Meet my dog.

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
17-11-2014, 07:26 AM
Meet my dog.
I want you to meet my dog, Lady.

[Image: FbQ26yA.jpg]
You'll have to forgive the picture-in-picture, it's all I have.

She's a wonderful canine; loyal and proud, no boundary exists to match her brilliant curiosity; she is not a genius among dogs but has a light of intelligence in her eyes, she is caring and endlessly loving; she doesn't care who a person is so long as they are nice and pet her. She is the very definition of a tongue with a dog attached; she'd rather spend an hour affectionately licking those she loves than to play with any number of toys.

And she doesn't have long now.

I have been expecting this for a while now; slowly picking up on the ever-gathering clues, but never truly taking it in; today I have. Finally after so long of emotionally avoiding the fact. She is old, 15 or 16 years in fact and her condition is deteriorating and its horrible to watch. I noticed it when I fed her tonight; a large marble-sized, fur-less lump right behind her ear; it must have grown three times itself since I last noticed it, and I noticed the rest of her properly; the huge, long lump on her right flank, her bloodshot, tired looking eyes, tail barely up from her legs and her rear has no fur. When I went out, it took some coaxing to get her to stand from her laying spot to get her food. She now does her business on the cemented pergola area and carport where she sleeps instead of the lawn, it's like she can't make the walk down the three steps any more.

I spoke with my mother about noticing her ear-lump. Mum doesn't think Lady will last the summer and begrudgingly I am forced to agree; I can't see her going on for much longer. I brought up the possibility of going to the vet, but what can they do? Remove the two tumours, one which feels the size of a small organ, drain her sagged ear of the blood, then what? Even if she survived the surgeries she'd probably be looking at maybe an extra half a year during which she'd just be forced to hang around slowly degrading further until she finally stopped or we intervened again on her behalf.

Lady has been my sole and constant companion through countless moments of heartbreak, anger, confusion and joy. This is one moment of sadness I will have to carry on my own.

I'm sorry; I know it's a little early, old girl isn't quite on her deathbed yet, but I've seen this play before and I know how it ends. I can handle death, but watching the slow process it is is something even I will admit I can't handle. Watching the reaper slowly take hold is something I hope I never get used to.

Sorry, I really just needed to vent; get everything out now.

The people closely associated with the namesake of female canines are suffering from a nondescript form of lunacy.
"Anti-environmentalism is like standing in front of a forest and going 'quick kill them they're coming right for us!'" - Jake Farr-Wharton, The Imaginary Friend Show.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
17-11-2014, 07:38 AM
RE: Meet my dog.
(17-11-2014 07:26 AM)Free Thought Wrote:  I'm sorry; I know it's a little early, old girl isn't quite on her deathbed yet, but I've seen this play before and I know how it ends. I can handle death, but watching the slow process it is is something even I will admit I can't handle. Watching the reaper slowly take hold is something I hope I never get used to.

Sorry man Hug

OK so now... IMO you should seriously consider euthanasia if she's in pain. All animals die. That's how it is. She's had a good life and someone who loved her.

We'll love you just the way you are
If you're perfect -- Alanis Morissette
(06-02-2014 03:47 PM)Momsurroundedbyboys Wrote:  And I'm giving myself a conclusion again from all the facepalming.
[+] 3 users Like morondog's post
17-11-2014, 07:49 AM (This post was last modified: 17-11-2014 07:53 AM by Free Thought.)
(17-11-2014 07:38 AM)morondog Wrote:  
(17-11-2014 07:26 AM)Free Thought Wrote:  I'm sorry; I know it's a little early, old girl isn't quite on her deathbed yet, but I've seen this play before and I know how it ends. I can handle death, but watching the slow process it is is something even I will admit I can't handle. Watching the reaper slowly take hold is something I hope I never get used to.

Sorry man Hug

OK so now... IMO you should seriously consider euthanasia if she's in pain. All animals die. That's how it is. She's had a good life and someone who loved her.

Thanks.

Fortunately, she doesn't seem to be in much pain so far as I can tell, at least not yet.

I know it's probably going to sound horrible and selfish and irrational, but.. I can't see myself being to one to get her euthanized... I would rather that be the way she goes, instead of slowly and in pain, but I just... That's just not something I can do.

The people closely associated with the namesake of female canines are suffering from a nondescript form of lunacy.
"Anti-environmentalism is like standing in front of a forest and going 'quick kill them they're coming right for us!'" - Jake Farr-Wharton, The Imaginary Friend Show.
17-11-2014, 07:57 AM
(17-11-2014 07:49 AM)Free Thought Wrote:  I know it's probably going to sound horrible and selfish and irrational, but.. I can't see myself being to one to get her euthanized... I would rather that be the way she goes, instead of slowly and in pain, but I just... That's just a thing I can't do.

It's not horrible, it's just... human. But part of being human is also making these very tough calls... If she's not in pain and in your judgment the time is not now then it's fine, but keep it in mind for when it *does* come to time. Vet can advise you as to options - they're very professional. I don't know if I read correctly, but no, you would not need to do it yourself.

We'll love you just the way you are
If you're perfect -- Alanis Morissette
(06-02-2014 03:47 PM)Momsurroundedbyboys Wrote:  And I'm giving myself a conclusion again from all the facepalming.
[+] 2 users Like morondog's post
17-11-2014, 08:02 AM
Hug I'm sorry. I know it's heartbreaking. I wish there was more I could do. Enjoy the time left.

Atheism is the only way to truly be free from sin.
17-11-2014, 08:04 AM
Hug We said goodbye to our labrador, Nilla Woofer, last year, just days after Christmas. I dont think I will ever stop missing or loving that dog.

I will tell you, that after saying goodbye to a beloved cat at the vets office and saying goodbye to our dog at home (the vet came to the house). At home it was much better.

When in those final hours, movement to carry the dog to the vet would have completely stressed the dog out, then you feel rushed, and no one can get physically comfortable in a clinical setting to cuddle up for those last goodbyes.

get those phone numbers now, because when the moment comes, you will be too stressed to make phone calls because you want to be by her side.

many, many hugs to you. Spend as much time as you can now, taking photos and cuddling.

"Life is a daring adventure or it is nothing"--Helen Keller
[+] 1 user Likes Bows and Arrows's post
17-11-2014, 08:13 AM
(17-11-2014 07:49 AM)Free Thought Wrote:  I know it's probably going to sound horrible and selfish and irrational, but.. I can't see myself being to one to get her euthanized... I would rather that be the way she goes, instead of slowly and in pain, but I just... That's just not something I can do.

I've had to do it a few times. It is a horrible experience and I remember every scene in excruciating detail but in the end I'm glad I was there to help them feel comforted by having somebody they knew and trusted holding them.

Atheism: it's not just for communists any more!
America July 4 1776 - November 8 2016 RIP
[+] 1 user Likes unfogged's post
17-11-2014, 08:20 AM
FT, she'll let you know when its time. Pay close attention to when she stops wanting to eat, that's the moment. In the meantime give her everything she wants, hot dogs, ham, bacon or whatever her favorite foods are and don't pass up a single opportunity to love up on her.

I know how hard this is.

“I am quite sure now that often, very often, in matters concerning religion and politics a man’s reasoning powers are not above the monkey’s.”~Mark Twain
“Ocean: A body of water occupying about two-thirds of a world made for man - who has no gills.”~ Ambrose Bierce
[+] 3 users Like Full Circle's post
17-11-2014, 08:31 AM
There will come a time when Lady will let you know that she is in pain. You will know in your Heart of Hearts that you will need to let her go easy. And you will find the strength because you love her and erasing her pain will become more important then avoiding your own pain.

Until then, make a little extra time to spend with her. Take lots of pictures - there are never enough pictures. Different vets have different routines - ask now so you can choose what is most comfortable for Lady and for you. It will happen at some point - best prepare the details now. This is the part of life with animals that sucks.

And stop making little old ladies cry over the internet!

We have enough youth. How about looking for the Fountain of Smart?
[+] 4 users Like Thinkerbelle's post
17-11-2014, 08:45 AM
I'm sorry you have to go through this.

When it's time to let her go, please do. You'll know when it's time.

She's adorable!

" Generally speaking, the errors in religion are dangerous; those in philosophy only ridiculous."
David Hume