Medical mushrooms?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
23-01-2012, 05:15 PM
Medical mushrooms?
http://www.foxnews.com/scitech/2012/01/2...p=features

Quote:The active ingredient in psychedelic mushrooms decreases brain activity, possibly explaining the vivid, mind-bending effects of the drug, a new study finds.

The decreases were focused in regions that serve as crossroads for information in the brain, meaning that information may flow more freely in a brain on mushrooms. The findings could be useful in developing hallucinogenic treatments for some mental disorders.

"There is increasing evidence that the regions affected are responsible for giving us our sense of self," study author Robin Carhart-Harris, a postdoctoral researcher at Imperial College London, wrote in an email to LiveScience.

"In other words, the regions affected make up what some people call our 'ego.' That activity decreases in the 'ego-network' supports what people often say about psychedelics, that they temporarily 'dissolve the ego.'" [10 Most Destructive Human Behaviors]

Quieting the brain

Psilocybin, the chemical that gives mushrooms their trippy properties, has long-lasting effects beyond the initial high. A recent Johns Hopkins University study found that a single experience with psilocybin in a controlled environment can alter personality long-term, making people more open to new experiences.

"Healthy people given psilocybin often describe their experiences as among the most meaningful of their whole lives, comparable to such things as the birth of their first child or getting married," Carhart-Harris said. "We wanted to know what is going on in people's brains to produce such profound effects."

The researchers asked 15 people who had used mushrooms in the past to lie in a functional magnetic resonance imaging (fRMI) scanner, which measures blood flow in the brain to determine brain activity in different regions.

After a few minutes, the researchers injected either psilocybin or a placebo into the participants' veins. (Each volunteer participated in two scans, so everyone had one experience with the hallucinogen and one with the placebo.) They then continued the scan to find out what changes occurred in brain activity.

A promising treatment?

The scans revealed a surprise: Psilocybin never increased activity in the brain, but only decreased activity in places, especially information transfer areas such as the thalamus, which sits smack in the middle of the brain.

"'Knocking out' these key hubs with psilocybin appears to allow information to travel more freely in the brain, probably explaining why people's imaginations become more vivid and animated and the world is experienced as unusual," Carhart-Harris said.

The researchers used multiple fMRI methods to validate their findings, and controlled for outside factors to be sure, for example, that psilocybin didn't cause breathing changes that, in turn, changed the brain. What actually seems to be happening, Carhart-Harris said, is that psilocybin mimics the effect of the brain chemical serotonin. In the brain, psilocybin sticks to serotonin receptors on brain cells, inhibiting the activity of those neurons. The effect lasts about a half-hour for a moderate dose given as an intravenous shot, Carhart-Harris said.

The researchers plan to further investigate these brain-bending effects as a treatment for depression. The regions quieted down by psilocybin are overactive in depression, Carhart-Harris said, so this mushroom ingredient could be an alternative treatment to lift mood.

But the findings aren't a license for anyone to start self-medicating with mushrooms, Carhart-Harris warned. The participants in this and other psilocybin studies have all been experienced and healthy psilocybin users in a controlled environment; some people can experience terrifying "bad trips" on psychedelics, he said. Without proper psychological care, the effects can be long-lasting and harmful.

"These are preliminary results, and a lot more research is required before claims can be made about the therapeutic value of psychedelics," Carhart-Harris said. "However, the initial signs are promising."

Can't wait to get my script. I know HoC is down with this.

“Whenever you find yourself on the side of the majority, it's time to pause and reflect.”

-Mark Twain
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
23-01-2012, 05:22 PM
RE: Medical mushrooms?
No no no! You should never even consider using this germanyt! Mushrooms are DRUGS, so they are VERY bad!!

Besides, what are you doing on the internet? Isn't it time for your Oxy? Or was it your SSRI?

So many cats, so few good recipes.
[+] 1 user Likes Stark Raving's post
23-01-2012, 06:51 PM
Speaking about hallucinogenics, Stark, I just watched a documentary on DMT the other night. Do you know anything about it? It's supposedly a major mind blower used by Shaman type people. Looks pretty wild, even more so than LSD or Shrooms.
It's produced in the Pineal gland in very small amounts.

Here's a short version about it. Joe Rogan is a big proponent:

It was just a fucking apple man, we're sorry okay? Please stop the madness Laugh out load
~Izel
23-01-2012, 08:12 PM
(23-01-2012 06:51 PM)Erxomai Wrote:  Speaking about hallucinogenics, Stark, I just watched a documentary on DMT the other night. Do you know anything about it? It's supposedly a major mind blower used by Shaman type people. Looks pretty wild, even more so than LSD or Shrooms.
It's produced in the Pineal gland in very small amounts.

Too short acting to be of any real psychological value. It's more like a "What the fuck just happened?" kinda experience. In South America they combine it with an MAOI to prolong the duration. Might be of some psychological value then.

Wait, I ain't Stark. ... Disregard.

As it was in the beginning is now and ever shall be, world without end. Amen.
And I will show you something different from either
Your shadow at morning striding behind you
Or your shadow at evening rising to meet you;
I will show you fear in a handful of dust.
[+] 2 users Like GirlyMan's post
23-01-2012, 08:19 PM
(23-01-2012 08:12 PM)GirlyMan Wrote:  Too short acting to be of any real psychological value. It's more like a "What the fuck just happened?" kinda experience. In South America they combine it with an MAOI to prolong the duration. Might be of some psychological value then.

Wait, I ain't Stark. ... Disregard.

Have you tried it, Girly, or just sharing your thoughts? The doctor who was testing patients in the DMT documentary did say that it was too short of a duration to be a recreational drug, but that the experience itself seemed more vivid and having more psychological value than other psychedelics like Mushrooms, which would have a more recreational aspect, from my understanding.

It was just a fucking apple man, we're sorry okay? Please stop the madness Laugh out load
~Izel
23-01-2012, 08:29 PM
Don't know much about DMT.....shit......

sorry, had to take a minute..

I have so much enjoyment from weed, that I stopped trying other stuff. So I'll probably never try it.

Goddam though......this is really goooo shit.....flbrblglanabub.......

So many cats, so few good recipes.
[+] 1 user Likes Stark Raving's post
23-01-2012, 09:57 PM
(23-01-2012 08:19 PM)Erxomai Wrote:  Have you tried it, Girly, or just sharing your thoughts?

Why you ask, Hellbound Preacher? You question my analytical skills at interpreting pharmacokinetics and pharmacodynamics towards an expected outcome? Wink ... Reads like a series of flashbangs to me. Everything fires at once and you go "What the fuck was that?" over and over for 15-20 minutes. Series of micro-seizures might explain it.

(23-01-2012 08:19 PM)Erxomai Wrote:  The doctor who was testing patients in the DMT documentary did say that it was too short of a duration to be a recreational drug, ...

Yeah, think that's kind of a distinguishing characteristic for the most profitable recreational drugs. Doc don't understand recreational use.

As it was in the beginning is now and ever shall be, world without end. Amen.
And I will show you something different from either
Your shadow at morning striding behind you
Or your shadow at evening rising to meet you;
I will show you fear in a handful of dust.
23-01-2012, 11:48 PM
(23-01-2012 09:57 PM)GirlyMan Wrote:  
(23-01-2012 08:19 PM)Erxomai Wrote:  Have you tried it, Girly, or just sharing your thoughts?

Why you ask, Hellbound Preacher? You question my analytical skills at interpreting pharmacokinetics and pharmacodynamics towards an expected outcome? Wink ... Reads like a series of flashbangs to me. Everything fires at once and you go "What the fuck was that?" over and over for 15-20 minutes. Series of micro-seizures might explain it.

(23-01-2012 08:19 PM)Erxomai Wrote:  The doctor who was testing patients in the DMT documentary did say that it was too short of a duration to be a recreational drug, ...

Yeah, think that's kind of a distinguishing characteristic for the most profitable recreational drugs. Doc don't understand recreational use.

Naw, that wasn't any kind of challenge. Guess I could have stopped at: Have you ever tried it, Girly, cuz I'm curious.

~Izel
24-01-2012, 03:45 AM
Did you really think that something like this is gonna pass without me commenting on it? Smile

Yes, shrooms can help in some cases, that is old news, I'm glad somebody is doing experiments...

As for the DMT, it has short period of "high", but... There is always some "but"...

Quote:In South America there are a number of indigenous traditions and more recent religious movements based on the use of ayahuasca, usually in an animistic context that may be mixed with Christian imagery. There are three main groups using DMT-MAOI based sacraments in South America:
The Amazon Basin's indigenous population. There are many indigenous cultures in South America, mostly in the Upper Amazon Basin whose traditional religious practices include the use of ayahuasca. These are the oldest cultures in the whole of South America that continue to use ayahuasca or analogue brews, such as the ones made from Jurema in the Pernambuco, near Recife or Iquitos in Peru.
Santo Daime ("Saint Give Unto Me") and Barquinha ("Little Boat"). A syncretic religion from Brazil. The former was founded by Raimundo Irineu Serra in the early 1930s, as an esoteric Christian religion with shamanic tendencies. The Barquinha was derived from this one. The Santo Daime also includes children in their Entheogenic rituals; studies done by the Brazilian government concluded that there were no physical or mental damage caused by this practice, so it is allowed.
União do Vegetal ("Union of the Plants" or UDV). Another Christian ayahuasca religion from Brazil, a single unified organization with a democratic structure.

What i know about ayahuasca is that it is the most powerful hallucinogen and drug. One good dose is enough to cure a person from any addiction he/she had before. Ayahuasca has been used in some centers for curing addicts of their heroin, cocaine, but even cigarette addiction. It appears that the "trip" is so extreme and strong that you do not want to take anything else ever again. It also "resets" you in the right way, so you do not feel the need for that substance that was the main and only part of your life.

Interesting thing, indeed. It seems that any good drug has some good health applications.

Smile

[Image: a6505fe8.jpg]
I have a theory that the truth is never told during the nine-to-five hours.
-Hunter S. Thompson
[+] 1 user Likes Filox's post
24-01-2012, 12:31 PM
I did them back in the 70's !! Just be VERY careful on the mushrooms because some will kill you. If you don't know them real well and the clones that look the same you will poison yourself. For each plant or mushroom their is a clone or one that looks like it. They do something different. I don't think this is a good idea for you. I wont judge you on this. Just don't make it a habit or get caught up with the high. Addiction is a tuff monkey and life is to short to loose it. I am speaking from experience on addiction. No one starts out thinking they will be a junkie. Once you get seduces into it, the cycle is very hard to break. All my best to you.