Medical advice

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
03-04-2014, 05:39 PM
RE: Medical advice
(03-04-2014 03:48 PM)Blackhand293 Wrote:  
(03-04-2014 03:40 PM)Baruch Wrote:  ? Taking any meds.

meds no, Low G.I. diet and avoiding to many processed carbohydrates if I can help it.

How about making a salad or nuts with whole grain rice or quinoa - have a quick break and eat some as a snack ?
Whole grain rice/quinoa would be like slow release carbohydrate (avoid hyperglycemia) and very nutritious. Also easy to manage with quick bites which don't interfere with busy schedule. Can also spice it up and be creative with additions.

A wise man proportions his belief to the evidence -
David Hume

[Image: images?q=tbn:ANd9GcRhOs7rUrS5bRKvWS7clR7...gNs5ZwpVef]
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
04-04-2014, 01:25 AM
(15-03-2014 07:53 PM)GirlyMan Wrote:  
(15-03-2014 03:09 PM)QUELSQUELS Wrote:  My husband recently discovered ping pong ball sized lumps behind his ears near the bottom of his jawline and is worried that it is something serious... but I cant get him to go to the doctors.

That's some bigass swollen lymph nodes. Tell him to go to the doctor or he gonna die. That's how ManlyGirl gets my ass to go to the doc.

(15-03-2014 02:32 PM)Mark Fulton Wrote:  I have to respectfully disagree with you about that...even though there's a school of thought that claims this.

Apart from vit D deficiency, I commonly see magnesium, zinc, iron, b12, omega 3 deficiencies.

I take B12 because it's associated with lower levels from the metformin and I take fish oil 'cause hey, it can't hurt my lipids. And CoQ10 'cause I take a statin and shit.

You can do blood levels for most of these quite cheaply or for free - do that first before wasting money on supplements.
eg for Iron, Mg, B12, Vid D. Possible to also do Zn (but not done regularly)
CoQ10 is more tricky for levels as plasma does not reflect tissue's concentrations and difficult to measure.

A wise man proportions his belief to the evidence -
David Hume

[Image: images?q=tbn:ANd9GcRhOs7rUrS5bRKvWS7clR7...gNs5ZwpVef]
04-04-2014, 10:35 PM (This post was last modified: 04-04-2014 10:46 PM by Mark Fulton.)
(03-04-2014 06:15 AM)War Horse Wrote:  
(02-04-2014 09:36 PM)Mark Fulton Wrote:  Please read the following. It's written buy Udo Erasmus, one of the world's foremost authorities on fats and diet in general. Your question is answered about 2/3 of the way through, but please read the whole article...it is gold....

http://www.udoerasmus.com/articles/udo/f...to_fit.htm

Thank you Mark. This is probably why my doctor put me on Atorvastatin 40mg a few months ago.

I'll throw you one from left field...atorvostatin, in that dose , is a not uncommon cause of aching muscles. If your muscles ache, try stopping it for a week.
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
04-04-2014, 10:43 PM
(03-04-2014 08:24 AM)Chas Wrote:  
(02-04-2014 09:36 PM)Mark Fulton Wrote:  Please read the following. It's written buy Udo Erasmus, one of the world's foremost authorities on fats and diet in general. Your question is answered about 2/3 of the way through, but please read the whole article...it is gold....

http://www.udoerasmus.com/articles/udo/f...to_fit.htm

Doesn't look like a credible source. Opinions by someone who is selling something.

Check out his "Fats that heal, fats that kill" book. It is an authoritative tome....and was way ahead of its time....and it quotes the research extensively. Udo is very well respected. Yes, he is cashing in by making and selling his own products....yet I say good on him...they're very good products.

In my opinion his dietary advice is spot on....and way ahead of the nonsense most governments tell people about their so called healthy eating pyramid.
04-04-2014, 11:02 PM
Okay, not really sure if this is a problem, but I'm curious. I made a thread a while back about eating a lot of black pepper with my food. I know my dad does it, and a few other members said they did as well.
I don't think it's bad, I'm just curious if you guys could explain why I do this? Besides that I just like the taste? Or is this the only reason and I'm just making too much of this? This is a relatively new habit, starting within the last year.

I just went through the thread again and we went over possible iron deficiencies (I don't think so - but maybe?) and I'm not a smoker. I do like spicy food, but I like spice for taste and I don't kill myself with it.

Atir aissom atir imon
05-04-2014, 12:11 AM (This post was last modified: 05-04-2014 12:15 AM by Mark Fulton.)
(04-04-2014 01:25 AM)Baruch Wrote:  
(15-03-2014 07:53 PM)GirlyMan Wrote:  That's some bigass swollen lymph nodes. Tell him to go to the doctor or he gonna die. That's how ManlyGirl gets my ass to go to the doc.

I take B12 because it's associated with lower levels from the metformin and I take fish oil 'cause hey, it can't hurt my lipids. And CoQ10 'cause I take a statin and shit.

You can do blood levels for most of these quite cheaply or for free - do that first before wasting money on supplements.
eg for Iron, Mg, B12, Vid D. Possible to also do Zn (but not done regularly)
CoQ10 is more tricky for levels as plasma does not reflect tissue's concentrations and difficult to measure.

I've now written two replies to this post (wasted over two hours,) as they were lost in hyperspace. I had a number of links to back up what I'm about to say that I've now lost twice and I'm not gonna try and post them again. I'm just going to say what I think and leave it it up to anyone interested to Google information for themselves if they want.

Baruch, great to have you here! Are you a practising physician? I've read your posts and I'm sure that you and I would agree about 99% of issues.

I agree that blood tests for Iron deficiency, B12 and vitamin D are very useful and should be done routinely. However…

Testing serum magnesium is in most situations rather useless as it is not a good indicator of total body stores of magnesium, so it's highly likely that most people who are in fact magnesium deficient would have a normal serum magnesium level. Magnesium deficiency is extremely common. In fact in practice when I get a new patient I just assume that they are magnesium deficient, because the treatment is harmless, and so many people feel so much better when they get good-quality magnesium into their systems. Please everyone Google this topic for yourselves and learn about the health benefits of magnesium, and how common deficiency is, even in those of us who have a very "good" diet.

Serum zinc is also not a good indicator of total zinc body stores. Zinc deficiency is also extremely common. Please google just how common this deficiency is and the health problems that are associated with zinc deficiency. The easiest way to determine whether someone is zinc deficient is to do the zinc taste test.

Something that hasn't been mentioned so far is iodine deficiency and this is also fairly common in many societies. To test for it is a bit of a hassle as it involves a 24-hour urine collection. It's simpler to just take iodine... such as by using iodised salt.

Now, to get a little more complicated, we need to consider the concept of intra cellular nutritional deficiencies. What that means is that inside our very cells we can be deficient in things such as b group vitamins. So even if we have a normal serum b vitamin reading that doesn't necessarily mean that we won't benefit from taking high doses which push these things into our cells. Anyway... maybe I'm getting a little too technical here. What I'm saying is is that good quality high strength vitamins can be beneficial to our health even if blood tests don't show evidence of deficiency.

It is my opinion everyone in the western world should at a minimum take a good quality high-strength Multivitamin every day. And I haven't even started talking about omega 3's yet, or why we should take good-quality probiotics periodically.
05-04-2014, 08:06 AM
(04-04-2014 10:35 PM)Mark Fulton Wrote:  
(03-04-2014 06:15 AM)War Horse Wrote:  Thank you Mark. This is probably why my doctor put me on Atorvastatin 40mg a few months ago.

I'll throw you one from left field...atorvostatin, in that dose , is a not uncommon cause of aching muscles. If your muscles ache, try stopping it for a week.

But don't do that without checking with your doctor first.

Skepticism is not a position; it is an approach to claims.
Science is not a subject, but a method.
[Image: flagstiny%206.gif]
05-04-2014, 12:44 PM
(04-04-2014 11:02 PM)Im_Ryan Wrote:  Okay, not really sure if this is a problem, but I'm curious. I made a thread a while back about eating a lot of black pepper with my food. I know my dad does it, and a few other members said they did as well.
I don't think it's bad, I'm just curious if you guys could explain why I do this? Besides that I just like the taste? Or is this the only reason and I'm just making too much of this? This is a relatively new habit, starting within the last year.

I just went through the thread again and we went over possible iron deficiencies (I don't think so - but maybe?) and I'm not a smoker. I do like spicy food, but I like spice for taste and I don't kill myself with it.

I'm pretty sure it's nothing. The amount of pepper I see there is normal for my brother, father and boyfriend and it wouldn't be enough for some other people I know.

You are making too much of this Tongue I've found I add more and more pepper as the years go by (and more salt and more spices in general). I also start eating things I never liked. It's normal Thumbsup

"Behind every great pirate, there is a great butt."
-Guybrush Threepwood-
05-04-2014, 12:47 PM
(05-04-2014 12:44 PM)undergroundp Wrote:  
(04-04-2014 11:02 PM)Im_Ryan Wrote:  Okay, not really sure if this is a problem, but I'm curious. I made a thread a while back about eating a lot of black pepper with my food. I know my dad does it, and a few other members said they did as well.

I'm pretty sure it's nothing. The amount of pepper I see there is normal for my brother, father and boyfriend and it wouldn't be enough for some other people I know.

You are making too much of this Tongue I've found I add more and more pepper as the years go by (and more salt and more spices in general). I also start eating things I never liked. It's normal Thumbsup

I was a saltaholic and figured it was a good idea to cut back...I started using more pepper on my food and then cracked pepper. I sure hope it's not bad for me too.

See here they are the bruises some were self-inflicted and some showed up along the way. - JF

We're all mad here. The Cheshire Cat
05-04-2014, 01:24 PM
(05-04-2014 12:44 PM)undergroundp Wrote:  

Haha, I'm just curious. Cause I went from "normal" or small amounts of pepper to just drowning my food in pepper seemingly over night. I'm sure there's nothing bad from it, I'm just wondering why I do it (if there's possible explanation besides "it tastes good") Tongue

Atir aissom atir imon