Meeting Dawkins

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
02-09-2015, 12:24 PM
Meeting Dawkins
A former colleague of mine is the CEO of the Dawkins Foundation here in the States. Richard is on a book tour for his autobiography and is coming to my town. When I went to the site to see how much tickets were I found out the event was sold out. So I emailed my colleague and asked if there were any general-admission seats held in reserve that I could purchase. There were none, but she instead said she could get me and my wife into the VIP pre-event gathering, which costs $250 per ticket and includes a meet and greet with him, refreshments and autographed copies of his book, plus we can attend the discussion he will have later with Herb Silverman.

It's nice to have friends in high places.

Check out my now-defunct atheism blog. It's just a blog, no ads, no revenue, no gods.
----
Atheism promotes critical thinking; theism promotes hypocritical thinking. -- Me
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 13 users Like WillHopp's post
02-09-2015, 12:27 PM
RE: Meeting Dawkins
Score!

[Image: gorillasharkhighfive.png]

[Image: ZF1ZJ4M.jpg]
[+] 5 users Like houseofcantor's post
02-09-2015, 12:29 PM
I got a chance last year to see him give do a Q&A at UConn and then he did a book signing (got my copy of the God Delusion signed and bought his autobiography). It was pretty neat to get to hear him in person but the poor guy was clearly exhausted as he gave out autographs.

Being nice is something stupid people do to hedge their bets
-Rick
Find all posts by this user
[+] 1 user Likes TheBeardedDude's post
02-09-2015, 12:34 PM
(02-09-2015 12:29 PM)TheBeardedDude Wrote:  It was pretty neat to get to hear him in person but the poor guy was clearly exhausted as he gave out autographs.

Fame sux. I don't know how peeps deal. Undecided

[Image: ZF1ZJ4M.jpg]
[+] 3 users Like houseofcantor's post
02-09-2015, 12:40 PM
I really wasn't looking for special treatment, but I also couldn't afford to drop $500 for this either, so I made a donation to the foundation to cover what two GA tickets would have cost, plus the cost of the book. I'm assuming these books will have been pre-autographed, but if not, I'm wondering if he will personalize it.

Check out my now-defunct atheism blog. It's just a blog, no ads, no revenue, no gods.
----
Atheism promotes critical thinking; theism promotes hypocritical thinking. -- Me
[+] 1 user Likes WillHopp's post
02-09-2015, 12:42 PM
(02-09-2015 12:34 PM)houseofcantor Wrote:  
(02-09-2015 12:29 PM)TheBeardedDude Wrote:  It was pretty neat to get to hear him in person but the poor guy was clearly exhausted as he gave out autographs.

Fame sux. I don't know how peeps deal. Undecided

No doubt. He was clearly fighting some jet lab as it was already running too late (it was like 9:30 pm at the point he finished the Q & A)

Being nice is something stupid people do to hedge their bets
-Rick
[+] 1 user Likes TheBeardedDude's post
02-09-2015, 12:43 PM
Awesome Willhop!!

But as if to knock me down, reality came around
And without so much as a mere touch, cut me into little pieces

[+] 1 user Likes Momsurroundedbyboys's post
02-09-2015, 02:03 PM
You guys are such Dawks.

We'll love you just the way you are
If you're perfect -- Alanis Morissette
(06-02-2014 03:47 PM)Momsurroundedbyboys Wrote:  And I'm giving myself a conclusion again from all the facepalming.
[+] 3 users Like morondog's post
02-09-2015, 02:09 PM
Anybody who aided in my deconversion deserves my respect on some level. I only wish I could have met Hitch.

----
[+] 2 users Like WillHopp's post
02-09-2015, 02:15 PM
jealous!

"Belief is so often the death of reason" - Qyburn, Game of Thrones

"The Christian community continues to exist because the conclusions of the critical study of the Bible are largely withheld from them." -Hans Conzelmann (1915-1989)
[+] 2 users Like goodwithoutgod's post