Medical advice

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
14-03-2014, 10:07 AM (This post was last modified: 14-03-2014 10:11 AM by docskeptic.)
Medical advice
Full Circle's thread got me thinking. There are some really weird and questionable medical practices out there. I would lump chiropractic medicine, osteopathic medicine and homeopathy together in there. In addition there is a host of other similar practices-reiki, ayurvedic, aromatherapy, etc. which all fall in the woo category.

As an allopath, I would only consider treatments that have scientific validation or are based on reasonable scientific assumptions.

If people within the TTA community have questions about anything medical related, please feel free to post them (or PM me if confidentiality is desired) and I'll do my best to answer your questions as fully and honestly as I can. I'm sure Mark Fulton and any other medical professionals in the forum would not mind jumping in as well.

Let me take this opportunity to once again introduce quackwatch.com to the TTA community. It's a comprehensive database of questionable medical practices, maintained by Stephen Barrett, MD, an unsung hero of the skeptic community.

Doc
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 7 users Like docskeptic's post
14-03-2014, 10:13 AM
RE: Medical advice
Does this
[Image: benefits-of-cupping-therapy.jpg]
Actually do anything?

Atheism is the only way to truly be free from sin.
14-03-2014, 10:15 AM
Why do you include chiropractors and osteopaths in this group?

The information in ancient libraries came from real minds of real people. The far more complex information in cells came from the far more intelligent mind of God.
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
14-03-2014, 10:16 AM
(14-03-2014 10:13 AM)Colourcraze Wrote:  Does this
Actually do anything?

Puts a red mark on your back. Other than that no.

(31-07-2014 04:37 PM)Luminon Wrote:  America is full of guns, but they're useless, because nobody has the courage to shoot an IRS agent in self-defense
[+] 3 users Like Revenant77x's post
14-03-2014, 10:18 AM
Actually do anything?

Presumably, it ruptures a bunch of blood vessels near the surface of the skin, similarly to the way that teenagers do to each other's necks.
[+] 1 user Likes RobbyPants's post
14-03-2014, 10:24 AM
I have a 2 part question about pro-biotic pills. My wife started buying them recently because her mom told her we should be taking them for our mild digestive issues. Keep in mind that her mom is a Reiki Master as well. Dodgy

So, my first part is: Do they actually do anything or are they just destroyed by the digestive system.

Second part is this: If they are worthless, is there any risk or harm involved with them. She claims her indigestion has gotten better since starting them. If they're harmless as a placebo, whatever. If they're potentially harmful, I'd like to get her to stop.

Excuse me, I'm making perfect sense. You're just not keeping up.

"Let me give you some advice, bastard: never forget what you are. The rest of the world will not. Wear it like armor, and it can never be used to hurt you." - Tyrion Lannister
14-03-2014, 10:30 AM
Actually do anything?

Colourcraze,
Cupping does not do anything other than placebo effect.

See "Cupping". Statement by American Cancer Society. November 2008.

Doc
14-03-2014, 10:33 AM
(14-03-2014 10:15 AM)theophilus Wrote:  Why do you include chiropractors and osteopaths in this group?

Ask a physiotherapist and watch their ire rise. Big Grin

[+] 1 user Likes DLJ's post
14-03-2014, 10:34 AM (This post was last modified: 14-03-2014 10:50 AM by docskeptic.)
(14-03-2014 10:24 AM)itsnotmeitsyou Wrote:  I have a 2 part question about pro-biotic pills. My wife started buying them recently because her mom told her we should be taking them for our mild digestive issues. Keep in mind that her mom is a Reiki Master as well. Dodgy

So, my first part is: Do they actually do anything or are they just destroyed by the digestive system.

Second part is this: If they are worthless, is there any risk or harm involved with them. She claims her indigestion has gotten better since starting them. If they're harmless as a placebo, whatever. If they're potentially harmful, I'd like to get her to stop.

itsnotmeitsyou,

Probiotics may be helpful in conditions like Irritable Bowel Syndrome, antibiotic related diarrhea and possibly Clostridium difficile colitis.

The bacteria are not destroyed by the gut. There is documentation that probiotics may be helpful.

They are not harmful and may be continued. Yogurt or other similar probiotic laced products may be a useful alternative.

Doc
[+] 2 users Like docskeptic's post
14-03-2014, 10:35 AM
I'm'a just leave this here:

... this is my signature!
[+] 2 users Like cjlr's post