Medical facepalm

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
11-07-2013, 08:53 PM
Medical facepalm
Some of you know that I deal with a lot of residual pain from my surgeries. When I went to the oncologist last month I told her that the shoulder/arm/hang thing was mostly resolved but I deal with a lot of pain down my sides and directly in the center of my chest. X-ray was clear but she wanted me to go back to the plastic surgeon to see if there was an issue with the implants.

So, I went to see him yesterday...now I like him...a lot. Great guy, great staff.

He said that there is nothing 'structural' going on and that it is probably nerve damage that was caused by the cuts and not the stretching that occurred in my shoulders and that I must have super-sensitive nerves. He gave me some pressure point tips and said to take vitamin E. So, good news, bad new...kind of.

He said I could may try a pain management doctor or ACUPUNCTURE! My eyebrows must have showed how I felt about that since he said the guy was also an MD. Good grief.

Guess I will just deal some more...though I think that three and a half years of this shit is enough. UGH...acupuncture...really...Hobo

I'm not anti-social. I'm pro-solitude. Sleepy
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
11-07-2013, 09:02 PM
RE: Medical facepalm
I've never had acupuncture, but I've heard that it isn't as bad as it seems.

"Life is a daring adventure or it is nothing"--Helen Keller
11-07-2013, 09:06 PM
I don't want needles poked into my breast bone and not too hip about needles around the implants either...UGH! They are only covered by skin and muscle...I don't need any leaks!

11-07-2013, 09:10 PM
Some people respond to acupuncture and others don't (like me).
You may as well have a go. I've tried everything to stop my nerve-damage pain to no avail. Now, I just live with it. It sucks, though. Weed helps but I'm not sure that's your 'thing' lol
There was a time I was considering either 'nerve freezing' or 'nerve cauterizing' but both are not long term as the nerve paths eventually heal themselves and your back to square one! Dodgy

You have my empathy as I know how it feels. Heart

Humankind Dodgy (a total misnomer)
[+] 1 user Likes aurora's post
11-07-2013, 09:17 PM
I have been doing the 'suck it up' thing and no weed is not my thing though sometimes I think I should re-evaluate my stance....

I have tried everything else I can think of. The one thing that works is the one thing they won't give me.

11-07-2013, 09:31 PM
(11-07-2013 08:53 PM)Anjele Wrote:  UGH...acupuncture...really...Hobo

Girly don't think it's woo, but Chas probably does. Tongue Manly is going through physical therapy and they're doing something called "dry needling". I said that sounds like acupuncture except American style where we say fuck that superficial stimulation shit, I'm going straight into the nerve nexus.

As it was in the beginning is now and ever shall be, world without end. Amen.
And I will show you something different from either
Your shadow at morning striding behind you
Or your shadow at evening rising to meet you;
I will show you fear in a handful of dust.
11-07-2013, 09:33 PM
I think before I go for the pincushion look, I will give the trigger point suggestion a go...and I am buying vitamin E tomorrow...then off to south Dallas to score some drugs.

kidding on the last part....I don't go to south Dallas

11-07-2013, 09:45 PM
(11-07-2013 09:33 PM)Anjele Wrote:  ...and I am buying vitamin E tomorrow...

Vitamin E supplements or salve? The supplements won't do dick, ... the salve ... probably won't do dick either.

(11-07-2013 09:33 PM)Anjele Wrote:  kidding on the last part....I don't go to south Dallas

Can you give me someone who does? Big Grin

As it was in the beginning is now and ever shall be, world without end. Amen.
And I will show you something different from either
Your shadow at morning striding behind you
Or your shadow at evening rising to meet you;
I will show you fear in a handful of dust.
12-07-2013, 06:50 AM
(11-07-2013 09:31 PM)GirlyMan Wrote:  
(11-07-2013 08:53 PM)Anjele Wrote:  UGH...acupuncture...really...Hobo

Girly don't think it's woo, but Chas probably does. Tongue Manly is going through physical therapy and they're doing something called "dry needling". I said that sounds like acupuncture except American style where we say fuck that superficial stimulation shit, I'm going straight into the nerve nexus.

Chas knows it's woo. It's been tested and proved.

There is no debate. It's woo.

Skepticism is not a position; it is an approach to claims.
Science is not a subject, but a method.
[Image: flagstiny%206.gif]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 1 user Likes Chas's post
12-07-2013, 07:52 AM
Acupuncture does not necessarily happen in the actual affected area at all.

Strings of nerves travel and can be accessed in various locations, from what I understand.

For instance, I once went to the doc with an infected dog bite on my calf. He looked at it and asked if I had pain in my shoulder. I did, I had not associated the two.

When I had a uterine infection, they asked if I had pain in my sternum. I did. Again, never occurred to me to associate the two.

Acupuncture can access the location of the issue from various other locations. They don't have to get close to your implants.

I don't really now what I think of the practice, haven't researched it, but if I was in constant pain, I would certainly give it a shot. From what little I know, it makes some sense.

[Image: dobie.png]

Science is the process we've designed to be responsible for generating our best guess as to what the fuck is going on. Girly Man