(13-04-2016 07:48 PM)Chas Wrote:  
(13-04-2016 05:01 PM)Fatbaldhobbit Wrote:  Pastafarians have not yet:
...persecuted any non-believers
...tortured innocents
...conducted any crusades or inquisitions
...subjugated native peoples
...conned/extorted money from the vulnerable
...forced nonbelievers to convert

Buncha slackers. How are they supposed to be taken seriously?

Big Grin

Maybe it's the real religion of peace? Consider

Well, I DO sometimes fall asleep after having enough pasta. Hard to stir up trouble, then. Big Grin
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 1 user Likes Fireball's post
13-04-2016, 08:51 PM
RE: Meet the slippery slope, US court system
They need some suicide bombers. Maybe then they can be a real religion. Facepalm

Insufferable know-it-all.Einstein God has a plan for us. Please stop screwing it up with your prayers.
13-04-2016, 09:27 PM
Obligatory meme picture is obligatory.

[Image: main-qimg-0a679d29c1a7e1ba1eeded15533fde..._webp=true]

[Image: E3WvRwZ.gif]
[+] 4 users Like EvolutionKills's post
14-04-2016, 01:22 AM
(13-04-2016 07:48 PM)Chas Wrote:  Maybe it's the real religion of peace? Consider

Religion of peace without cutting the heads of infidels? What a strange concept.

The first revolt is against the supreme tyranny of theology, of the phantom of God. As long as we have a master in heaven, we will be slaves on earth.

Mikhail Bakunin.
14-04-2016, 05:47 AM
(13-04-2016 05:08 PM)Minimalist Wrote:  I consider jesusism to be a farce.

They are all a farce. There are none that are actually real. Christianity is useful to control the religitards. I doubt any of the people high in government actually believe. It is so useful to pretend. If you are clergy, it gives you free access to children. If you are a political figure, it gets votes. I can go on and on. Only one out there that I can actually think believes it is Sarah Palin. She is so slow and dimwitted that I could imagine she actually believes.
14-04-2016, 06:40 AM (This post was last modified: 14-04-2016 06:45 AM by RobbyPants.)
(13-04-2016 02:31 PM)devilsadvoc8 Wrote:  The religious requests of a pastafarian were denied on the basis that worship of the FSM is not a religion as it is satire. (LINK)

So if pastafarians can be denied religious protections why not deny other mainstream religions for just being made up shit?

If the benchmark they're using for this is "satire", could we invoke Poe's law and have the religious rights of fundies stripped away, since no outsider can tell the difference?

This seems like a really dangerous road to go down. Even if it demonstrably starts as satire, what if someone "genuinely" believes it? Anyone who believes in religion X believes that religions Y and Z are founded on things that are not true, but they are still given religious freedoms on the ground that the beliefs are "sacred" to the followers. How does one prove "genuine" belief? State-issued faith tests seem fucked up beyond belief.

If one argues that Pastafarianism doesn't count because it can be proven wrong (that it is based on Satire), than any religion that has beliefs not founded in reality are fair game. If they allow wiggle room for those other religions because claims that the world was created in six days are allegorical, then Pastafarianism would be protected too. They can't accept and reject nonfalsifiable evidence whenever it is convenient to them.

(13-04-2016 02:49 PM)Szuchow Wrote:  If FSM is satire then what one can say about christianity and all nonsense tied to it? But I guess any idiocy can be considered sacred after centuries.

This is pretty much what happened with the Mormons. The only thing different about them from other Christians is about 1,850 years of people believing it.
[+] 1 user Likes RobbyPants's post
14-04-2016, 07:42 AM
(14-04-2016 05:47 AM)Birdguy1979 Wrote:  
(13-04-2016 05:08 PM)Minimalist Wrote:  I consider jesusism to be a farce.

They are all a farce. There are none that are actually real. Christianity is useful to control the religitards. I doubt any of the people high in government actually believe. It is so useful to pretend. If you are clergy, it gives you free access to children. If you are a political figure, it gets votes. I can go on and on. Only one out there that I can actually think believes it is Sarah Palin. She is so slow and dimwitted that I could imagine she actually believes.

I think Cruz is a bona fide true believer. If he were born in another time, he'd be at the head of a mob burning heretics.

Facts do not cease to exist because they are ignored- Aldous Huxley
[+] 1 user Likes devilsadvoc8's post
14-04-2016, 08:41 AM
Next up, Scientology, then Mormonism... Then who knows?!
14-04-2016, 09:27 AM
Scientology and Mormonism have been around a while. Scientology was growing rapidly when I was a kid. Mormonism has been around even longer. I don't understand how people can see that Mormonism is a cult created by a convicted con artist, yet still believe in it. They also fail to see that if a convicted con can create a religion (Cult), that someone way back could have created Christianity and islam as well as the great many out there. The only difference is that Mormonism was started in recent history. It is recent enough that we know who did it.
14-04-2016, 11:58 AM
(14-04-2016 09:27 AM)Birdguy1979 Wrote:  I don't understand how people can see that Mormonism is a cult created by a convicted con artist, yet still believe in it. They also fail to see that if a convicted con can create a religion (Cult), that someone way back could have created Christianity and islam as well as the great many out there. The only difference is that Mormonism was started in recent history. It is recent enough that we know who did it.

The founders have a sort of mythology surrounding themselves, too. Your average Mormon doesn't consider Joseph Smith to be a convicted con artist. Just like the Christians that came before them, they too can claim persecution.

That's part of why I find The Jesus Christ Church of Latter Day Saints to be so funny. While many Christians see it as a flat-out cult, or at least misguided beliefs, so much of how Mormonism came from where it was to where it is parallels Christianity. The fact that the LDS church has millions of followers world wide shows that maybe, just maybe, the early Christian church did the same thing. I think most introspective Christians would find this similarity troubling.