Mediating Believers

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
03-06-2014, 07:47 PM
Mediating Believers
Hello,

I'm having a moral quandary and I'm seeking some advise. A friend of mine and her boyfriend are being harassed by a friend of his about their beliefs. He is claiming that their relationship is sinful and not based on god and a bunch of other stuff that sounds like nonsense to me. The couple has come to me seeking advise about how to handle this.

The problem is that my friend and her boyfriend are theists. I'm not sure what to tell them beyond that he's using his religion to bully them and that the whole lot of it is absurd. They buy into the concept of god and sin, but don't accept this other person's version of god or sin. I can't seem to wrap my head around this, beyond telling them to let of go of the god concept and realize how silly this goon's argument is.

Any tips or advise you can give me would be greatly appreciated.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
03-06-2014, 07:58 PM
RE: Mediating Believers
(03-06-2014 07:47 PM)orangejedi42 Wrote:  Hello,

I'm having a moral quandary and I'm seeking some advise. A friend of mine and her boyfriend are being harassed by a friend of his about their beliefs. He is claiming that their relationship is sinful and not based on god and a bunch of other stuff that sounds like nonsense to me. The couple has come to me seeking advise about how to handle this.

The problem is that my friend and her boyfriend are theists. I'm not sure what to tell them beyond that he's using his religion to bully them and that the whole lot of it is absurd. They buy into the concept of god and sin, but don't accept this other person's version of god or sin. I can't seem to wrap my head around this, beyond telling them to let of go of the god concept and realize how silly this goon's argument is.

Why is the interlouper's opinion/conviction/recrimination of their relationship so important?

They should refuse to discuss it and tell the dude to shoo fly.

But as if to knock me down, reality came around
And without so much as a mere touch, cut me into little pieces

[+] 2 users Like Momsurroundedbyboys's post
03-06-2014, 08:05 PM
I'm not completely sure of the dynamics. I know the boyfriend doesn't have many friends outside of this guy, so I think that's a big consideration. I started with "tell him to bugger off" but they didn't like that option and my next thought was to let the silly superstition thing go, but that seems even less likely to be helpful.
03-06-2014, 08:10 PM

All I've got is for them to tell the guy to fuck right off and mind his own fucking business.

Skepticism is not a position; it is an approach to claims.
Science is not a subject, but a method.
[Image: flagstiny%206.gif]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
03-06-2014, 10:04 PM
Tell them a story....

Once upon a time you reached adulthood and made choices for yourself and told people who were a pain in your ass to fuck off.

Maybe they haven't reached maturity yet?

They only have 2 choices: put up with it or don't.

"Life is a daring adventure or it is nothing"--Helen Keller
04-06-2014, 12:15 AM
(03-06-2014 08:10 PM)Chas Wrote:  

All I've got is for them to tell the guy to fuck right off and mind his own fucking business.