Medical advice

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
15-03-2014, 11:52 AM (This post was last modified: 15-03-2014 12:03 PM by GirlyMan.)
RE: Medical advice
(15-03-2014 08:54 AM)Chas Wrote:  
(15-03-2014 08:42 AM)Thinkerbelle Wrote:  What a kind and wonderful thread. Thank you, Doc and Mark.

Yabut, just think how much better it could be with some Chippy. Yes

Yeah, he would've insulted both the docs and this thread would be dead by now.

(15-03-2014 09:24 AM)docskeptic Wrote:  Girly, barring Vitamin D, it's very unusual to be deficient in any vitamin, trace mineral or nutrient on a Western non-vegetarian diet. Please check out the following:

Office of dietary supplements

I don't know if the supplements you're taking are harming you but by the same token, I'm not sure if they are helping you. Why did you pick those particular supplements to take?

Doc

Yeah, I don't supplement vitamins or minerals other than D. The other supplements I take are because there is some evidence that they either 1) help lower my fatass high blood sugars or b) protect my liver against the insults I hurl at it or 3) enhance my feeble cognitive abilities (hydergine and piracetam).

Oh and I slather on varying doses of Androgel on my fatass every day based on my mood 'cause I'm old and shit and my fellas went into early retirement years ago.

Thanks again for this thread! Thumbsup We should probably sticky it.

There is only one really serious philosophical question, and that is suicide. -Camus
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
15-03-2014, 02:32 PM (This post was last modified: 15-03-2014 03:17 PM by Mark Fulton.)
(15-03-2014 09:24 AM)docskeptic Wrote:  
(14-03-2014 08:11 PM)GirlyMan Wrote:  So I ,take a shitload of supplements, not vitamins and minerals other than D3, but resveratrol, curcumin, niacinamide, NAC, chanca piedra, silymarin and hydergine and piracetam along with metformin, simvastatin and lisinopril for the prediabetes and seroquel for sleep. Am I wasting my money? I'm liking the hydergine and piracetam mixed with some choline from lecitihin capsules and the liver really likes the NAC.

Girly, barring Vitamin D, it's very unusual to be deficient in any vitamin, trace mineral or nutrient on a Western non-vegetarian diet. Please check out the following:

I don't know if the supplements you're taking are harming you but by the same token, I'm not sure if they are helping you. Why did you pick those particular supplements to take?

Doc

I have to respectfully disagree with you about that...even though there's a school of thought that claims this.

Apart from vit D deficiency, I commonly see magnesium, zinc, iron, b12, omega 3 deficiencies.

Iodine deficiency is also a problem. So is selenium deficiency.

I occasionally see folate deficiency (admittedly in people with a poor diet)

Some reading...

http://www.healthyfoodguide.com.au/artic...ficiencies

http://www.marksdailyapple.com/5-common-...z2w4CMDx3z

http://www.mnn.com/health/fitness-well-b...e-you-sick

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/kelly-dorf...33446.html

http://www.vitamins-and-health-facts.com...ncies.html
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
15-03-2014, 03:09 PM
My husband recently discovered ping pong ball sized lumps behind his ears near the bottom of his jawline and is worried that it is something serious... but I cant get him to go to the doctors.
15-03-2014, 03:19 PM
(15-03-2014 03:09 PM)QUELSQUELS Wrote:  My husband recently discovered ping pong ball sized lumps behind his ears near the bottom of his jawline and is worried that it is something serious... but I cant get him to go to the doctors.

That sounds like swollen lymph nodes and he should see a doctor.
[+] 3 users Like Mark Fulton's post
15-03-2014, 03:24 PM
(15-03-2014 11:52 AM)GirlyMan Wrote:  
(15-03-2014 08:54 AM)Chas Wrote:  Yabut, just think how much better it could be with some Chippy. Yes

Yeah, he would've insulted both the docs and this thread would be dead by now.

(15-03-2014 09:24 AM)docskeptic Wrote:  Girly, barring Vitamin D, it's very unusual to be deficient in any vitamin, trace mineral or nutrient on a Western non-vegetarian diet. Please check out the following:

Doc

Yeah, I don't supplement vitamins or minerals other than D. The other supplements I take are because there is some evidence that they either 1) help lower my fatass high blood sugars or b) protect my liver against the insults I hurl at it or 3) enhance my feeble cognitive abilities (hydergine and piracetam).

Oh and I slather on varying doses of Androgel on my fatass every day based on my mood 'cause I'm old and shit and my fellas went into early retirement years ago.

Thanks again for this thread! Thumbsup We should probably sticky it.

"Yeah, he would've insulted both the docs and this thread would be dead by now."

It's far more pleasant and productive to have sensible conversations without ignorant abusive comments from the peanut gallery.
[+] 4 users Like Mark Fulton's post
15-03-2014, 06:51 PM
(15-03-2014 03:19 PM)Mark Fulton Wrote:  
(15-03-2014 03:09 PM)QUELSQUELS Wrote:  My husband recently discovered ping pong ball sized lumps behind his ears near the bottom of his jawline and is worried that it is something serious... but I cant get him to go to the doctors.

That sounds like swollen lymph nodes and he should see a doctor.

I agree. Also have him check his armpits and groins for similar swellings. Keep track of any fevers, night sweats or unexplained weight loss. He should see a doctor and at the very minimum he needs to have some blood work done. It might be a benign lymphadenopathy, but if it's something more serious then the earlier it's diagnosed, the better.

Doc
[+] 1 user Likes docskeptic's post
15-03-2014, 07:41 PM
I wouldn't classify chiropractic medicine as weird or questionable medicine! I have been to see a chiropractor on a few occasions and have walked out every time feeling a shit ton better than when I went in as well as an inch taller!

Onward, my faithful steed!
[Image: ezgif-save_zps4d93a674.gif?t=1395781443]
15-03-2014, 07:53 PM (This post was last modified: 15-03-2014 08:08 PM by GirlyMan.)

That's some bigass swollen lymph nodes. Tell him to go to the doctor or he gonna die. That's how ManlyGirl gets my ass to go to the doc.

(15-03-2014 02:32 PM)Mark Fulton Wrote:  

Doc

I have to respectfully disagree with you about that...even though there's a school of thought that claims this.

Apart from vit D deficiency, I commonly see magnesium, zinc, iron, b12, omega 3 deficiencies.

I take B12 because it's associated with lower levels from the metformin and I take fish oil 'cause hey, it can't hurt my lipids. And CoQ10 'cause I take a statin and shit.

There is only one really serious philosophical question, and that is suicide. -Camus
15-03-2014, 08:01 PM (This post was last modified: 16-03-2014 11:11 AM by docskeptic.)
(15-03-2014 07:41 PM)Crulax Wrote:  I wouldn't classify chiropractic medicine as weird or questionable medicine! I have been to see a chiropractor on a few occasions and have walked out every time feeling a shit ton better than when I went in as well as an inch taller!

Crulax,

This is what I said earlier in the thread:

There is no scientific basis for chiropractic or osteopathic medicine, both of which claim that most illnesses have their origins in "disorders of the spine and musculoskeletal system" and that manipulation of these organs can cure or ameliorate diseases.

Studies have shown that these modalities are useful to treat chronic pain syndromes, but for not much else.

Osteopathic doctors are becoming more mainstream with many abandoning the basic assumptions of their system and embracing a more scientific view of medicine - good news!

I don't have an issue if chiropractors confine their attention to back pain, where they do do some good. It's when they talk about curing heart disease or cancer by spinal manipulation that crosses over into quackery. See, for example, this:

Chiropractic cancer cure

Doc
[+] 1 user Likes docskeptic's post
15-03-2014, 08:06 PM
(15-03-2014 08:01 PM)docskeptic Wrote:  
(15-03-2014 07:41 PM)Crulax Wrote:  I wouldn't classify chiropractic medicine as weird or questionable medicine! I have been to see a chiropractor on a few occasions and have walked out every time feeling a shit ton better than when I went in as well as an inch taller!

Crulax,

Thus is what I said earlier in the thread:

There is no scientific basis for chiropractic or osteopathic medicine, both of which claim that most illnesses have their origins in "disorders of the spine and musculoskeletal system" and that manipulation of these organs can cure or ameliorate diseases.

Studies have shown that these modalities are useful to treat chronic pain syndromes, but for not much else.

Osteopathic doctors are becoming more mainstream with many abandoning the basic assumptions of their system and embracing a more scientific view of medicine - good news!

I don't have an issue if chiropractors confine their attention to back pain, where they do do some good. It's when they talk about curing heart disease or cancer by spinal manipulation that crosses over into quackery. See, for example, this:

Chiropractic cancer cure

Doc

My wife swears by her chiro, but then she's only there for lower back pain. I went to one once, nearly decapited me trying to crack my neck.

“I am quite sure now that often, very often, in matters concerning religion and politics a man’s reasoning powers are not above the monkey’s.”~Mark Twain
“Ocean: A body of water occupying about two-thirds of a world made for man - who has no gills.”~ Ambrose Bierce