Medical advice

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
23-10-2015, 02:48 PM
RE: Medical advice
(23-10-2015 09:52 AM)dancefortwo Wrote:  
(23-10-2015 09:02 AM)Dom Wrote:  My doc said years ago that none of the topical stuff worked, there was a prescription med that worked but in his opinion had too many side effects to be worth it.

I actually did get rid of that toenail fungus. It was a year of persistence. I kept applying the antifungal cream and wrapping my toe in the stuff over night for a year. My toenail is all wanky now though.Tongue

Mine just fell off after a few months and grew back perfect. Done and done.

[Image: dobie.png]Science is the process we've designed to be responsible for generating our best guess as to what the fuck is going on. Girly Man
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
23-10-2015, 03:54 PM (This post was last modified: 23-10-2015 04:04 PM by GirlyMan.)
(23-10-2015 10:31 AM)Deltabravo Wrote:  
(22-10-2015 05:57 PM)GirlyMan Wrote:  Then why not just take Baclofen? I gave it a run for a couple months. Didn't take. What I am trying now is the Sinclair method. Naltroxelone an hour before I drink diminishes the pleasure response and I end up drinking less. What I think is bullshit is that in the US the only treatment for alcohol abuse is abstinence enforced by Antabuse if necessary. 75% of alcoholics using the Sinclair method go back to normal consumption levels. No abstinence required.

Because no one prescribes baclofen or nearly no one for the reasons I mentioned.

Who said anything about a script? I don't need no stinkin' script.

(23-10-2015 10:31 AM)Deltabravo Wrote:  I don't know if you have ever experienced what serious alcoholism is like but TSM is totally unworkable for someone who drinks from 6 am and is comotose by 9 am and drinks a liter and a half of vodka a day and sleeps in their own piss and excrement for 15 or more years.

I guess I haven't experienced serious alcoholism then. I only drink a liter of vodka a night between 6-11 PM and get up and go to work the next morning bright-eyed and bushy-tailed none the worse for wear. And I don't sleep in my shit and piss. And I don't experience DT's when I take a week off. Must not be a serious alcoholic. Just a casual drinker.

#sigh
23-10-2015, 04:12 PM
(23-10-2015 03:54 PM)GirlyMan Wrote:  
(23-10-2015 10:31 AM)Deltabravo Wrote:  Because no one prescribes baclofen or nearly no one for the reasons I mentioned.

(23-10-2015 10:31 AM)Deltabravo Wrote:  I don't know if you have ever experienced what serious alcoholism is like but TSM is totally unworkable for someone who drinks from 6 am and is comotose by 9 am and drinks a liter and a half of vodka a day and sleeps in their own piss and excrement for 15 or more years.

I guess I haven't experienced serious alcoholism then. I only drink a liter of vodka a night between 6-11 PM and get up and go to work the next morning none the worse for wear. And I don't sleep in my shit and piss. And I don't experience DT's when I take a week off. Must not be a serious alcoholic. Just a casual drinker.

I've heard the "no true alcoholic" line numerous times in AA when someone claims they have learned to moderate their drinking.
Abstinence and meetings only helped me to a point, having a sacred sobriety date, and going to meetings to talk about it all the time drove me nuts.
23-10-2015, 06:53 PM
(22-10-2015 11:02 AM)Deltabravo Wrote:  There's now a cure for addiction. It's being developed by Rekitt Benckiser. http://investor.xenoport.com/releasedeta...eID=848226

You overstate the case - it's in trials.

Quote:Rekitts will get FDA approval of this drug because the now head of the NIH Alcoholism section is George Koob who has been involved in drug treatment of alcoholism for many years and is well aware of the developments in France. Reckitts are so big (Nurofen, Durex, etc etc) and have such enormous clout in the US and the UK that they will get this product on the shelves in a couple of years, to replace Suboxone.

So, alcoholism and addiction is now a treatable illness.

They always were. Drinking Beverage

Skepticism is not a position; it is an approach to claims.
Science is not a subject, but a method.
[Image: flagstiny%206.gif]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 2 users Like Chas's post
23-10-2015, 07:13 PM
(23-10-2015 03:54 PM)GirlyMan Wrote:  
(23-10-2015 10:31 AM)Deltabravo Wrote:  Because no one prescribes baclofen or nearly no one for the reasons I mentioned.

I guess I haven't experienced serious alcoholism then. I only drink a liter of vodka a night between 6-11 PM and get up and go to work the next morning bright-eyed and bushy-tailed none the worse for wear. And I don't sleep in my shit and piss. And I don't experience DT's when I take a week off. Must not be a serious alcoholic. Just a casual drinker.

All Day Chemist! Yes, that's where I get my Retin A. Keeps my skin wrinkle free. That and daily sunscreen. Thumbsup

Shakespeare's Comedy of Errors.... on Donald J. Trump:

He is deformed, crooked, old, and sere,
Ill-fac’d, worse bodied, shapeless every where;
Vicious, ungentle, foolish, blunt, unkind,
Stigmatical in making, worse in mind.
[+] 1 user Likes dancefortwo's post
24-10-2015, 12:02 AM
(23-10-2015 09:52 AM)dancefortwo Wrote:  
(23-10-2015 09:02 AM)Dom Wrote:  My doc said years ago that none of the topical stuff worked, there was a prescription med that worked but in his opinion had too many side effects to be worth it.

I actually did get rid of that toenail fungus. It was a year of persistence. I kept applying the antifungal cream and wrapping my toe in the stuff over night for a year. My toenail is all wanky now though.Tongue

That's not your toenail, dft Tongue
24-10-2015, 12:06 AM
(23-10-2015 10:31 AM)Deltabravo Wrote:  
(22-10-2015 05:57 PM)GirlyMan Wrote:  Then why not just take Baclofen? I gave it a run for a couple months. Didn't take. What I am trying now is the Sinclair method. Naltroxelone an hour before I drink diminishes the pleasure response and I end up drinking less. What I think is bullshit is that in the US the only treatment for alcohol abuse is abstinence enforced by Antabuse if necessary. 75% of alcoholics using the Sinclair method go back to normal consumption levels. No abstinence required.

Because no one prescribes baclofen or nearly no one for the reasons I mentioned. Baclofen is, as you know, used by a lot of people but it has side effects so it can be unpleasant at high doses and is expensive if you can't get it on prescription. It has a short half life so it wears off and you have to take it in small doses throughout the day, and if you stop taking it, you go into DTs. All in all, it's a hairy trip.

TSM can work for some people who don't have the underlying craving/anxiety disorder upon which baclofen has its effect. The fact that you are able to take Naltrexone an hour before drinking shows that.

I don't know if you have ever experienced what serious alcoholism is like but TSM is totally unworkable for someone who drinks from 6 am and is comotose by 9 am and drinks a liter and a half of vodka a day and sleeps in their own piss and excrement for 15 or more years.

You been talking to Q?
24-10-2015, 01:32 PM
No???
26-11-2015, 11:09 PM
I have two questions, Doctor: I have a diagnosis of fibromyalgia, and would like to know:

1. Have you seen any promising research lately (either for symptomatic management or an actual cure)?

2. What other conditions have similar symptoms and could be mistaken for FM?
18-12-2015, 05:22 PM
I've had these small, itchy patches of skin spread over both biceps and on either side of my belly for at least a year now and they never bothered me to the point where I had a doctor have a look at them. Then today I decided to google the issue and found some photos of the early stages of squamous cell skin cancer that look really similar to these patches on my body. I know, I know, everything turns out to be cancer if you look it up on the Internet, but I have to admit that I'm really nervous about seeing a doctor now. Confused

[Image: 7oDSbD4.gif]