Medical advice

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
24-05-2016, 06:11 PM
RE: Medical advice
(24-05-2016 05:22 PM)Leela Wrote:  I think my metabolism is broken...
I am cold very easily, having issues with my thyroids a lot, gain weight easily but losing weight is very hard, craving sugar a lot, excersize doesn't change anything in terms of weight, eating a normal healthy diet makes me gain weight.

It may be a mix of different reasons:
* The way I grew up (poor, cheap food, very active child/teenager)
* After gaining weight, at about 25 years old, I tried many different diets

Currently I am as active as possible: Cycling to work and home, walking instead of taking the bus, taking the stairs whenever reasonable (I will walk the stairs up to 3 levels, everything above, I will take the lift).
Current eating habits: I eat healthy (no greasy stuff, lots of vegetables, lean meat, etc). I snack three times a day but sometimes that snack can be unhealthy (not always though).
Current drinking habits: Almost no alcohol, water, fizzy diet drinks (coke zero and such), a juice here and there, one coffee a day
Once a week, there is a theme day for food at work, and I won't bother with watching what I eat then. But that is just the one day.

But this current life style makes me GAIN weight. I don't get it. I would expect to, at least, just stay on a weight plateaux but in fact I am gaining.
I am going to add another level of activity on top once I get my next pay. I will sign up to the gym across the street from work and go during lunch breaks.

I had my GP check my blood and she said that everything is fine. But she always says that everything is fine, no matter what the question is so I cannot trust this assessment, sorry. I would like to get my thyroids checked properly and have my metabolism assessed by a professional, but I need a solution until I saved enough money to get all those check ups done (doctors are way too expensive...).

So any tips to try kinda fix or help with this until I can go to a good doctor?

Drop the diet drinks. I am too lazy right now ( Smokin ) to look for the study, but diet drinks are being blamed for weight gain now.

[Image: dobie.png]Science is the process we've designed to be responsible for generating our best guess as to what the fuck is going on. Girly Man
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
16-06-2016, 03:40 PM
Question for those who have used Xanax or have experience with it: I've been taking it steadily for almost 2 months (.25mg 3x a day) and started tapering down to .25mg a day/every other day. The last 3 days I've had this tension headache--no pain, just a constant pressure. It's making it hard to think. Recently started getting heartburn as well. Are these just withdrawal symptoms?

Ignorance is not to be ignored.

Check out my DA gallery! http://oo-kiri-oo.deviantart.com/gallery/
17-06-2016, 04:36 AM
(24-05-2016 05:22 PM)Leela Wrote:  I think my metabolism is broken...
I am cold very easily, having issues with my thyroids a lot, gain weight easily but losing weight is very hard, craving sugar a lot, excersize doesn't change anything in terms of weight, eating a normal healthy diet makes me gain weight.

It may be a mix of different reasons:
* The way I grew up (poor, cheap food, very active child/teenager)
* After gaining weight, at about 25 years old, I tried many different diets

Currently I am as active as possible: Cycling to work and home, walking instead of taking the bus, taking the stairs whenever reasonable (I will walk the stairs up to 3 levels, everything above, I will take the lift).
Current eating habits: I eat healthy (no greasy stuff, lots of vegetables, lean meat, etc). I snack three times a day but sometimes that snack can be unhealthy (not always though).
Current drinking habits: Almost no alcohol, water, fizzy diet drinks (coke zero and such), a juice here and there, one coffee a day
Once a week, there is a theme day for food at work, and I won't bother with watching what I eat then. But that is just the one day.

But this current life style makes me GAIN weight. I don't get it. I would expect to, at least, just stay on a weight plateaux but in fact I am gaining.
I am going to add another level of activity on top once I get my next pay. I will sign up to the gym across the street from work and go during lunch breaks.

I had my GP check my blood and she said that everything is fine. But she always says that everything is fine, no matter what the question is so I cannot trust this assessment, sorry. I would like to get my thyroids checked properly and have my metabolism assessed by a professional, but I need a solution until I saved enough money to get all those check ups done (doctors are way too expensive...).

So any tips to try kinda fix or help with this until I can go to a good doctor?
I would suggest you to find out your Basal Metabolic Rate (BMR) and start calorie counting. Weight loss is as simple as calories in vs calories out. If you're gaining weight, it's because you consume more calories than your body uses.

[Image: 7oDSbD4.gif]
22-09-2016, 01:33 PM
So past 3 nights in a row I've been waking up with bone dry mouth, throat, and eyes. Last night tried to counteract this by drinking tons of water and eating watermelon. Still woke up with super dry mouth and eyes and a serious need to pee.

I'm wasn't ever thirsty, though. Just dried out.

I had my thyroid checked a month-ish ago, along with my blood sugar levels, both of which were normal, so I don't think those are are the problem.

I'm still slowly tapering myself off the Xanax, so I wonder if dry eyes are a withdrawal symptom like dry mouth is.

In any case it's costing me sleep.

Anyone have advice? I'll be scheduling an appointment with the doc if this goes on for a week.

22-09-2016, 02:01 PM
(22-09-2016 01:33 PM)Loom Wrote:  So past 3 nights in a row I've been waking up with bone dry mouth, throat, and eyes. Last night tried to counteract this by drinking tons of water and eating watermelon. Still woke up with super dry mouth and eyes and a serious need to pee.

I had my thyroid checked a month-ish ago, along with my blood sugar levels, both of which were normal, so I don't think those are are the problem.

I'm still slowly tapering myself off the Xanax, so I wonder if dry eyes are a withdrawal symptom like dry mouth is.

Anyone have advice? I'll be scheduling an appointment with the doc if this goes on for a week.

A lot of meds can cause this. Got any new meds? Takes a while for them to make it bad....

[Image: dobie.png]Science is the process we've designed to be responsible for generating our best guess as to what the fuck is going on. Girly Man
[+] 1 user Likes Dom's post
22-09-2016, 02:07 PM
(22-09-2016 01:33 PM)Loom Wrote:  So past 3 nights in a row I've been waking up with bone dry mouth, throat, and eyes. Last night tried to counteract this by drinking tons of water and eating watermelon. Still woke up with super dry mouth and eyes and a serious need to pee.

My meds give me dry mouth in my sleep. Water doesn't last very long. Biotene works well.

There is only one really serious philosophical question, and that is suicide. -Camus
22-09-2016, 03:01 PM (This post was last modified: 22-09-2016 03:13 PM by Loom.)
(22-09-2016 02:01 PM)Dom Wrote:  

A lot of meds can cause this. Got any new meds? Takes a while for them to make it bad....
Been taking Zoloft and BuSpar for the better part of the last 3 months. Dry mouth is listed as a side-effect of each. Didn't think about that.

I'm going to use some eye drops tonight to see if that helps.

22-09-2016, 03:04 PM
(22-09-2016 02:07 PM)GirlyMan Wrote:  

My meds give me dry mouth in my sleep. Water doesn't last very long. Biotene works well.
I've seen Biotene at my pharmacy, I'll def give that a try Thumbsup

Thanks guys.

22-09-2016, 03:28 PM

Your case may be more complicated than this, but I have the same problem, and for me, it's very simple. I'm a mouthbreather -- I sleep with my mouth open, and breathe through my mouth, and that will dry you out. I've been trying to get into the habit of keeping my mouth shut and breathing through my nose, which seems to help, but it's hard to do -- especially when the nose is congested, which mine often is.

If it's medication-related, well, that's something else entirely.
22-09-2016, 03:37 PM
(22-09-2016 03:28 PM)Grasshopper Wrote:  

Your case may be more complicated than this, but I have the same problem, and for me, it's very simple. I'm a mouthbreather -- I sleep with my mouth open, and breathe through my mouth, and that will dry you out. I've been trying to get into the habit of keeping my mouth shut and breathing through my nose, which seems to help, but it's hard to do -- especially when the nose is congested, which mine often is.

If it's medication-related, well, that's something else entirely.

I thought that at first too, but I usually only mouth-breathe if I have a cold plugging up my nose. Plus my mouth and eyes feel a lil dryer in the day, so I think that's ruled out.

My salivary and tear glands must be on strike or somethin.