Meet the slippery slope, US court system

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
14-04-2016, 12:47 PM
RE: Meet the slippery slope, US court system
(14-04-2016 11:58 AM)RobbyPants Wrote:  
(14-04-2016 09:27 AM)Birdguy1979 Wrote:  I don't understand how people can see that Mormonism is a cult created by a convicted con artist, yet still believe in it. They also fail to see that if a convicted con can create a religion (Cult), that someone way back could have created Christianity and islam as well as the great many out there. The only difference is that Mormonism was started in recent history. It is recent enough that we know who did it.

The founders have a sort of mythology surrounding themselves, too. Your average Mormon doesn't consider Joseph Smith to be a convicted con artist. Just like the Christians that came before them, they too can claim persecution.

That's part of why I find The Jesus Christ Church of Latter Day Saints to be so funny. While many Christians see it as a flat-out cult, or at least misguided beliefs, so much of how Mormonism came from where it was to where it is parallels Christianity. The fact that the LDS church has millions of followers world wide shows that maybe, just maybe, the early Christian church did the same thing. I think most introspective Christians would find this similarity troubling.

They would if they hadn't been trained from an early age not to do their own thinking.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
14-04-2016, 06:00 PM
(14-04-2016 09:27 AM)Birdguy1979 Wrote:  Scientology and Mormonism have been around a while.

It takes a real fucking asshole to profess belief in either.

Atheism is NOT a Religion. It's A Personal Relationship With Reality!
[+] 1 user Likes Minimalist's post
15-04-2016, 05:47 AM
(14-04-2016 06:00 PM)Minimalist Wrote:  
(14-04-2016 09:27 AM)Birdguy1979 Wrote:  Scientology and Mormonism have been around a while.

It takes a real fucking asshole to profess belief in either.

I agree completely, yet many do. My point is that one of the arguments for Christianity is that the followers can't imagine how a single person or even a large group of people could start a religion if it wasn't true. Yet we can see exactly how it was done in scientology and Mormonism. We know who did both and it did not take a huge group in the case of the Mormons. I know who did both of those so called religions and I believe it would have been even easier to do in the past when most people could not read or write and relied on the ones that could to tell them what was in the holy book of their choice. It would have been easier, not harder to fool people. I was also pointing out that to be taken seriously as a religion, you must be large enough for the government to be afraid of you and be around for at least a few generations.
15-04-2016, 07:12 AM
First, they came for the noodles....

Don't let those gnomes and their illusions get you down. They're just gnomes and illusions.

--Jake the Dog, Adventure Time

Alouette, je te plumerai.
[+] 2 users Like Old Man Marsh's post
15-04-2016, 08:12 AM
I think that the Bible is a satire, but lots of people still get accommodations for that....

Dodgy

Don't let those gnomes and their illusions get you down. They're just gnomes and illusions.

--Jake the Dog, Adventure Time

Alouette, je te plumerai.
15-04-2016, 08:51 AM
In Australia, at the 2011 Census, there were 65,486 Jedi recorded, up from about 58,000 in 2006. This makes up roughly half of the "Not defined" category. If Jedi were a valid response, it would be the 18th largest religion response in Australia, just behind Sikhism and ahead of Seventh Day Adventists and Atheists.

The Jedi figure compares with only 2,163 Scientologists (accepted as a formal religion in Australia), but the Australian Bureau of Statistics (ABS) who conduct the census is still refusing to list Jedi as a religion on the census count.

The following question is from our forthcoming 2016 Census Household Form:

[Image: 0.9E0!OpenElement&FieldElemFormat=gif]

During the 2016 Census topic review process, many submissions recommended changes to the Religious affiliation question due to perceived bias in the question format and consequent potential underestimates of the number of people who stated they had no religion. After user consultation and testing, the ABS has decided to move the No religion response category to be the first response category in the question, so it will be more consistent with other questions and the order of their response categories. This approach is consistent with that of a number of other countries.

I'm a creationist... I believe that man created God.