Medical advice

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
07-04-2016, 09:11 AM
RE: Medical advice
(06-04-2016 02:33 PM)Loom Wrote:  Ah ha, of course. This is just my luck. Just as I was feeling better, I have a full blown panic attack--while I'm at work [...]

I can empathise with you on this one. I once had a panic attack at work (don't have 'em any more) and luckily my manager at the time had a girlfriend who was suffering from a depressive illness, so he was well versed on the subject, and knew how to stabilise me.

I think the main thing with these random attacks—and it is difficult to isolate a specific trigger—is to ensure that your boss/supervisor/manager is made aware of your issue in advance, hopefully supported with a letter written by your primary health carer. I think it's also critical that your boss(es) let you calm down and/or relax in a private space, out of sight of other employees, or off the shop floor or whatever. They should also be happy to phone your significant other if you become unduly physically distressed, or call a taxi to get you home maybe. I also kept a second bottle of Xanax in my work locker for occasions like this.

I can understand your concerns with these incidents, but please know that they're not insurmountable in the mid-term; time can reduce the frequency of panic attacks, and as they decrease, the process accelerates on its own. Also, never think that you're coming apart at the seams or losing the plot (sorry, that sounds a bit glib). And don't worry about your job to the degree that it takes precedence over your own health, in your mind. A job is just a job, and you can't be made redundant because of an intermittent illness; you need to think primarily of you.

My thoughts are with you Loom, and all I can say from a distance is hang in there mate. Smile

I'm a creationist... I believe that man created God.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
07-04-2016, 09:25 AM
Is this shit still going?

Go to the doctor OP or I will by a plane ticket and kill you.

Then you can see the undertaker.

Mind you, I am drunk. Big Grin

NOTE: Member, Tomasia uses this site to slander other individuals. He then later proclaims it a joke, but not in public.
I will call him a liar and a dog here and now.
Banjo.
07-04-2016, 09:56 AM
(07-04-2016 09:11 AM)SYZ Wrote:  
(06-04-2016 02:33 PM)Loom Wrote:  Ah ha, of course. This is just my luck. Just as I was feeling better, I have a full blown panic attack--while I'm at work [...]

I can empathise with you on this one. I once had a panic attack at work (don't have 'em any more) and luckily my manager at the time had a girlfriend who was suffering from a depressive illness, so he was well versed on the subject, and knew how to stabilise me.

I think the main thing with these random attacks—and it is difficult to isolate a specific trigger—is to ensure that your boss/supervisor/manager is made aware of your issue in advance, hopefully supported with a letter written by your primary health carer. I think it's also critical that your boss(es) let you calm down and/or relax in a private space, out of sight of other employees, or off the shop floor or whatever. They should also be happy to phone your significant other if you become unduly physically distressed, or call a taxi to get you home maybe. I also kept a second bottle of Xanax in my work locker for occasions like this.

I can understand your concerns with these incidents, but please know that they're not insurmountable in the mid-term; time can reduce the frequency of panic attacks, and as they decrease, the process accelerates on its own. Also, never think that you're coming apart at the seams or losing the plot (sorry, that sounds a bit glib). And don't worry about your job to the degree that it takes precedence over your own health, in your mind. A job is just a job, and you can't be made redundant because of an intermittent illness; you need to think primarily of you.

My thoughts are with you Loom, and all I can say from a distance is hang in there mate. Smile

Thank you <3

I normally keep my Xanax in my purse at all times, but it's mysteriously vanished.

My manager was very understanding even though I'd never told her about my anxiety. She walked me all the way to the door and even requested I get sick leave to make up for the lost hours Smile

As far as what the trigger was, I have no idea, but finding out I did not have my Xanax on me, and that I was having trouble getting a hold of my parents (my phone is going through its death throes), certaintly sent me through the roof. Didn't help that some coworkers were dismissive about it, telling me to just 'calm down.'

Almost told em I'd fckin love to, ya twats. But I'm too nice for that Dodgy

Anxiety sucks.

Ignorance is not to be ignored.

Check out my DA gallery! http://oo-kiri-oo.deviantart.com/gallery/
[+] 1 user Likes Loom's post
02-05-2016, 09:10 PM
I do have a question for you medical experts. I recently noticed a small depression in my skull--located almost exactly on the sagittal suture and lambdoid suture. It runs along a line, so it may just be where the sutures are.

Knowing me, I've probably always've had it and only now noticed it. I haven't (yet) experienced any cognitive issues, aside from anxiety. When having an anxiety attack, lately it feels like my head has been stuffed full. This feeling persists a few hours after the attack (I get high blood pressure during em, which may explain the head fullness feeling). In any case, let's assume it'd developed recently.

Is there any cause for concern? I have another appointment in a week. Should I mention it?

02-05-2016, 09:15 PM
(02-05-2016 09:10 PM)Loom Wrote:  I do have a question for you medical experts. I recently noticed a small depression in my skull--located almost exactly on the sagittal suture and lambdoid suture. It runs along a line, so it may just be where the sutures are.

Knowing me, I've probably always've had it and only now noticed it. I haven't (yet) experienced any cognitive issues, aside from anxiety. When having an anxiety attack, lately it feels like my head has been stuffed full. This feeling persists a few hours after the attack (I get high blood pressure during em, which may explain the head fullness feeling). In any case, let's assume it'd developed recently.

Is there any cause for concern? I have another appointment in a week. Should I mention it?

I'm not sure. Though, if you're worried, it probably wouldn't hurt to mention it when you go see your doctor.
02-05-2016, 09:23 PM
(02-05-2016 09:15 PM)CosmicRaven Wrote:  
(02-05-2016 09:10 PM)Loom Wrote:  I do have a question for you medical experts. I recently noticed a small depression in my skull--located almost exactly on the sagittal suture and lambdoid suture. It runs along a line, so it may just be where the sutures are.

I'm not sure. Though, if you're worried, it probably wouldn't hurt to mention it when you go see your doctor.
I guess I may as well. I tend to get hung over things like this too easy. The depression isn't even that deep, but it's enough to get me concerned. I worry too much Sad

04-05-2016, 08:25 PM
(02-05-2016 09:23 PM)Loom Wrote:  
(02-05-2016 09:15 PM)CosmicRaven Wrote:  I'm not sure. Though, if you're worried, it probably wouldn't hurt to mention it when you go see your doctor.
I guess I may as well. I tend to get hung over things like this too easy. The depression isn't even that deep, but it's enough to get me concerned. I worry too much Sad

Hug
19-05-2016, 01:09 PM
So I just went to see a psychiatrist. Answered a lot of questions, did no therapy, and he prescribed me a new medication, gabapentin (100mg 3x a day, to be increased to 300mg 3x a day in two weeks).

Thing is, I already take BuSpar (5mg 2x a day).

I asked him if there were any interactions between the two, he assured me no.

I just read up that there are indeed MODERATE interactions, including respiratory depression.

I tried to call my PCP for advice, but she was unavailable, left a message.

I'm always a worrywart over even the slightest thing, but I really don't want to take -both- medications if I can help it. Those interactions have me very concerned.

The BuSpar I feel is helping enough.

19-05-2016, 01:45 PM
(19-05-2016 01:09 PM)Loom Wrote:  So I just went to see a psychiatrist. Answered a lot of questions, did no therapy, and he prescribed me a new medication, gabapentin (100mg 3x a day, to be increased to 300mg 3x a day in two weeks).

Thing is, I already take BuSpar (5mg 2x a day).

I asked him if there were any interactions between the two, he assured me no.

I just read up that there are indeed MODERATE interactions, including respiratory depression.

I tried to call my PCP for advice, but she was unavailable, left a message.

I'm always a worrywart over even the slightest thing, but I really don't want to take -both- medications if I can help it. Those interactions have me very concerned.

The BuSpar I feel is helping enough.

Always check for interactions; you made a wise decision.You may find in the course of increasing dosages that an intermediate dose works better, without the bad effects. Good luck with your meds.
24-05-2016, 05:22 PM
I think my metabolism is broken...
I am cold very easily, having issues with my thyroids a lot, gain weight easily but losing weight is very hard, craving sugar a lot, excersize doesn't change anything in terms of weight, eating a normal healthy diet makes me gain weight.

It may be a mix of different reasons:
* The way I grew up (poor, cheap food, very active child/teenager)
* After gaining weight, at about 25 years old, I tried many different diets

Currently I am as active as possible: Cycling to work and home, walking instead of taking the bus, taking the stairs whenever reasonable (I will walk the stairs up to 3 levels, everything above, I will take the lift).
Current eating habits: I eat healthy (no greasy stuff, lots of vegetables, lean meat, etc). I snack three times a day but sometimes that snack can be unhealthy (not always though).
Current drinking habits: Almost no alcohol, water, fizzy diet drinks (coke zero and such), a juice here and there, one coffee a day
Once a week, there is a theme day for food at work, and I won't bother with watching what I eat then. But that is just the one day.

But this current life style makes me GAIN weight. I don't get it. I would expect to, at least, just stay on a weight plateaux but in fact I am gaining.
I am going to add another level of activity on top once I get my next pay. I will sign up to the gym across the street from work and go during lunch breaks.

I had my GP check my blood and she said that everything is fine. But she always says that everything is fine, no matter what the question is so I cannot trust this assessment, sorry. I would like to get my thyroids checked properly and have my metabolism assessed by a professional, but I need a solution until I saved enough money to get all those check ups done (doctors are way too expensive...).

So any tips to try kinda fix or help with this until I can go to a good doctor?

"Freedom is the freedom to say that 2+2=4" - George Orwell (in 1984)