Medical advice

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
21-12-2015, 05:27 PM
RE: Medical advice
(21-12-2015 05:07 AM)undergroundp Wrote:  
(21-12-2015 03:53 AM)Vosur Wrote:  I don't think that's it because I don't have any allergies.

Allergies can develop at any time during your lifetime. You can suddenly be allergic to something you weren't before. There's hundreds of things it could be, don't freak out, it's probably nothing. Do show us what they look like though.
Here you go: https://imgur.com/a/enete

The images show the spots on my left and right biceps, the left and right side of my belly, my navel, my right leg and both of my feet. Note that the patches of skin look darker and more red in real life compared to how they look in the images. All of these have been on my body for at least half a year.

[Image: 7oDSbD4.gif]
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
21-12-2015, 05:33 PM
(21-12-2015 05:27 PM)Vosur Wrote:  
(21-12-2015 05:07 AM)undergroundp Wrote:  Allergies can develop at any time during your lifetime. You can suddenly be allergic to something you weren't before. There's hundreds of things it could be, don't freak out, it's probably nothing. Do show us what they look like though.
Here you go: https://imgur.com/a/enete

The images show the spots on my left and right biceps, the left and right side of my belly, my navel, my right leg and both of my feet. Note that the patches of skin look darker and more red in real life compared to how they look in the images. All of these have been on my body for at least half a year.

Parasites? Scabies?

#sigh
21-12-2015, 05:47 PM
Looks like a mild case of psoriasis but I'm not a doctor. Have it checked out.

Shakespeare's Comedy of Errors.... on Donald J. Trump:

He is deformed, crooked, old, and sere,
Ill-fac’d, worse bodied, shapeless every where;
Vicious, ungentle, foolish, blunt, unkind,
Stigmatical in making, worse in mind.
21-12-2015, 05:48 PM
(21-12-2015 05:47 PM)dancefortwo Wrote:  Looks like a mild case of psoriasis but I'm not a doctor. Have it checked out.
All right, all right, I'll make an appointment with my doc. Tongue

[Image: 7oDSbD4.gif]
21-12-2015, 05:54 PM
(14-03-2014 10:07 AM)docskeptic Wrote:  Full Circle's thread got me thinking. There are some really weird and questionable medical practices out there. I would lump chiropractic medicine, osteopathic medicine and homeopathy together in there. In addition there is a host of other similar practices-reiki, ayurvedic, aromatherapy, etc. which all fall in the woo category.

As an allopath, I would only consider treatments that have scientific validation or are based on reasonable scientific assumptions.

If people within the TTA community have questions about anything medical related, please feel free to post them (or PM me if confidentiality is desired) and I'll do my best to answer your questions as fully and honestly as I can. I'm sure Mark Fulton and any other medical professionals in the forum would not mind jumping in as well.

Let me take this opportunity to once again introduce quackwatch.com to the TTA community. It's a comprehensive database of questionable medical practices, maintained by Stephen Barrett, MD, an unsung hero of the skeptic community.

Doc

I live in the Dominican Republic and had had diarrhea for a couple of years. I was sitting on the toilet and the Haitian girl who cleans for me heard the old rumbling asshole and said not to flush. She looked in the toilet and told me the name (in her language Creole) of the parasite that I had and went out into the jungle here and came back with 4 different kinds of leaves to make into teas for me to drink. I had been to "real doctors" for it twice to no avail. but her teas cleared things up for me and within 3 days the multiyear diarrhea was gone!
21-12-2015, 06:03 PM
(21-12-2015 05:54 PM)DerFish Wrote:  
(14-03-2014 10:07 AM)docskeptic Wrote:  Full Circle's thread got me thinking. There are some really weird and questionable medical practices out there. I would lump chiropractic medicine, osteopathic medicine and homeopathy together in there. In addition there is a host of other similar practices-reiki, ayurvedic, aromatherapy, etc. which all fall in the woo category.

As an allopath, I would only consider treatments that have scientific validation or are based on reasonable scientific assumptions.

If people within the TTA community have questions about anything medical related, please feel free to post them (or PM me if confidentiality is desired) and I'll do my best to answer your questions as fully and honestly as I can. I'm sure Mark Fulton and any other medical professionals in the forum would not mind jumping in as well.

Let me take this opportunity to once again introduce quackwatch.com to the TTA community. It's a comprehensive database of questionable medical practices, maintained by Stephen Barrett, MD, an unsung hero of the skeptic community.

Doc

I live in the Dominican Republic and had had diarrhea for a couple of years. I was sitting on the toilet and the Haitian girl who cleans for me heard the old rumbling asshole and said not to flush. She looked in the toilet and told me the name (in her language Creole) of the parasite that I had and went out into the jungle here and came back with 4 different kinds of leaves to make into teas for me to drink. I had been to "real doctors" for it twice to no avail. but her teas cleared things up for me and within 3 days the multiyear diarrhea was gone!

That's different from what doc is talking about. You are talking about a local bug and how local natives have found over the centuries that certain plants help. A lot of our modern meds come from plants too. I don't tend to discount specific local things like that. I would have tried the tea also. But you won't find me trying any of the woo doc mentioned above.

[Image: dobie.png]Science is the process we've designed to be responsible for generating our best guess as to what the fuck is going on. Girly Man
[+] 1 user Likes Dom's post
21-12-2015, 06:08 PM
(14-03-2014 11:48 AM)docskeptic Wrote:  
(14-03-2014 11:33 AM)evenheathen Wrote:  I'd be interested to hear if you have any knowledge or opinions of IPT (Insulin Potentiation Therapy). It's listed under the quackwatch site, however I have a friend who's wife had a small melanoma who sought out this treatment. The firsthand accounts of those from the clinic who had been on IPT after traditional treatments had failed them were pretty amazing.

Also, to my uneducated mind, the science behind it seems simple and logical. Thoughts?

Evenheathen,

I would avoid this. The "science" behind it is highly doubtful to say the least. The supporters claim that inducing a low blood sugar with insulin "opens up the receptors" on cancer cells and make them more sensitive to chemotherapy allowing doctors to use lower doses of medication, with less side effects as a consequence.

There is no scientific basis for this claim. Moreover, the side effects of hypoglycemia can be dangerous, occasionally even fatal.

Here's the American Cancer Society's stand on the treatment, "Despite supporters' claims that insulin potentiation therapy has been well researched, no scientific studies that show safety and effectiveness have been published in available peer-reviewed journals. These claims cannot be verified."

Hope that helps!

Doc

Not the same thing actually, but there is an internet ad for curing diabetes in 19 days. Guaranteed of course, Just $49.00. So I decided to give it a try, about the same amount I spend each month for pills. But as I was getting close to the page to authorize payment they told me i would also get absolutely free a cook book for diabetics. Why? If in three weeks I wasn't going to be diabetic any more isn't it a bit late for a cook book for diabetics? SO I didn't bite!
[+] 1 user Likes DerFish's post
21-12-2015, 06:13 PM
(21-12-2015 06:08 PM)DerFish Wrote:  Not the same thing actually, but there is an internet ad for curing diabetes in 19 days. Guaranteed of course, Just $49.00. So I decided to give it a try, about the same amount I spend each month for pills. But as I was getting close to the page to authorize payment they told me i would also get absolutely free a cook book for diabetics. Why? If in three weeks I wasn't going to be diabetic any more isn't it a bit late for a cook book for diabetics? SO I didn't bite!

Yeah, I'm gonna stick with the Metformin, Invokana, and Januvia for like $12/month. You can't argue with a 5.3% A1C.

And the Invokana pisses away 500 calories of sugar/day. Lost 25 lbs so far. Smile

#sigh
22-12-2015, 04:32 AM
(21-12-2015 05:27 PM)Vosur Wrote:  Here you go: https://imgur.com/a/enete

Oh oh. My boyfriend had random spots like these all over his body a few months ago. They lasted for 3 or 4 months. They were kinda rough in texture when you touched them. I don't remember if they were itchy, but they disappeared on their own eventually.

It does look a bit like psoriasis, but all the people I've known with psoriasis had more extended patches, they didn't look like individual spots.

Keep in mind that many people get random spots on their bodies (for different reasons) when they are under a lot of stress. I've seen it happen so many times. It even happened to me during my finals.

And finally, this isn't cancer Tongue

"Behind every great pirate, there is a great butt."
-Guybrush Threepwood-
[+] 1 user Likes undergroundp's post
22-12-2015, 12:23 PM
The pictures indeed look very much like psoriasis, it doesn't necessarily cover the whole body.