Media and how it affects many things

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
20-04-2013, 03:26 PM
RE: Media and how it affects many things
Quote:What would be more important for people to be interested in?

I don't think I understand your question: with regard to what?

My point was there is a disconnect with how certain things are provided. The OP was concerned with media, and for me personally, I might stop on a news channel only because there is an attractive women talking about something distracting. A rating, and what I'm interested in watching, could be judged off of that, regardless of the fact that if I was asked what I wanted out of a news network, sexy people and distracting topics, would fall pretty far back on my list of concerns.

I could become addicted to drugs and unhealthy foods, and I could even tell you, straight up, that is what I wanted and/or was interested in. However, if you asked, with as little bias influence as possible, a list of questions concerning health, well-being, appearance, performance, life, family, happiness, etc., that would give a completely different answer as to whether, or not, I actually wanted things which I willingly indulging in on a regular basis.

Quote:I envy the fact that theists organize their people to do things better than atheists organize their people to do things - like delievering a better education system so people can learn the limits of reality as compared to the limits of their imaginations. I think atheists perpetuate the infinite reality just as unwittingly as the theist do.

Well, when you actually have a book-- I'd have to say-- it seems as if it would be a hell of a lot easier to get on the same page.

You have to keep in mind, that atheism isn't any thing but the lack of belief in a god. You could be an atheist the same way a hipster can stumble upon good music, or atheism, i.e. by only rebelling against what is the norm and what others are for.

There doesn't have to be a connection between atheism and positive attributes of intellectualism and wisdom. It can be pretentiousness, experience, circumstances.

It kind of gives you a reason to want to still be in a time where people were killed for being different. Then you could probably get what you were looking for, as far as organization goes.

The Paradox Of Fools And Wise Men:
“The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, but wiser men so full of doubts.” ― Bertrand Russell
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
20-04-2013, 04:48 PM
Media and how it affects many things
(19-04-2013 01:14 AM)JAH Wrote:  I am channeling my inner I and I here so I expect no forgiveness.

At next years Boston Marathon much will be made about what happened this year. Moments of silence, mention of the victims, you can imagine it now and will see it then.

A year from now the fire and explosion in a fertilizer plant that killed some 40 people (I think that is what I heard on the news tonight) and damaged a significant portion of a town will have been long forgotten.

Even now the news is fixated on the Boston Marathon attack while what happened at a plant that apparently had significant safety issues is something of an afterthought.

Safety issues that can cause many deaths and great damage are not particularly important.

Nutjobs that can kill a few (and yes permanently damage many) are very very very important to the general media.

What does that say about the US media. Please do not say that they report what people are interested in. The media influences what the public is interested in by what they report. Anyone who suggests otherwise is not very thoughtful.

I would further suggest that the monied and powerful classes exert great pressure on the media to ignore facts that may cost them money.

What people sense through their five senses can and does influence their behaviors and desires, companies spend a lot of money on advertisement for that very reason. If people think that this somehow can't or doesn't happen with the news media then they are stupid.

There are plenty of examples in which execs specifically shape media to influence people, through how things are worded and framed. "Israelis don't attack Palestinians they "retaliate". A foreign country that is anti u.s. is referred to as a "regime".
20-04-2013, 06:43 PM
(19-04-2013 01:14 AM)JAH Wrote:  I am channeling my inner I and I here so I expect no forgiveness.

I translate this to say "I have a viewpoint but I am afraid to speak it in case of mockery from my peers"

I think you need to self explore where that thought comes from, its origins and why do you have it .Should you never speak out without first making excuses for yourself?

(19-04-2013 01:14 AM)JAH Wrote:  What does that say about the US media. Please do not say that they report what people are interested in. The media influences what the public is interested in by what they report. Anyone who suggests otherwise is not very thoughtful.

I would further suggest that the monied and powerful classes exert great pressure on the media to ignore facts that may cost them money.

I agree. I suggest researching how many media conglomerates there are and who and what they own. Makes for interesting reading.

For no matter how much I use these symbols, to describe symptoms of my existence.
You are your own emphasis.
So I say nothing.

-Bemore.
20-04-2013, 06:43 PM
(20-04-2013 04:48 PM)I and I Wrote:  A foreign country that is anti u.s. is referred to as a "regime".
ROTFLMFAO

You don't need to be an anti-American foreign country to be classified as a regime - the Bush Administration was referred to as a "regime." And you know hannity refers to Obama as a "regime," and "dictator."

Humanism - ontological doctrine that posits that humans define reality
Theism - ontological doctrine that posits a supernatural entity creates and defines reality
Atheism - political doctrine opposed to theist doctrine in public policy
I am right, and you are wrong - I hope you die peacefullyCool
20-04-2013, 06:46 PM
(20-04-2013 06:43 PM)TrainWreck Wrote:  
(20-04-2013 04:48 PM)I and I Wrote:  A foreign country that is anti u.s. is referred to as a "regime".
ROTFLMFAO

You don't need to be an anti-American foreign country to be classified as a regime - the Bush Administration was referred to as a "regime." And you know hannity refers to Obama as a "regime," and "dictator."

Is that not merely a matter of viewpoint and which country you are in. Pick your side etc etc.

For no matter how much I use these symbols, to describe symptoms of my existence.
You are your own emphasis.
So I say nothing.

-Bemore.
20-04-2013, 06:50 PM (This post was last modified: 20-04-2013 07:03 PM by TrainWreck.)
(20-04-2013 03:26 PM)TrulyX Wrote:  You have to keep in mind, that atheism isn't any thing but the lack of belief in a god.

Atheism is the political philosophy that opposes theist religious justification for social policy. Humanism is the proper ontological order that counters the theism ontological order. Atheism accepts humanism as the more accurate ontological order.

We want to get this semantic stuff straightened out. It is out of order because of the tremendous Christian influence on the editing of dictionaries and encyclopedias. It has been very difficult stuff to sort out in the past, but now with concept mapping software, it is a lot easier to do - it is what I have spent the past five years doing.

Theism - ontological doctrine that posits a supernatural entity creates and defines reality
20-04-2013, 08:04 PM (This post was last modified: 22-04-2013 05:36 PM by fstratzero.)
The idea behind sensationalism is simple. Appeal to the strongest primal emotions people have.

Fear, lust, curiosity, interpersonal relationships and social status.

If you want to see how this method of media producing effects people, talk to your local "cool" high schooler.

Member of the Cult of Reason

The atheist is a man who destroys the imaginary things which afflict the human race, and so leads men back to nature, to experience and to reason.
-Baron d'Holbach-
Bitcion:1DNeQMswMdvx4xLPP6qNE7RkeTwXGC7Bzp
21-04-2013, 07:16 AM
(20-04-2013 06:50 PM)TrainWreck Wrote:  
(20-04-2013 03:26 PM)TrulyX Wrote:  You have to keep in mind, that atheism isn't any thing but the lack of belief in a god.

Atheism is the political philosophy that opposes theist religious justification for social policy. Humanism is the proper ontological order that counters the theism ontological order. Atheism accepts humanism as the more accurate ontological order.

We want to get this semantic stuff straightened out. It is out of order because of the tremendous Christian influence on the editing of dictionaries and encyclopedias. It has been very difficult stuff to sort out in the past, but now with concept mapping software, it is a lot easier to do - it is what I have spent the past five years doing.

No, atheism is not a political philosophy. You are confusing it with secularism which is a political stance.

Skepticism is not a position; it is an approach to claims.
Science is not a subject, but a method.
[Image: flagstiny%206.gif]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
21-04-2013, 07:27 AM
(21-04-2013 07:16 AM)Chas Wrote:  No, atheism is not a political philosophy. You are confusing it with secularism which is a political stance.

Secularism does not oppose religious justification for policy. Secularism seeks to insure that all ideologies are represented.

If you review the organizational missions of the atheist organizations this will become much more apparent.

21-04-2013, 07:39 AM
(21-04-2013 07:27 AM)TrainWreck Wrote:  
(21-04-2013 07:16 AM)Chas Wrote:  No, atheism is not a political philosophy. You are confusing it with secularism which is a political stance.

Secularism does not oppose religious justification for policy. Secularism seeks to insure that all ideologies are represented.

If you review the organizational missions of the atheist organizations this will become much more apparent.

No, secularism is the non-involvement of church in government.

Secularism is the principle of separation of government institutions, and the persons mandated to represent the State, from religious institutions and religious dignitaries.

Skepticism is not a position; it is an approach to claims.
Science is not a subject, but a method.
[Image: flagstiny%206.gif]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user