Medical advice

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
05-04-2014, 07:37 PM
RE: Medical advice
(05-04-2014 01:24 PM)Im_Ryan Wrote:  
(05-04-2014 12:44 PM)undergroundp Wrote:  I'm pretty sure it's nothing. The amount of pepper I see there is normal for my brother, father and boyfriend and it wouldn't be enough for some other people I know.

You are making too much of this Tongue I've found I add more and more pepper as the years go by (and more salt and more spices in general). I also start eating things I never liked. It's normal Thumbsup

Haha, I'm just curious. Cause I went from "normal" or small amounts of pepper to just drowning my food in pepper seemingly over night. I'm sure there's nothing bad from it, I'm just wondering why I do it (if there's possible explanation besides "it tastes good") Tongue

It tastes good.

A wise man proportions his belief to the evidence -
David Hume

[Image: images?q=tbn:ANd9GcRhOs7rUrS5bRKvWS7clR7...gNs5ZwpVef]
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 1 user Likes Baruch's post
05-04-2014, 07:51 PM
(05-04-2014 07:35 PM)Dom Wrote:  I think that those phases or cravings we get (I am crazy about cayenne pepper seeds at this time, was ginger not too long ago) are our bodies telling us that we need something these things contain. We really don't know all that much about food yet, we know some of the active components but not all.

I tend to cater to my cravings for that reason.

Of course if you crave ice cream and milk won't do, it's not the body asking for something it needs....Tongue

This is true, but craving is not a good guide. Many people crave sugars but we have way too much.
Some times the craving is part of a comfort seeking habit and very harmful (as in craving sugar and fats)

Also some cravings such as for chocolate are related to peculiar properties of the food such as the melting point of chocolate is ~30-34oC perfect for maximum taste as it melts on the tongue and has the right stimulation of receptors on the tongue due to fat solubility - basically a perfect combination. There are different crystalline forms of chocolate based on the polymorphous crystallization process and it is the type V which is the most ideal - hence why chocolate is so delicious but if it melts and then re-cooled it does not taste the same and often undesirable - it is still chocolate but a different polymorphous crystallization structure and hence different melting point and properties !
Wow, tell that to someone at a dinner party to chat them up over a hot chocolate and they might blow you a kiss (...a kiss goodbye unless they are a chemist !!! Big Grin)

A wise man proportions his belief to the evidence -
David Hume

[Image: images?q=tbn:ANd9GcRhOs7rUrS5bRKvWS7clR7...gNs5ZwpVef]
[+] 1 user Likes Baruch's post
05-05-2014, 08:33 AM
Hey, who remembers this thread?

Figured it must be fun to resurrect this thread.

It's not really an advice thing but, I'm curious: Why is it that every time I get an infection in my throat (which for me is every other week, thanks a lot, tonsils!), my doctors tell me to avoid consuming dairy products?
Never understood that.

The people closely associated with the namesake of female canines are suffering from a nondescript form of lunacy.
"Anti-environmentalism is like standing in front of a forest and going 'quick kill them they're coming right for us!'" - Jake Farr-Wharton, The Imaginary Friend Show.
06-05-2014, 11:32 AM
Ok, so I got a message from the university health services saying they need my vaccination records. So I call my mom. She sends me to my pediatrician. I call them. The records no longer exist. It's been 15-16 years since I went to that doctor, so I'm not surprised. But the university still wants those records or get them again or sign a waiver.

Will I be harmed by getting these shots again?
03-06-2014, 09:46 PM
Ok. I have a toe nail fungus and I've had it for two years. I've tried all the over the counter products, soaked my toe in a vinegar/water solution, got online and someone said to try Vics Vaporub stuff. Someone else said to try mouthwash, rubbing alcohol, baking powder (or was it baking soda) and various other things.

Well, here's my latest effort. I'm hoping it works. I got some Monistat vaginal cream for yeast infections and this rubber-like toe cover from the foot care isle of the drug store and I put a dab of the Monistat on my toe and slip the toe cover over my toe. I'm two weeks into this treatment and it seems to be working really well but I'm afraid that when I stop the toe fungus will come back.

How long does it take to get rid of these damn nail fungi? I'm sick of it. And what do you think of my Monistat idea, will it work????

Shakespeare's Comedy of Errors.... on Donald J. Trump:

He is deformed, crooked, old, and sere,
Ill-fac’d, worse bodied, shapeless every where;
Vicious, ungentle, foolish, blunt, unkind,
Stigmatical in making, worse in mind.
22-10-2015, 11:02 AM (This post was last modified: 22-10-2015 11:14 AM by Deltabravo.)
There's now a cure for addiction. It's being developed by Rekitt Benckiser. http://investor.xenoport.com/releasedeta...eID=848226

They are the people who developed Suboxone which was used for heroin addiction. It became a generic so Rekitt decided to do some stupid things to undermine the market and are now being investigated by the FDA for various offences. The change to generic sucked the profit out of RB so they went looking for a replacement.

What they found was something called Arbaclofen Plarcabil which is a drug developed by Xenoport. The drug went through trials a while back for treatment of autism but the trial was halted as it was not meeting trial parameters.

Reckitt then bought the patent for AP from Xenoport for $20 million and started trials this September after already testing the drug on 1300 alcoholics. The problem with this drug, is that it is very powerful. It's based on baclofen but is called R baclofen because the right side of the baclofen molecule has all the beneficial effects while the left side causes side effects.

This drug converts into baclofen in the body. Baclofen is a drug for MS which is in common use and now approved by the French Government for treatment of alcohol.

It's an interesting development because it actually works. The thing about alcoholism and addiction is that people over think it. It's really simple. The addictive/craving part of the brain is in the motor neuron center of the brain. Anxiety is connected to motor ability because fear has to trigger automatic physical responses. If a person has anxiety which is of a sort which cannot be dealt with by running away or physically reacting, the body uses up the chemical which regulates anxiety, GHB. As it turns out there are only two substitutes for GHB, alcohol and baclofen. So, if you take baclofen, you don't feel like drinking because this neurological anxiety/craving disappears. It works on all craving related addictions...which is all addictions so it is the first example of a poly-drug abuse medication.

The problem up until now, and until Rekitts put this on the shelves, is that baclofen itself is an off-licence drug and because it is considered fringe, doctors won't prescribe it, generally. Because it is out of patent, there is no incentive to trial it for use in alcoholism. It is so cheap a drug that no drug manufacturer can justify the trials, despite it's success. Because drug companies can only market a drug for uses within the drug's licence, no one is marketing it as a treatment for alcoholism or drug addiction.

It's a really crazy situation for those who are working in the field. This is on the scale of world class screw ups.

Rekitts will get FDA approval of this drug because the now head of the NIH Alcoholism section is George Koob who has been involved in drug treatment of alcoholism for many years and is well aware of the developments in France. Reckitts are so big (Nurofen, Durex, etc etc) and have such enormous clout in the US and the UK that they will get this product on the shelves in a couple of years, to replace Suboxone.

So, alcoholism and addiction is now a treatable illness.
22-10-2015, 05:57 PM
(22-10-2015 11:02 AM)Deltabravo Wrote:  This drug converts into baclofen in the body. Baclofen is a drug for MS which is in common use and now approved by the French Government for treatment of alcohol.

Then why not just take Baclofen? I gave it a run for a couple months. Didn't take. What I am trying now is the Sinclair method. Naltroxelone an hour before I drink diminishes the pleasure response and I end up drinking less. What I think is bullshit is that in the US the only treatment for alcohol abuse is abstinence enforced by Antabuse if necessary. 75% of alcoholics using the Sinclair method go back to normal consumption levels. No abstinence required.

There is only one really serious philosophical question, and that is suicide. -Camus
[+] 1 user Likes GirlyMan's post
23-10-2015, 09:02 AM
(03-06-2014 09:46 PM)dancefortwo Wrote:  Ok. I have a toe nail fungus and I've had it for two years. I've tried all the over the counter products, soaked my toe in a vinegar/water solution, got online and someone said to try Vics Vaporub stuff. Someone else said to try mouthwash, rubbing alcohol, baking powder (or was it baking soda) and various other things.

Well, here's my latest effort. I'm hoping it works. I got some Monistat vaginal cream for yeast infections and this rubber-like toe cover from the foot care isle of the drug store and I put a dab of the Monistat on my toe and slip the toe cover over my toe. I'm two weeks into this treatment and it seems to be working really well but I'm afraid that when I stop the toe fungus will come back.

How long does it take to get rid of these damn nail fungi? I'm sick of it. And what do you think of my Monistat idea, will it work????

My doc said years ago that none of the topical stuff worked, there was a prescription med that worked but in his opinion had too many side effects to be worth it.

[Image: dobie.png]Science is the process we've designed to be responsible for generating our best guess as to what the fuck is going on. Girly Man
23-10-2015, 09:52 AM
(23-10-2015 09:02 AM)Dom Wrote:  
(03-06-2014 09:46 PM)dancefortwo Wrote:  Ok. I have a toe nail fungus and I've had it for two years. I've tried all the over the counter products, soaked my toe in a vinegar/water solution, got online and someone said to try Vics Vaporub stuff. Someone else said to try mouthwash, rubbing alcohol, baking powder (or was it baking soda) and various other things.

My doc said years ago that none of the topical stuff worked, there was a prescription med that worked but in his opinion had too many side effects to be worth it.

I actually did get rid of that toenail fungus. It was a year of persistence. I kept applying the antifungal cream and wrapping my toe in the stuff over night for a year. My toenail is all wanky now though.Tongue

Shakespeare's Comedy of Errors.... on Donald J. Trump:

He is deformed, crooked, old, and sere,
Ill-fac’d, worse bodied, shapeless every where;
Vicious, ungentle, foolish, blunt, unkind,
Stigmatical in making, worse in mind.
23-10-2015, 10:31 AM
(22-10-2015 05:57 PM)GirlyMan Wrote:  
(22-10-2015 11:02 AM)Deltabravo Wrote:  This drug converts into baclofen in the body. Baclofen is a drug for MS which is in common use and now approved by the French Government for treatment of alcohol.

Then why not just take Baclofen? I gave it a run for a couple months. Didn't take. What I am trying now is the Sinclair method. Naltroxelone an hour before I drink diminishes the pleasure response and I end up drinking less. What I think is bullshit is that in the US the only treatment for alcohol abuse is abstinence enforced by Antabuse if necessary. 75% of alcoholics using the Sinclair method go back to normal consumption levels. No abstinence required.

Because no one prescribes baclofen or nearly no one for the reasons I mentioned. Baclofen is, as you know, used by a lot of people but it has side effects so it can be unpleasant at high doses and is expensive if you can't get it on prescription. It has a short half life so it wears off and you have to take it in small doses throughout the day, and if you stop taking it, you go into DTs. All in all, it's a hairy trip.

TSM can work for some people who don't have the underlying craving/anxiety disorder upon which baclofen has its effect. The fact that you are able to take Naltrexone an hour before drinking shows that.

I don't know if you have ever experienced what serious alcoholism is like but TSM is totally unworkable for someone who drinks from 6 am and is comotose by 9 am and drinks a liter and a half of vodka a day and sleeps in their own piss and excrement for 15 or more years.