Medical advice

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
02-04-2014, 09:36 PM
RE: Medical advice
(02-04-2014 02:09 PM)War Horse Wrote:  I'm still waiting for one of the Doc's to tell whats up the charred meat.

I BBQ at least twice a week so......

I figure at my age and that I drink and smoke to much, the charred meat is the least of my problems, but if theres something going on with this, I'd like to know.

Please read the following. It's written buy Udo Erasmus, one of the world's foremost authorities on fats and diet in general. Your question is answered about 2/3 of the way through, but please read the whole article...it is gold....

http://www.udoerasmus.com/articles/udo/f...to_fit.htm
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 1 user Likes Mark Fulton's post
02-04-2014, 09:43 PM
(02-04-2014 12:37 PM)Free Thought Wrote:  Yo.

I've been experiencing significant back pain issues recently, so I figured I'd go for some advice. Here's the major parts;

I've had minor back issues for quite some time but pain has been intermittent to say the least, often taking years between manifestations. First time I remember a significant occurrence was in primary school about Year 5, which stopped hurting within the week.

At the end of last year (I made a few posts about it some may recall) where my back suddenly started hurting and got progressively worse over the course of about two months prior to my going to hospital as I could not move my neck or back without massive spikes of agony (up to 9 on the pain scale) and it was becoming difficult to breath due to the pain involved with the action. At this time my left arm was also incredibly sore.
When my mother took me to hospital, the doctor focussed on my arm which has a loooong history, prescribed Endone for pain management and said rest. After a few weeks I was back to my usual ornery self.

Then it started up again about a few months ago this year; pain moved from just below my left shoulder-blade straight up to the base of my skull and slowly become uniform across my upper back around the shoulder blades. (Same process which occurred before)
I saw my GP about two weeks after the pain first reappeared (I've got a bit of an aversion for seeing doctors), he said my muscles around my neck and shoulder-blades were in spasm and causing pain in response to having Scoliosis. Doc said painkillers and to improve my posture. At the time I spent most of my time with my head forward and slouching, with a constant head-tilt and a tended to put all my weight on one leg when standing, my posture has improved and the pain has decreased but it is still very noticeable.
When I last saw my doctor about it, after a major spike of pain laid me out for about three days, he recommended acupuncture to try to relieve pain the pain and speed thing up a bit since progress has been slow. That was about two-three odd weeks ago; never got around to the acupuncture (costing around 75 bucks which I don't have and is not covered by Medicare) and the pain is slowly becoming less noticeable but is still very present.

Now, generally I trust that doc, he's good at his job but I have no confidence in acupuncture at all. What's the opinions of those reading? Just stick to the slow, working method or try to save up and go for the back-stabbing? Any alternatives to the alternate?

Also, anybody else hear of pain from an injury sustained many, many years ago continuing to spike under certain circumstances with seemingly no physical damaged to the healed injury?
I ask because of my arm; I inflicted an avulsion fracture on the tip of my left humerus a long time ago and has since healed, but it does tend to still hurt or just feel off, and there doesn't seem to be any reason for it. Personally I think it's just psychological, so I don't tend to mention it to doctors when I can avoid it, but I figured while I'm here...

Please accept that it's hard to give great medical advice over the internet....it's very complex.

I would suggest you may benefit from oral magnesium powder....it often helps all sorts of back pain.

Look up PMR. I don't know your age group (it is mainly in older people) but it is a diagnosis often missed.
[+] 1 user Likes Mark Fulton's post
02-04-2014, 10:02 PM
Hi Mark,
I am taking all the supplements and vitamins you mentions except the magnesium. How much should I take a day? I will see if I can find the powdered form, but if I can't will a tablet or capsule do any good?

Thanks!
A

See here they are the bruises some were self-inflicted and some showed up along the way. - JF
Find all posts by this user
02-04-2014, 11:03 PM
(02-04-2014 09:43 PM)Mark Fulton Wrote:  
(02-04-2014 12:37 PM)Free Thought Wrote:  Yo.

I've been experiencing significant back pain issues recently, so I figured I'd go for some advice. Here's the major parts;

I've had minor back issues for quite some time but pain has been intermittent to say the least, often taking years between manifestations. First time I remember a significant occurrence was in primary school about Year 5, which stopped hurting within the week.

At the end of last year (I made a few posts about it some may recall) where my back suddenly started hurting and got progressively worse over the course of about two months prior to my going to hospital as I could not move my neck or back without massive spikes of agony (up to 9 on the pain scale) and it was becoming difficult to breath due to the pain involved with the action. At this time my left arm was also incredibly sore.
When my mother took me to hospital, the doctor focussed on my arm which has a loooong history, prescribed Endone for pain management and said rest. After a few weeks I was back to my usual ornery self.

Then it started up again about a few months ago this year; pain moved from just below my left shoulder-blade straight up to the base of my skull and slowly become uniform across my upper back around the shoulder blades. (Same process which occurred before)
I saw my GP about two weeks after the pain first reappeared (I've got a bit of an aversion for seeing doctors), he said my muscles around my neck and shoulder-blades were in spasm and causing pain in response to having Scoliosis. Doc said painkillers and to improve my posture. At the time I spent most of my time with my head forward and slouching, with a constant head-tilt and a tended to put all my weight on one leg when standing, my posture has improved and the pain has decreased but it is still very noticeable.
When I last saw my doctor about it, after a major spike of pain laid me out for about three days, he recommended acupuncture to try to relieve pain the pain and speed thing up a bit since progress has been slow. That was about two-three odd weeks ago; never got around to the acupuncture (costing around 75 bucks which I don't have and is not covered by Medicare) and the pain is slowly becoming less noticeable but is still very present.

Now, generally I trust that doc, he's good at his job but I have no confidence in acupuncture at all. What's the opinions of those reading? Just stick to the slow, working method or try to save up and go for the back-stabbing? Any alternatives to the alternate?

Also, anybody else hear of pain from an injury sustained many, many years ago continuing to spike under certain circumstances with seemingly no physical damaged to the healed injury?
I ask because of my arm; I inflicted an avulsion fracture on the tip of my left humerus a long time ago and has since healed, but it does tend to still hurt or just feel off, and there doesn't seem to be any reason for it. Personally I think it's just psychological, so I don't tend to mention it to doctors when I can avoid it, but I figured while I'm here...

Please accept that it's hard to give great medical advice over the internet....it's very complex.

I would suggest you may benefit from oral magnesium powder....it often helps all sorts of back pain.

Look up PMR. I don't know your age group (it is mainly in older people) but it is a diagnosis often missed.

Thanks, Mark. I'll certainly try if I can afford any.

I was mostly concerned about my current doc's suggestion for back-stabbing me with tiny needles to accelerate treatment and relieve pain, as opposed to looking for a general diagnosis. I just felt off with not leaving details.

On that specifically, what's your opinion?

The people closely associated with the namesake of female canines are suffering from a nondescript form of lunacy.
"Anti-environmentalism is like standing in front of a forest and going 'quick kill them they're coming right for us!'" - Jake Farr-Wharton, The Imaginary Friend Show.
03-04-2014, 01:15 AM
(02-04-2014 10:02 PM)Anjele Wrote:  Hi Mark,
I am taking all the supplements and vitamins you mentions except the magnesium. How much should I take a day? I will see if I can find the powdered form, but if I can't will a tablet or capsule do any good?

Thanks!
A

Magnesium it tablet form is usually magnesium oxide, which is poorly absorbed, although some are magnesium chelate which is fine. One teaspoonful of the powder mixed in water or juice every day is about right.

Are you feeling any change....better?....worse???
03-04-2014, 01:22 AM
(02-04-2014 11:03 PM)Free Thought Wrote:  
(02-04-2014 09:43 PM)Mark Fulton Wrote:  Please accept that it's hard to give great medical advice over the internet....it's very complex.

Thanks, Mark. I'll certainly try if I can afford any.

I was mostly concerned about my current doc's suggestion for back-stabbing me with tiny needles to accelerate treatment and relieve pain, as opposed to looking for a general diagnosis. I just felt off with not leaving details.

Well...here in Australia we are lucky that the government will pay for X-rays and blood tests. It seems to me you have chronic (i.e. long term) pain, so you deserve a diagnosis. Accupuncture is a little "hit and miss."

Why I suggested magnesium is there is a high probability you are magnesium deficient (I've been at a conference where speaker has said 98% of western people are) and if you are, magnesium, a simple solution, will help your pain
03-04-2014, 01:26 AM
(03-04-2014 01:22 AM)Mark Fulton Wrote:  
(02-04-2014 11:03 PM)Free Thought Wrote:  Thanks, Mark. I'll certainly try if I can afford any.

Well...here in Australia we are lucky that the government will pay for X-rays and blood tests. It seems to me you have chronic (i.e. long term) pain, so you deserve a diagnosis. Accupuncture is a little "hit and miss."

Well my doc said my spine was off and my muscles were in spasm because of it, causing the pain. The doctor at the hospital last year never really even decided look at my back. They just kinda obsessed over my arms...

(03-04-2014 01:22 AM)Mark Fulton Wrote:  Why I suggested magnesium is there is a high probability you are magnesium deficient (I've been at a conference where speaker has said 98% of western people are) and if you are, magnesium, a simple solution, will help your pain

I'll certainly try it out when I can afford it.

Thanks again Thumbsup

The people closely associated with the namesake of female canines are suffering from a nondescript form of lunacy.
"Anti-environmentalism is like standing in front of a forest and going 'quick kill them they're coming right for us!'" - Jake Farr-Wharton, The Imaginary Friend Show.
03-04-2014, 01:39 AM
(14-03-2014 10:07 AM)docskeptic Wrote:  Full Circle's thread got me thinking. There are some really weird and questionable medical practices out there. I would lump chiropractic medicine, osteopathic medicine and homeopathy together in there. In addition there is a host of other similar practices-reiki, ayurvedic, aromatherapy, etc. which all fall in the woo category.

As an allopath, I would only consider treatments that have scientific validation or are based on reasonable scientific assumptions.

If people within the TTA community have questions about anything medical related, please feel free to post them (or PM me if confidentiality is desired) and I'll do my best to answer your questions as fully and honestly as I can. I'm sure Mark Fulton and any other medical professionals in the forum would not mind jumping in as well.

Let me take this opportunity to once again introduce quackwatch.com to the TTA community. It's a comprehensive database of questionable medical practices, maintained by Stephen Barrett, MD, an unsung hero of the skeptic community.

Doc

Likewise - you can post me any questions on medical matters - I have also done extensive research into woo woo, zoo zoo, and boo boo.
Particularly any questions on the oncology - haematology area as this is where I specialize as onc-haematologist pharmacist at cancer hospitals.

I have seen extensive quackery within the cancer area - eg Gerson institute, alkaline therapy, juicing (as a cure for cancer alone not prevention), "vitamin B-17", various alleged "detoxifications" etc (...and must I forget prayer, but I dont have to mention this on this blog as God makes cancers if he existed and doesnt seem very communicative about the matter last I asked Him, He is very quiet about it - I did ask Him plenty of times and still awaiting correspondence, maybe He is just slow)

like to hear your comments, any cases and feedback.

A wise man proportions his belief to the evidence -
David Hume

[Image: images?q=tbn:ANd9GcRhOs7rUrS5bRKvWS7clR7...gNs5ZwpVef]
03-04-2014, 06:15 AM
(02-04-2014 09:36 PM)Mark Fulton Wrote:  
(02-04-2014 02:09 PM)War Horse Wrote:  I'm still waiting for one of the Doc's to tell whats up the charred meat.

I BBQ at least twice a week so......

I figure at my age and that I drink and smoke to much, the charred meat is the least of my problems, but if theres something going on with this, I'd like to know.

Please read the following. It's written buy Udo Erasmus, one of the world's foremost authorities on fats and diet in general. Your question is answered about 2/3 of the way through, but please read the whole article...it is gold....

http://www.udoerasmus.com/articles/udo/f...to_fit.htm

Thank you Mark. This is probably why my doctor put me on Atorvastatin 40mg a few months ago.

If bullshit were music some people would be a brass band.
03-04-2014, 06:33 AM
(03-04-2014 01:15 AM)Mark Fulton Wrote:  
(02-04-2014 10:02 PM)Anjele Wrote:  Hi Mark,

Thanks!
A

Magnesium it tablet form is usually magnesium oxide, which is poorly absorbed, although some are magnesium chelate which is fine. One teaspoonful of the powder mixed in water or juice every day is about right.

Are you feeling any change....better?....worse???

Since I caught the plague from coworkers shortly after starting this regimen I am waiting to get totally healthy before I do an assessment. I certainly don't feel worse. Will give it a couple more weeks.
My husband's employer is doing a health assessment thing so tomorrow I am going to the plant and will have blood drawn and basic vitals taken. Will be good to have a baseline and they will also pay me $100.00 for doing it.
I can compare the numbers to the blood work I will have done in June by the Oncologist.

See here they are the bruises some were self-inflicted and some showed up along the way. - JF