Medical doctor - Patient advocacy

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
10-09-2016, 11:31 AM
Medical doctor - Patient advocacy
So, I went to see my family general practitioner doc yesterday for a follow-up to my yearly checkup. We got to chatting and I told him that I really didn't care much about the quantity of life before me, but cared very much about the quality. And that my worst nightmare was ending up in a hospital, one way or another, and being unable to make decisions for myself.

He said that he would be my advocate. I was surprised and said: "you would?" He said: "It's my job."

Now, I haven't seen that in the job description anywhere. So he means he sees it as part of his job as care giver?

I am still surprised.

[Image: dobie.png]Science is the process we've designed to be responsible for generating our best guess as to what the fuck is going on. Girly Man
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 1 user Likes Dom's post
10-09-2016, 11:36 AM
RE: Medical doctor - Patient advocacy
If I lived closer Dom, I'd do it. Any decent person would, but your doctor is fortunate to know you and your wishes. Get it all on paper sooner than later. I've seen it put off with bad results.
10-09-2016, 01:14 PM
Well, there are many levels of advocacy when someone is hospitalized - I am mostly concerned with the medical side of things - I don't want the hospital to go unchecked re. which meds I am given and what procedures are performed.

The doc is a wonderful choice because, while he knows me and my health well, he isn't particularly emotional about it as relatives and friends may be. He is educated, informed and rational and has firsthand knowledge of me, what else could I want?

Yes, I do need to get papers in order. With instruction as to when they should be produced and enforced.

I am just really surprised that he offered this, I had never heard of docs doing that for their patients.

[Image: dobie.png]Science is the process we've designed to be responsible for generating our best guess as to what the fuck is going on. Girly Man
10-09-2016, 01:18 PM
You are lucky. All my doctor wants to do any more is hand out referrals. Undecided

But that's because the practice is now part of Baylor and they have to spread the 'patient care' around to as many of the affiliated doctors as possible.

See here they are the bruises some were self-inflicted and some showed up along the way. - JF
10-09-2016, 01:34 PM
(10-09-2016 01:18 PM)Anjele Wrote:  You are lucky. All my doctor wants to do any more is hand out referrals. Undecided

But that's because the practice is now part of Baylor and they have to spread the 'patient care' around to as many of the affiliated doctors as possible.

The NHS in the UK had the opposite problem, effectively a "budget" that GPs had to keep to in referrals.

Think it has been scrapped or ignored now.

I am lucky that I have enough spare cash to book a private consultation when things get really nasty but not life threatening. Like a fistula in a very, very unfortunate place! Got me jumped up the surgery list a few weeks.

But, I fully agree on quality against quantity, that is why I gave up one of my cardiac meds - not 100% essential but with terrible side effects - after another private chat with my favourite cardiologist.

But I like the idea of a medical advocate, don't think we have such a scheme in Britland.

Tomorrow is precious, don't ruin it by fouling up today.
10-09-2016, 01:51 PM
(10-09-2016 01:34 PM)Gloucester Wrote:  
(10-09-2016 01:18 PM)Anjele Wrote:  You are lucky. All my doctor wants to do any more is hand out referrals. Undecided

The NHS in the UK had the opposite problem, effectively a "budget" that GPs had to keep to in referrals.

Think it has been scrapped or ignored now.

I am lucky that I have enough spare cash to book a private consultation when things get really nasty but not life threatening. Like a fistula in a very, very unfortunate place! Got me jumped up the surgery list a few weeks.

But, I fully agree on quality against quantity, that is why I gave up one of my cardiac meds - not 100% essential but with terrible side effects - after another private chat with my favourite cardiologist.

But I like the idea of a medical advocate, don't think we have such a scheme in Britland.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Patient_advocacy

Maybe you have similar but call it ombudsmen?

10-09-2016, 01:57 PM

I am insured as retired military and while that used to be the shittiest insurance you could get, it is now pretty damn good. I do have to pay some extra insurance to get complete coverage. I can go anywhere I want to get care.

The doc I chose is in a small family practice (3 docs) in a sleepy little town and he probably has a much closer connection to his patients than the large companies.

I think one's relationship with one's doc is important...

[+] 1 user Likes Dom's post
10-09-2016, 02:00 PM
Thanks for the link, Dom, omsbudpersons tend to work at a farly high level, not for day to day monitoring or advice.

IIRC there was an advocacy scheme but on a voluntary basis like the Hospital Visitor Scheme. You had to be the "right type" and be vetted. Not sure if it is still going.

Tomorrow is precious, don't ruin it by fouling up today.
10-09-2016, 02:04 PM
(10-09-2016 01:57 PM)Dom Wrote:  

I am insured as retired military and while that used to be the shittiest insurance you could get, it is now pretty damn good. I do have to pay some extra insurance to get complete coverage. I can go anywhere I want to get care.

The doc I chose is in a small family practice (3 docs) in a sleepy little town and he probably has a much closer connection to his patients than the large companies.

I think one's relationship with one's doc is important...

I loved my doc. She was there for me when I lost my dad and then was diagnosed. I sang her praises to everyone. Now they won't let me switch to another doctor in the practice. Even when I had a diagnosed case of the flu last year she wouldn't even prescribe an effective cough medicine. I got so sick I went back on a day she wasn't there...when the other doctor saw I had lost 6 pounds in under a week, he gave me something to help.

The last few times I have gone to her she has done nothing to help me get better. I need to find another practice where the doctors give a damn because she has gone corporate and forgotten about patient care.

This most recent bout of illness has lasted just shy of 2 months. Dr. Girly did more for me than she did.

See here they are the bruises some were self-inflicted and some showed up along the way. - JF
[+] 2 users Like Anjele's post
10-09-2016, 02:06 PM
(10-09-2016 02:00 PM)Gloucester Wrote:  Thanks for the link, Dom, omsbudpersons tend to work at a farly high level, not for day to day monitoring or advice.

IIRC there was an advocacy scheme but on a voluntary basis like the Hospital Visitor Scheme. You had to be the "right type" and be vetted. Not sure if it is still going.

Traditionally your relatives are your advocates, and it's mostly like that here, too. Just that often they have no idea about the medical stuff going on , of the way hospitals function and of the law. Mostly relatives just try to cheer you up or cheer you on. And in questions of when to pull the plug and such, you better have it all legally in writing because relatives will keep you alive as a shell forever because it hurts them to let go... not my idea of good management, lol. It's better to have someone knowledgeable...and not held back by religious beliefs. That matters, too.