Medical advice

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
05-04-2014, 01:37 PM
RE: Medical advice
(05-04-2014 01:24 PM)Im_Ryan Wrote:  
(05-04-2014 12:44 PM)undergroundp Wrote:  I'm pretty sure it's nothing. The amount of pepper I see there is normal for my brother, father and boyfriend and it wouldn't be enough for some other people I know.

You are making too much of this Tongue I've found I add more and more pepper as the years go by (and more salt and more spices in general). I also start eating things I never liked. It's normal Thumbsup

Haha, I'm just curious. Cause I went from "normal" or small amounts of pepper to just drowning my food in pepper seemingly over night. I'm sure there's nothing bad from it, I'm just wondering why I do it (if there's possible explanation besides "it tastes good") Tongue

I just think we get addicted to certain foods in certain periods. Lately, I've developed an addiction to garlic. No amount is enough. I don't worry about it, though I do worry about my breath Rolleyes

"Behind every great pirate, there is a great butt."
-Guybrush Threepwood-
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 1 user Likes undergroundp's post
05-04-2014, 04:36 PM
(05-04-2014 08:06 AM)Chas Wrote:  
(04-04-2014 10:35 PM)Mark Fulton Wrote:  I'll throw you one from left field...atorvostatin, in that dose , is a not uncommon cause of aching muscles. If your muscles ache, try stopping it for a week.

But don't do that without checking with your doctor first.

Yes...good point.
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
05-04-2014, 05:43 PM
(05-04-2014 12:47 PM)Anjele Wrote:  
(05-04-2014 12:44 PM)undergroundp Wrote:  I'm pretty sure it's nothing. The amount of pepper I see there is normal for my brother, father and boyfriend and it wouldn't be enough for some other people I know.

You are making too much of this Tongue I've found I add more and more pepper as the years go by (and more salt and more spices in general). I also start eating things I never liked. It's normal Thumbsup

I was a saltaholic and figured it was a good idea to cut back...I started using more pepper on my food and then cracked pepper. I sure hope it's not bad for me too.

Nah, increase your salt intake. It will raise your blood pressure and force all that artery-clogging stuff out of your bloodstream. Yes

No thanks are necessary - just sharing my wisdom. Big Grin

Skepticism is not a position; it is an approach to claims.
Science is not a subject, but a method.
[Image: flagstiny%206.gif]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
05-04-2014, 05:43 PM
(05-04-2014 05:43 PM)Chas Wrote:  
(05-04-2014 12:47 PM)Anjele Wrote:  I was a saltaholic and figured it was a good idea to cut back...I started using more pepper on my food and then cracked pepper. I sure hope it's not bad for me too.

Nah, increase your salt intake. It will raise your blood pressure and force all that artery-clogging stuff out of your bloodstream. Yes

Sounds legit...Dodgy

See here they are the bruises some were self-inflicted and some showed up along the way. - JF
05-04-2014, 07:24 PM
(04-04-2014 11:02 PM)Im_Ryan Wrote:  Okay, not really sure if this is a problem, but I'm curious. I made a thread a while back about eating a lot of black pepper with my food. I know my dad does it, and a few other members said they did as well.
I don't think it's bad, I'm just curious if you guys could explain why I do this? Besides that I just like the taste? Or is this the only reason and I'm just making too much of this? This is a relatively new habit, starting within the last year.

I just went through the thread again and we went over possible iron deficiencies (I don't think so - but maybe?) and I'm not a smoker. I do like spicy food, but I like spice for taste and I don't kill myself with it.

DOnt see a problem with pepper or spicy food and there is evidence that at least chillies can help fight cancer.
eg http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/?term=chilli+cancer
Do a pumed search and there are many references to back this up

I love my spice collection and recently brought a mega pack of over 30 different chillies including the bhut Jolokia Ghost chillies ! (chillies on the internet from amazon - very good quality stuff !!!)

HOWEVER - if you suffer from stomach ulcers or ulcerative colitis or crohns disease then seriously not recommended ! Whilst spicy food (pepper/chilli) doesnt cause these conditions it can aggravate them.

Other spices may also prevent cancer and have other health benefits - however beware these are often exaggerated. Eg Tumetic does have some anti-cancer properties but not the amount used for cooking. (unless your kitchen is seriously yellow by now)

A wise man proportions his belief to the evidence -
David Hume

[Image: images?q=tbn:ANd9GcRhOs7rUrS5bRKvWS7clR7...gNs5ZwpVef]
05-04-2014, 07:26 PM
(05-04-2014 05:43 PM)Chas Wrote:  
(05-04-2014 12:47 PM)Anjele Wrote:  I was a saltaholic and figured it was a good idea to cut back...I started using more pepper on my food and then cracked pepper. I sure hope it's not bad for me too.

It does not work that way Chas !
Might be OK for unblocking your garden hose pipe but not arteries !!!!
(unless you are kidding of course Smile )

David Hume

05-04-2014, 07:28 PM
(05-04-2014 01:37 PM)undergroundp Wrote:  
(05-04-2014 01:24 PM)Im_Ryan Wrote:  Haha, I'm just curious. Cause I went from "normal" or small amounts of pepper to just drowning my food in pepper seemingly over night. I'm sure there's nothing bad from it, I'm just wondering why I do it (if there's possible explanation besides "it tastes good") Tongue

I just think we get addicted to certain foods in certain periods. Lately, I've developed an addiction to garlic. No amount is enough. I don't worry about it, though I do worry about my breath Rolleyes

Garlic is good for you. Except you might not have any friends left or bothered by vampires. Oh, many friends ARE vampires ! Confused

David Hume

[+] 1 user Likes Baruch's post
05-04-2014, 07:32 PM
(03-04-2014 01:15 AM)Mark Fulton Wrote:  
(02-04-2014 10:02 PM)Anjele Wrote:  Hi Mark,
I am taking all the supplements and vitamins you mentions except the magnesium. How much should I take a day? I will see if I can find the powdered form, but if I can't will a tablet or capsule do any good?

Thanks!
A

Magnesium it tablet form is usually magnesium oxide, which is poorly absorbed, although some are magnesium chelate which is fine. One teaspoonful of the powder mixed in water or juice every day is about right.

Are you feeling any change....better?....worse???

After going to a specialty store I was able to find the chelate but it's in tablet form. I got it since everything else was oxide.

Right now when I dig out all the bottles I feel like I should just pour them all in a bowl and eat them with a spoon. Tongue And holy, moly that mutlivitamin/mineral supplement I got came in pills the size of the ones dad used to give cows! But I am trying to make sure I take everything every day.

See here they are the bruises some were self-inflicted and some showed up along the way. - JF
[+] 1 user Likes Anjele's post
05-04-2014, 07:35 PM
I think that those phases or cravings we get (I am crazy about cayenne pepper seeds at this time, was ginger not too long ago) are our bodies telling us that we need something these things contain. We really don't know all that much about food yet, we know some of the active components but not all.

I tend to cater to my cravings for that reason.

Of course if you crave ice cream and milk won't do, it's not the body asking for something it needs....Tongue

[Image: dobie.png]Science is the process we've designed to be responsible for generating our best guess as to what the fuck is going on. Girly Man
05-04-2014, 07:35 PM
(04-04-2014 10:35 PM)Mark Fulton Wrote:  
(03-04-2014 06:15 AM)War Horse Wrote:  Thank you Mark. This is probably why my doctor put me on Atorvastatin 40mg a few months ago.

I'll throw you one from left field...atorvostatin, in that dose , is a not uncommon cause of aching muscles. If your muscles ache, try stopping it for a week.

If you get muscle ache you can change the statin. Atorvastatin is often better than Simvastatin but they are NOT interchangeable. I have met many people intolerant to one statin but OK with another.
I would avoid statins if you get muscle aching unless you have some very high risk factors for heart disease and other methods have not worked eg diet. Even with high risk of heart disease if the muslce aching is severe then the statins can cause severe harm such as Myopathy/Rhabdomyolysis which if neglected can be irreversible - so check with a doctor if this is an issue.

David Hume

[+] 1 user Likes Baruch's post