Media Sabbatical: a great idea

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
29-04-2012, 03:41 PM
Media Sabbatical: a great idea
I watched this program on PBS today (for those not in the States, that's the American not-for-profit Public Broadcasting Service):

http://billmoyers.com/episode/full-show-...g-trouble/

Bill Moyers is a hero of mine, and the guest, Marty Kaplan, is someone I respect. I found the show eminently worth an hour of my time.

During the interview, Kaplan divulged that he goes on "media sabbaticals" every so often to "detox" from the effects of constant media bombardment. I related to that big time.

What a great idea: Going off to the desert or the mountains or the woods or the beach or wherever you'd be happiest, say for a whole week, and just turning off EVERYTHING. Nothing but you and nature and maybe your significant other and/or real, in-the-flesh friends. Your mobile phone is turned OFF, only to be turned on in case of dire emergency. You use the "Out of Office" feature to let people know you will not be checking e-mail for a week. No laptop. No iPad. No TV. No radio. Magazines and newspapers to be avoided. Billboards too, to the extent that's possible. Maybe an iPod or other device if you want music. Nothing more. Walk, hike, swim, bike, sit, talk, watch, listen. Absorb the real, not the virtual, world.

Think of it. A whole week with:
  • No commercials
  • No political ads
  • No spam
  • No blogs
  • No one tracking your online habits
  • No targeted suggestions from Amazon about books and DVDs and stuff you don't need
  • No one sending you cute cat videos
  • No one texting you
  • No one sending you e-mails you feel guilty about not responding to
  • No YouTube
  • No unrelenting onslaught from corporations and political groups trying to get your money or your vote
And yes,
  • No TTA (when you return you'll appreciate it even more Smile )
Of course you'd have a lot of cleaning up to do when you're back online. But I think it'd be worth it. I suspect it would feel like getting out of the smog and breathing fresh air for the first time in years.

Religious disputes are like arguments in a madhouse over which inmate really is Napoleon.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 1 user Likes cufflink's post
29-04-2012, 04:26 PM
RE: Media Sabbatical: a great idea
But it all sounds too monastic for me, Cuff. Tongue

Actually, from past experience, I know how empowering that sort of Sabbatical can be. I also know how hard it can be to go cold turkey from the grid. But once you do, it becomes easy to continue.

"All that is necessary for the triumph of Calvinism is that good Atheists do nothing." ~Eric Oh My
29-04-2012, 05:12 PM
I hate the way the media stretches everything.
29-04-2012, 05:20 PM
(29-04-2012 04:26 PM)Erxomai Wrote:  But it all sounds too monastic for me, Cuff. Tongue

Monasticism's not for me either, Erx. But a person can still indulge in some decidedly non-monastic activities while abstaining from the grid, right? Wink

Religious disputes are like arguments in a madhouse over which inmate really is Napoleon.
29-04-2012, 05:28 PM
(29-04-2012 05:20 PM)cufflink Wrote:  Monasticism's not for me either, Erx. But a person can still indulge in some decidedly non-monastic activities while abstaining from the grid, right? Wink
As long as you're only abstaining from the grid and not one's partner!

"All that is necessary for the triumph of Calvinism is that good Atheists do nothing." ~Eric Oh My
[+] 1 user Likes Erxomai's post