Meet the slippery slope, US court system

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
13-04-2016, 02:31 PM
Meet the slippery slope, US court system
The religious requests of a pastafarian were denied on the basis that worship of the FSM is not a religion as it is satire. (LINK)

The judges are correct IMO the FSM is not a real diety and is used to promote other more earth bound rational causes. However, where is the line drawn? This opens up to interpretation as to what is real religion and what isn't?

So if pastafarians can be denied religious protections why not deny other mainstream religions for just being made up shit?

Facts do not cease to exist because they are ignored- Aldous Huxley
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 5 users Like devilsadvoc8's post
13-04-2016, 02:49 PM
RE: Meet the slippery slope, US court system
If FSM is satire then what one can say about christianity and all nonsense tied to it? But I guess any idiocy can be considered sacred after centuries.

The first revolt is against the supreme tyranny of theology, of the phantom of God. As long as we have a master in heaven, we will be slaves on earth.

Mikhail Bakunin.
[+] 1 user Likes Szuchow's post
13-04-2016, 02:53 PM
(13-04-2016 02:31 PM)devilsadvoc8 Wrote:  The religious requests of a pastafarian were denied on the basis that worship of the FSM is not a religion as it is satire. (LINK)

The judges are correct IMO the FSM is not a real diety and is used to promote other more earth bound rational causes. However, where is the line drawn? This opens up to interpretation as to what is real religion and what isn't?

So if pastafarians can be denied religious protections why not deny other mainstream religions for just being made up shit?

The line is drawn where they feel like. If your religion grows large enough it is considered a religion. If it just starts to grow large and is disagreed with for reasons, including but not limited to child marriage, keeping all of your followers on a "compound", and arming yourselves with a large amount of weapons, you are called a cult. If your religion is large enough, people will look the other way on things like child marriage and female genital mutilation "Islam". The pastafarians have not been around long enough and are a relatively small group compared to the others. Christianity being a larger one, can get away with a lot. They are all cults though, it is just that nobody tends to notice. Oh yeah, and of course the FSM is a parody of the other gods that are believed in. Nobody is going to deny that. Then again, we can demonstrate that spaghetti does in fact exist.
[+] 1 user Likes Birdguy1979's post
13-04-2016, 04:04 PM
They're imbeciles. Letting the state decide what does and does not qualify as a "valid" religion is wrong for so very many reasons. If the prison officials had had any wits they'd simply have granted his requests. If the judge had had any wits he'd have allowed the suit to go forward. If this guy wants to go forward with this it could be a very high publicity 1st Ammendment challenge that would be egg on a lot of people's faces.

On the up side, I'm throwing this ruling in the face of the next moron that tells me that atheism is a religion.

---
Flesh and blood of a dead star, slain in the apocalypse of supernova, resurrected by four billion years of continuous autocatalytic reaction and crowned with the emergent property of sentience in the dream that the universe might one day understand itself.
[+] 7 users Like Paleophyte's post
13-04-2016, 04:48 PM
(13-04-2016 02:31 PM)devilsadvoc8 Wrote:  The religious requests of a pastafarian were denied on the basis that worship of the FSM is not a religion as it is satire. (LINK)

I understand that the FSM is a parody and all that but why can't it be a real religion? If someone says they have faith that the FSM created the universe, all life and is thus worthy of worship doesn't that qualify as a religious belief? I guess not but I'd like to know if Asatru would be considered a religion in prison and if those beliefs would be honored, they can't say it's not a real religion since it predates Christianity and there are modern people who still worship the Norse Gods so why not? I'd like to see that come up in a court also considering that some news stories have come out about white supremacists being arrested and claiming allegiance to Asatru I'd think it would be considered real, even though it's just as silly as believing in FSM.

[Image: sagansig_zps6vhbql6m.jpg]
[+] 1 user Likes SitaSky's post
13-04-2016, 05:01 PM
(13-04-2016 04:48 PM)SitaSky Wrote:  I understand that the FSM is a parody and all that but why can't it be a real religion?

Pastafarians have not yet:
...persecuted any non-believers
...tortured innocents
...conducted any crusades or inquisitions
...subjugated native peoples
...conned/extorted money from the vulnerable
...forced nonbelievers to convert

Buncha slackers. How are they supposed to be taken seriously?

Big Grin

Help for the living. Hope for the dead. ~ R.G. Ingersoll

Freedom offers opportunity. Opportunity confers responsibility. Responsibility to use the freedom we enjoy wisely, honestly and humanely. ~ Noam Chomsky
[+] 8 users Like Fatbaldhobbit's post
13-04-2016, 05:08 PM
I consider jesusism to be a farce.

Atheism is NOT a Religion. It's A Personal Relationship With Reality!
[+] 1 user Likes Minimalist's post
13-04-2016, 07:44 PM
I guess Pastafarians needs to start killing people in order to be taken seriously as a religion. Facepalm

EDIT: Just saw Fatbaldhobbit's post.
[+] 3 users Like pablo's post
13-04-2016, 07:48 PM
(13-04-2016 05:01 PM)Fatbaldhobbit Wrote:  
(13-04-2016 04:48 PM)SitaSky Wrote:  I understand that the FSM is a parody and all that but why can't it be a real religion?

Pastafarians have not yet:
...persecuted any non-believers
...tortured innocents
...conducted any crusades or inquisitions
...subjugated native peoples
...conned/extorted money from the vulnerable
...forced nonbelievers to convert

Buncha slackers. How are they supposed to be taken seriously?

Big Grin

Maybe it's the real religion of peace? Consider

Skepticism is not a position; it is an approach to claims.
Science is not a subject, but a method.
[Image: flagstiny%206.gif]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 2 users Like Chas's post
13-04-2016, 07:59 PM
(13-04-2016 04:48 PM)SitaSky Wrote:  

I understand that the FSM is a parody and all that but why can't it be a real religion? If someone says they have faith that the FSM created the universe, all life and is thus worthy of worship doesn't that qualify as a religious belief? I guess not but I'd like to know if Asatru would be considered a religion in prison and if those beliefs would be honored, they can't say it's not a real religion since it predates Christianity and there are modern people who still worship the Norse Gods so why not? I'd like to see that come up in a court also considering that some news stories have come out about white supremacists being arrested and claiming allegiance to Asatru I'd think it would be considered real, even though it's just as silly as believing in FSM.

Asatru IS considered a religion and the white supremacists in prison are even allowed to wear the jewelry to establish rank and belief. Claims of innocent pagan belief are to be expected...

https://www.splcenter.org/fighting-hate/...ist-pagans