Medieval kid doodles

Thread Rating:
  • 1 Votes - 5 Average
08-12-2013, 09:18 AM
Medieval kid doodles
This is really neat. It's a child's "I'm bored in class" doodles from the 13th-century.

http://erikkwakkel.tumblr.com/post/67681...bark-heres

Here are more examples of the child's drawings:

http://www.goldschp.net/SIG/onfim/onfim.html
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 8 users Like ghostexorcist's post
08-12-2013, 09:29 AM
RE: Medieval kid doodles
Cute! I was a doodler too in school Smile now, I save some of my students' drawings. I wonder if they'll ever be found and studied in the future. A recent picture I got showed a bloody stickman battle, with the blood in red ink. I kept it because the lines actually complement each other really well, the kid's got an eye for design.
Find all posts by this user
[+] 1 user Likes Colourcraze's post
08-12-2013, 09:30 AM
(08-12-2013 09:18 AM)ghostexorcist Wrote:  This is really neat. It's a child's "I'm bored in class" doodles from the 13th-century.

http://erikkwakkel.tumblr.com/post/67681...bark-heres

Here are more examples of the child's drawings:

http://www.goldschp.net/SIG/onfim/onfim.html

Not sure why, but I found the eyebrows interesting. Many children don't draw eyebrows but they really help to convey expression, especially when they don't match.

"Life is a daring adventure or it is nothing"--Helen Keller
[+] 1 user Likes Bows and Arrows's post
08-12-2013, 09:54 AM
OK, GE, as you're the evo-expert...

Is this conclusive proof that we have evolved to have fewer fingers over the last 800 years?

Smile

[+] 4 users Like DLJ's post
08-12-2013, 09:59 AM
(08-12-2013 09:54 AM)DLJ Wrote:  OK, GE, as you're the evo-expert...

Is this conclusive proof that we have evolved to have fewer fingers over the last 800 years?

Smile

That is a solid conclusion based on the evidence. According to the bible, people were also much, much taller in the past than what they are today. This means that we grew shorter as we lost digits. So I would like to make a prediction. In comparison to what we look like now, we will most likely be elfin-sized with only 3 fingers in the future.
[+] 3 users Like ghostexorcist's post
08-12-2013, 11:16 AM
I've always had trouble imagining what people back then were like, so this is actually really fascinating. Smile
[+] 2 users Like Vosur's post
08-12-2013, 11:24 AM (This post was last modified: 08-12-2013 11:33 AM by DLJ.)
(08-12-2013 09:59 AM)ghostexorcist Wrote:  [quote='DLJ' pid='437751' dateline='1386518090']
people were also much, much taller in the past than what they are today

But, that's not what my teacher said @6:20

[+] 1 user Likes DLJ's post
08-12-2013, 01:25 PM
What I like about the doodles is that they are a record of someone who wasn't a master artist or king. What seems to be lacking in the study of history is the experience of the average person. We have the life stories of Italian painters, Chinese emperors, dukes of France, viking chiefs who led great campaigns in Britain, but so little about average folk. They didn't leave great legacies and had no one to write about them, so we don't often get to see what the time was like for them. It might sound boring, but I'd love to know what life was like for a peasant in ancient Germania.

(08-12-2013 09:29 AM)Colourcraze Wrote:  A recent picture I got showed a bloody stickman battle, with the blood in red ink. I kept it because the lines actually complement each other really well, the kid's got an eye for design.

I used to do that. I never had talent for drawing, but I'd doodle entire battle scenes with hundreds of stick people, employing tactics I learned about from Total War games and the internet.

If something can be destroyed by the truth, it might be worth destroying.

[Image: ZcC2kGl.png]
[+] 3 users Like Elesjei's post
08-12-2013, 01:47 PM
(08-12-2013 01:25 PM)Elesjei Wrote:  What I like about the doodles is that they are a record of someone who wasn't a master artist or king. What seems to be lacking in the study of history is the experience of the average person. We have the life stories of Italian painters, Chinese emperors, dukes of France, viking chiefs who led great campaigns in Britain, but so little about average folk. They didn't leave great legacies and had no one to write about them, so we don't often get to see what the time was like for them. It might sound boring, but I'd love to know what life was like for a peasant in ancient Germania.

I agree; that is why I find this so interesting. It makes the faceless past easier to associate with.
[+] 2 users Like ghostexorcist's post
08-12-2013, 02:05 PM
(08-12-2013 09:30 AM)Bows and Arrows Wrote:  Not sure why, but I found the eyebrows interesting. Many children don't draw eyebrows but they really help to convey expression, especially when they don't match.

I'm not sure why, but my kids always added eyebrows. Weird huh?

The sun rises in the West and the bird shits on the coffeetable.