does religion actually come up where there is any need for a response from you?

In a professional setting, it is always proper and legal to refuse to discuss religious matters.
You can politely and firmly say that you don't discuss your beliefs at work/school/whatever.

I don't go out of my way to discuss my atheism at work (unless I am asked a question about it). Sometimes, you will come across a very religious co-worker and I try not to get into things with them--unless they say something completely offensive. During the holidays, when people at work wish me a happy/merry whatever...I usually just smile and say I don't celebrate it, but I hope you enjoy the holiday with your friends and family.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
30-04-2015, 09:03 AM
I think you guys are right about me thinking too much about it. I guess I'm just so used to having a "cause" to stand up for that I might just be transferring that feeling to this situation. Phew, this takes some getting used to. Trying to find my purpose again is tough, but I'm so thankful that I at least have direction to move in what with being in school. I feel lucky that I didn't dive deeper in religion than I was! Anyway, thanks for your input. It's nice having people to talk to about this stuff.

Have any of you guys done the whole "recovering from religion" counseling? Is it helpful? Expensive?
30-04-2015, 10:20 AM
Welcome. Consider yourself lucky especially since your fiance is in the same place you are. Many of us have absolutely 0 people we can talk to outside the TTA (myself included).

Having said that, I agree to what Chas said. You maybe in the stage of seeing the world through new eyes and it can be scary. We have all been there.

(30-04-2015 05:18 AM)rosieisaposie Wrote:  How do you guys deal with anxiety of being treated differently or being excluded because of what you think?

Love them like you would anyway. Keep in mind that the de facto position in this country is that you are religious in some way. I play on a church softball team and they guys all know I am an atheist. They don't really seem to be outwardly bothered by it. I look at it from the standpoint of showing them that I can be a good person and be godless. I really don't care whether I am excluded but that is me, you are likely different. I probably won't be aware of the exclusion anyway so why fret about it? That is IMO though.

(30-04-2015 05:18 AM)rosieisaposie Wrote:  I don't know if it would be wise to be loud about my opinions, and in a normal day situation outside of my circle I wouldn't have any reason to say anything. Maybe this is my own internal problem and it's not any one else's?

I would keep it to yourself. Do you like fundies screaming their beliefs all over the place?

(30-04-2015 05:18 AM)rosieisaposie Wrote:  How do I balance my opinions with a health professional career without potentially damaging my reputation later in life?

If you keep it to yourself, this won't be a problem.

(30-04-2015 05:18 AM)rosieisaposie Wrote:  I'm not good at debates, I never have been, and I don't think I could defend myself appropriately if people freak out about my atheism...

If they freak out, they probably aren't even looking for a debate so I would disregard them. If they are genuinely interested and want to hear what you have to say, then t is not a conversation and not a debate. So just be able to answer the following:
1) How did you come to not believe?
2) Why did it occur?
3) What research have you done?

The first two you can probably answer right now. The third may or may not be easy. There are a ton of resources available that can help you articulate this idea better. I would recommend GWG's resource thread on TTA.

"If we are honest—and scientists have to be—we must admit that religion is a jumble of false assertions, with no basis in reality.
The very idea of God is a product of the human imagination."
- Paul Dirac
30-04-2015, 12:40 PM
(30-04-2015 09:03 AM)rosieisaposie Wrote:  Trying to find my purpose again is tough, but I'm so thankful that I at least have direction to move in what with being in school.
Have any of you guys done the whole "recovering from religion" counseling? Is it helpful? Expensive?

Welcome, with the challenges of med school it may not be the best time, but one of the great things about no longer believing that god put you here for a purpose is that you can now create you own purpose. If there are things that you feel passionate about pursue them to give your life purpose. My wife is an academic physician and her passion is keeping academic medicine academic. I am sure you can find something like that.

I almost forgot, Dan Barker has a new book out "A Purpose Driven Life" that addresses this.
[+] 1 user Likes Iñigo's post
30-04-2015, 01:19 PM
(30-04-2015 12:40 PM)Iñigo Wrote:  I almost forgot, Dan Barker has a new book out "A Purpose Driven Life" that addresses this.

Close...The Purpose Driven Life is a book by Rick Warren, the scumbag leader of SaddleBack Church, a "mega-church" in Southern California

Dan Barker wrote "Life Driven Purpose"

Atheism: it's not just for communists any more!
America July 4 1776 - November 8 2016 RIP
[+] 3 users Like unfogged's post
30-04-2015, 06:47 PM
(30-04-2015 12:40 PM)Iñigo Wrote:  I almost forgot, Dan Barker has a new book out "A Purpose Driven Life" that addresses this.
Laughat Laugh out load Holy shit dude, that just made my day!!! I have also read this new book by Rabbi Schmoley called Mein Kampf.

"If we are honest—and scientists have to be—we must admit that religion is a jumble of false assertions, with no basis in reality.
The very idea of God is a product of the human imagination."
- Paul Dirac
30-04-2015, 08:34 PM
(30-04-2015 05:18 AM)rosieisaposie Wrote:  Thanks for the responses! I really appreciate it. I'm really new to the atheist community--I gave up my faith this about a month ago. How do you guys deal with anxiety of being treated differently or being excluded because of what you think? I never realized how oppressive it would feel being surrounded by believers all day (it doesn't feel like that EVERY second, but you know what I mean). I don't know if it would be wise to be loud about my opinions, and in a normal day situation outside of my circle I wouldn't have any reason to say anything. Maybe this is my own internal problem and it's not any one else's? I just don't really know how to cope with people talking about god in such every day kind of ways when I just don't believe it. I think I might boycott Facebook because it drives me crazy seeing people's posts and not really being about to say anything... How do I balance my opinions with a health professional career without potentially damaging my reputation later in life? Am I over thinking this? I'm not good at debates, I never have been, and I don't think I could defend myself appropriately if people freak out about my atheism... Any thoughts on the matter would be appreciated... Feel free to ask questions. Thanks.

Re. Facebook: just unfollow the religious nuts - point at name, click on unfollow in the drop down.

Hang around here for a while, you'll find it very helpful. We have some docs here, too. Take it slow and easy! Smile

[Image: dobie.png]Science is the process we've designed to be responsible for generating our best guess as to what the fuck is going on. Girly Man
01-05-2015, 07:51 AM
(30-04-2015 01:19 PM)unfogged Wrote:  

Close...The Purpose Driven Life is a book by Rick Warren, the scumbag leader of SaddleBack Church, a "mega-church" in Southern California

Dan Barker wrote "Life Driven Purpose"

Holy shit, I fucked that up. Yes, by all means. Read Dan Barker's book "Life Driven Purpose", not Rick Warren's.
[+] 2 users Like Iñigo's post
01-05-2015, 05:45 PM
Welcome to reality, free of the blindfold of faith, the stranglehold of religion and the failed epistemological method called christianity. Be excited, you can now segue into the confident position of viewing the real world based on reality, logic and reason. It is an exciting time to be an atheist. The second fastest growing religiosity group in the world. Realize though that there is some adjustment, and sometimes a waffling period where you begin to doubt your new convictions because of the peer pressure around you, the potential loss of peers, friends and family members who still cling to delusion in order to deal with the real world around them.

Surround yourself with knowledge, listen to podcasts, read the resources available, the more you learn, the more confident you become, and the less you will feel embarrassed to utter aloud, "I am an atheist". Anyone who stops being your friend, co-worker, family member because of your new found belief, and knowledge, do not deserve you in their life anyway. That is called conditional love....believe my delusion, or I won't play with you anymore, believe my delusion or I wont talk to you anymore.....the correct response is ...good...then you are free to find new friends and peers who actually value you for who you are, not what myth-based belief system you label yourself as. Love doesn't come with conditions. Seek and ye shall find others who think the same as you...and in the medical field I would suspect a lot of atheists are hiding....find them Smile

"Belief is so often the death of reason" - Qyburn, Game of Thrones

"The Christian community continues to exist because the conclusions of the critical study of the Bible are largely withheld from them." -Hans Conzelmann (1915-1989)
[+] 2 users Like goodwithoutgod's post
05-05-2015, 04:14 PM
Hi!

I have similar problem. I am in med-school. I can only freely speak with my sister and my father. I have to escape from my country.

I talk with my class-mate and suddenly, she says that she committed so many sins that she had to go to a priest. What am I supposed to answer? That it is easy to do something wrong?