Medical advice

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
15-03-2014, 06:38 AM
RE: Medical advice
(14-03-2014 11:20 PM)GirlyMan Wrote:  
(14-03-2014 11:15 PM)Bucky Ball Wrote:  Except when you're out in the sailor suit thingy.

Forgot about that, Yeah well except for that. Tongue

[Image: girly.png]

You're so ugly I love you
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
15-03-2014, 08:42 AM
What a kind and wonderful thread. Thank you, Doc and Mark.

We have enough youth. How about looking for the Fountain of Smart?
Find all posts by this user
[+] 1 user Likes Thinkerbelle's post
15-03-2014, 08:54 AM
(15-03-2014 08:42 AM)Thinkerbelle Wrote:  What a kind and wonderful thread. Thank you, Doc and Mark.

Yabut, just think how much better it could be with some Chippy. Yes

Skepticism is not a position; it is an approach to claims.
Science is not a subject, but a method.
[Image: flagstiny%206.gif]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 1 user Likes Chas's post
15-03-2014, 09:04 AM
(14-03-2014 11:17 PM)Anjele Wrote:  I fit only one of the main causes of breast cancer. Though my mother also had it, genetic testing showed that I do not have the marker...good news for my kids.

I'll read more on the selenium. I see there is a lot about how it is good for chemo patients. I suppose I am not your typical person with breast cancer. I just went straight for the mastectomies and removal of sentinel nodes and said no thank you to any chemo or rads. I was also one of the 'lucky' ones to be diagnosed with Triple Negative Breast Cancer. That was fun, since there was little on line for me to read up on other than the statistics for survival weren't real spiffy.

I was told that TNBC will usually kick your butt in three years or your risk level will drop at that point much more so than with other breast cancers, as far as recurrence rates. The first oncologist I saw was ready to pump me full of chemo without giving me options, so I found a breast cancer researcher. So far my CA 27-29 tests every six months have been really good and well below a concern level. Oddly the first oncologist told me there was NO blood test available and I therefore had no choice but to start chemo.

My thought process was that if I only had three years left I didn't want to spend it bald and with no fingernails to drag myself up out of the toilet with as I puked my way up to a strong potential of chemo-induced leukemia followed by a wasting death.

Though I give tons of credit to my medical team, there were suggestions made all along the process that I didn't feel good about...one would have meant a complete misdiagnosis and I would probably be dead now because of it. I trusted my gut, did my research, and didn't let anyone with a lab coat bully me into thinking I wasn't in charge of my own health. I finally was able to put together a team to try to get me through this...the problem has been the continuing pain.

Tomorrow it will be four years since I had my expanders removed and my implants placed. What a long strange trip it's been!

Cue Girly...

Anjele. Bilateral mastectomies. Hmm... Your last name isn't Jolie, by any chance?

Are you on Arimidex or are you done?

Doc
15-03-2014, 09:16 AM
(15-03-2014 08:42 AM)Thinkerbelle Wrote:  What a kind and wonderful thread. Thank you, Doc and Mark.

You're welcome. People helping people. Isn't that what makes the world go round?

Doc
[+] 2 users Like docskeptic's post
15-03-2014, 09:18 AM
(15-03-2014 09:04 AM)docskeptic Wrote:  
(14-03-2014 11:17 PM)Anjele Wrote:  I fit only one of the main causes of breast cancer. Though my mother also had it, genetic testing showed that I do not have the marker...good news for my kids.

I'll read more on the selenium. I see there is a lot about how it is good for chemo patients. I suppose I am not your typical person with breast cancer. I just went straight for the mastectomies and removal of sentinel nodes and said no thank you to any chemo or rads. I was also one of the 'lucky' ones to be diagnosed with Triple Negative Breast Cancer. That was fun, since there was little on line for me to read up on other than the statistics for survival weren't real spiffy.

I was told that TNBC will usually kick your butt in three years or your risk level will drop at that point much more so than with other breast cancers, as far as recurrence rates. The first oncologist I saw was ready to pump me full of chemo without giving me options, so I found a breast cancer researcher. So far my CA 27-29 tests every six months have been really good and well below a concern level. Oddly the first oncologist told me there was NO blood test available and I therefore had no choice but to start chemo.

My thought process was that if I only had three years left I didn't want to spend it bald and with no fingernails to drag myself up out of the toilet with as I puked my way up to a strong potential of chemo-induced leukemia followed by a wasting death.

Though I give tons of credit to my medical team, there were suggestions made all along the process that I didn't feel good about...one would have meant a complete misdiagnosis and I would probably be dead now because of it. I trusted my gut, did my research, and didn't let anyone with a lab coat bully me into thinking I wasn't in charge of my own health. I finally was able to put together a team to try to get me through this...the problem has been the continuing pain.

Tomorrow it will be four years since I had my expanders removed and my implants placed. What a long strange trip it's been!

Cue Girly...

Anjele. Bilateral mastectomies. Hmm... Your last name isn't Jolie, by any chance?

Are you on Arimidex or are you done?

Doc

Haha! Were I Jolie I would be traveling the world and hanging with Brad Pitt...not that I don't love you guys.

I have taken no cancer drugs at all through this. We were following a lump on the left side. I went in for an ultrasound on that side and was given the all clear. I asked the doctor to scan the right side as long as I was there. A tumor was found quite easily, was biopsied and came back positive. After surgery, the pathology showed cancer in both sides. My decision to remove both was the right thing to do.

A

See here they are the bruises some were self-inflicted and some showed up along the way. - JF
[+] 2 users Like Anjele's post
15-03-2014, 09:24 AM
(14-03-2014 08:11 PM)GirlyMan Wrote:  So I ,take a shitload of supplements, not vitamins and minerals other than D3, but resveratrol, curcumin, niacinamide, NAC, chanca piedra, silymarin and hydergine and piracetam along with metformin, simvastatin and lisinopril for the prediabetes and seroquel for sleep. Am I wasting my money? I'm liking the hydergine and piracetam mixed with some choline from lecitihin capsules and the liver really likes the NAC.

Girly, barring Vitamin D, it's very unusual to be deficient in any vitamin, trace mineral or nutrient on a Western non-vegetarian diet. Please check out the following:

Office of dietary supplements

I don't know if the supplements you're taking are harming you but by the same token, I'm not sure if they are helping you. Why did you pick those particular supplements to take?

Doc
15-03-2014, 09:30 AM
Why is this in Atheism and Theism rather than Health and Psychology?
15-03-2014, 09:33 AM
I don't mind if a mod moves the thread to the appropriate section. I didn't think of it when I started the thread.

Doc
15-03-2014, 09:51 AM
Speaking of cracking joints...

I herniated my C3 and C4 years ago, for a while the discs were pressing against the nerves making my right arm go numb or sometimes giving me excrutiating pain. To this day I can't run or jump without the arm going somewhat numb.

After X-rays and MRI I had a consultation with a surgeon whereby he suggested that an operation to implant this http://www.synthes.com/MediaBin/US%20DAT...J8414D.pdf or this http://www.spineuniverse.com/treatments/...prestige-0
might help me without restricting movement like fusing the vertebrae would.

The catch is he estimates that there is a 50% probability of not getting any better, 40% chance of improvement, 7% getting worse to the point of being paralyzed and a 3% chance of death (these numbers may not be exact but close enough).

I have decided I don't need to run or jump for now No

Anyone have experience with any of these?

“I am quite sure now that often, very often, in matters concerning religion and politics a man’s reasoning powers are not above the monkey’s.”~Mark Twain
“Ocean: A body of water occupying about two-thirds of a world made for man - who has no gills.”~ Ambrose Bierce