Meeting With The Mormons: My Experience With The Faith And The People of It

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
21-09-2011, 06:21 PM

Meeting With The Mormons: My Experience With The Faith And The People of It
I decided a great place to update my experience would be best here. I posted this on Facebook and will do so here
Giancarlo

Well, around 6:05 my phone rang. I greeted them over the phone and buzzed them into the apartment complex. That is when they got lost and I had to find them...
Next I brought them in, seated them and offered them drinks and they politely declined. This whole time they had not brushed of their creepy smiles.I then stated that I was researching many religions to decide which was true or if none were.
They then proceeded to ask me what I knew of the religion. I said "not much. All I know is probably the same stereotypes that you have heard such as Mormon underwear". They simply chuckled and proceeded to tell me about the Church of Latter Day Saints.
This involved them making me read passages from the Bible and The Book of Mormon.
They told me the story of how The Book of Mormon came to be.

It started back when the followers of Jesus Christ were being killed off. People began to lose faith and soon the church fell from what it used to be. God needed a prophet, someone to return the church back to the way it was, its true self. This is where young Joseph Smith comes into play. In 1820, Joseph, who was only 14 years of age at the time, had been curious about which was the true church of god as it was a time where churches began to spawn up numerously. After questioning many a preachers he discovered that they all said the same things but interpreted them differently and backed them with different scriptures. This is when he decided to simply ask god what church was true. He then, by himself and prayed out loud to god. Soon after Jesus Christ and God appeared before him. When Joseph asked which church was right they replied with, "None". They proceeded to tell Joseph that he was the chosen prophet to return the church to its true self. They then bestowed golden tablets to Joseph, written in an odd foreign language. Through the power of god and Jesus Christ he was able to translate them into English into what is now known as The Book of Mormon. There are only eight eye witnesses who never denied that Joseph had the golden tablets. Joseph then began to preach and the Church of Latter Day Saints began.

They continued to talk and I was asked to read The Book of Mormon and have them back to discuss it.
This is when I was asked if I was comfortable enough to lead them in prayer. I had to force myself not to die laughing and asked them to lead it. One then began to pray:
"Oh Lord and Jesus Christ, Thank you for blessing us with this time with Giancarlo. We pray that through his devout reading and prayer that he may have the truth of The Book of Mormon and God bestowed upon him. Amen"
They said their goodbyes and left, telling me that they would call me soon.
Quote this message in a reply
21-09-2011, 08:38 PM
RE: Meeting With The Mormons: My Experience With The Faith And The People of It
You could of just watched that Mormon episode of South Park.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 1 user Likes mysticjbyrd's post
21-09-2011, 08:42 PM
I am from Utah...

May I offer one of the most beautiful offerings of Mormon history I know of?

http://www.southparkstudios.com/full-epi...ut-mormons

Who can turn skies back and begin again?
[+] 1 user Likes defacto7's post
21-09-2011, 09:10 PM
I'm taking a filler class in college called American Studies. The chosen theme for the semester is sacred sites in America. One that we are covering this week is the Newark Earthworks in Ohio. This site is not only considered sacred by Native Americans (who originally built it), but to the Mormons as well. The teacher asked if anyone knew anything about the Mormons, so I raised my hand. I told the story about Jesus resurrecting in American and turning one of "white" Indian tribes dark because they had attacked a more peaceful tribe. I got nothing but stares. I concluded the story with "I"m not making this up at all, this is what they really believe." I have a feeling that everybody thought I was joking until the teacher confirmed it.
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
22-09-2011, 12:03 AM (This post was last modified: 22-09-2011 12:10 AM by mysticjbyrd.)
(21-09-2011 09:10 PM)ghostexorcist Wrote:  I'm taking a filler class in college called American Studies. The chosen theme for the semester is sacred sites in America. One that we are covering this week is the Newark Earthworks in Ohio. This site is not only considered sacred by Native Americans (who originally built it), but to the Mormons as well. The teacher asked if anyone knew anything about the Mormons, so I raised my hand. I told the story about Jesus resurrecting in American and turning one of "white" Indian tribes dark because they had attacked a more peaceful tribe. I got nothing but stares. I concluded the story with "I"m not making this up at all, this is what they really believe." I have a feeling that everybody thought I was joking until the teacher confirmed it.

I bet if you talked about the Christian myths you would have gotten a different response.
Talking snakes, noahs flood, 6000 year old earth,a guy lived in a whale, etc...those are fine.

The hypocrisy of religion is insane. The fairy tales in my book are true, all those fairy tales in the other books are hogwash.

PS: If you think about it, the stories Joseph Smith told make perfect sense really. Given the time frame, that is exactly the type of fictional story I would expect from someone in the old west.
22-09-2011, 02:02 PM
Some of the best people in my life have been Mormon. By far the kindest, gentlest people. So I honestly don't care if what they believe is nuts or not, it gives them meaning and makes them better people.

The real irony is that the people who decry the religion point to the South Park episode, conveniently ignoring the ending of the episode.

[Image: 81564_gal-1.jpg]
[+] 1 user Likes 17thknight's post
22-09-2011, 03:31 PM

(22-09-2011 02:02 PM)17thknight Wrote:  Some of the best people in my life have been Mormon. By far the kindest, gentlest people. So I honestly don't care if what they believe is nuts or not, it gives them meaning and makes them better people.

The real irony is that the people who decry the religion point to the South Park episode, conveniently ignoring the ending of the episode.

You are in fact right. They are genuinely nice people. However, at the same time, do you knot think that they are wasting countless hours of their lives attempting to spread a lunatic idea that most reject anyway? I have found that, while nice, they are a brainwashed people who have had all free thought taken from them. Not to mention they think unbleached cotton protects them from physical harm.
[+] 2 users Like TheSometimesCynicalWriter's post
22-09-2011, 05:19 PM (This post was last modified: 22-09-2011 09:01 PM by Mark Fulton.)
(22-09-2011 02:02 PM)17thknight Wrote:  Some of the best people in my life have been Mormon. By far the kindest, gentlest people. So I honestly don't care if what they believe is nuts or not, it gives them meaning and makes them better people.

You have bought up a fundamentally important point. You are, I'm sure, pointing out that while their beliefs are deluded, they are nice, good people, they don't do any harm, their beliefs give their life meaning, so what's the problem? The ending of the South park episode makes the same point.

I think this is the wrong attitude. I have thought long and hard for a long time about this issue. At the heart of every Christian religion, including Mormonism, there lies a fundamental agenda...power and financial control over as many people as possible. These clean cut kids who get sent around the world are nice people, but they are being used. They have been told what to do, what to think, and they're having 10% of their income fleeced from them. Most scams only fleece you of your money, but churches also rob you of your individualism, your ability to think rationally, and fill your with head with superstitious and often immoral nonsense. These Mormons present an attractive face to the world , but underneath the facade they are battling with the psychological damage inflicted by fundamentalist beliefs.

For a moral code to be beneficial, its code of ethics must be based on truth, not the bolstering of a controlling hierarchy.

Have a look at some ex Mormon websites and read some sad stories of the mental abuse and discrimination these people have suffered.

Now I would not presume to deny any person the right to believe whatever they want. I will oppose them, however, when they speak publically. I will also oppose them when they try to impregnate their way into schools. To fill a trusting, innocent child's mind with superstitious nonsense is, in my opinion, immoral.

I have no doubt some of these people are nice, good and happy. They have achieved this, i think, because of their strong sense of community, not because of their beliefs. Their beliefs are untruthful and flawed.
[+] 2 users Like Mark Fulton's post
22-09-2011, 08:14 PM

I will update when they come to my home again for another...bible study? so to speak.
I'm tempted to start with, "This was the most terribly written book I have ever read in my entire lifetime. How is something with so many grammar errors and word miss-usage, so many repeated statements and poorly used first grade linguistics skills possibly the word of god".

But I feel that may not go over well with them.
22-09-2011, 09:38 PM (This post was last modified: 22-09-2011 11:28 PM by Mark Fulton.)
(22-09-2011 08:14 PM)TheSometimesCynicalWriter Wrote:  I will update when they come to my home again for another...bible study? so to speak.
I'm tempted to start with, "This was the most terribly written book I have ever read in my entire lifetime. How is something with so many grammar errors and word miss-usage, so many repeated statements and poorly used first grade linguistics skills possibly the word of god".

But I feel that may not go over well with them.

You're absolutely right about their silly book.

Have you looked into the Joseph Smith story? l did about 10 tears ago and it is embarrasingly pathetic. He was a guy with a criminal record as a con man who claimed that as a teenager he started seeing and hearing things.

I was immediately struck by the thought that if he had a genuine truthful bone in his body, it is very likely he was an intelligent schitzophrenic or had schitzoaffective disorder. In the 1840's some people were simple enough to believe god had talked to him.

He started a cult, and built himself a harem with multiple wives ( as you do when you start a religion lol). He was eventually murdered basically because he was such an arrogant arsehole. There's plenty of interesting primary source literature on the internet about what a dickhead he was if anyone is interested to look it up.

After he died they continued to fight amonst themselves and against the government (as you do if you are part of a power hungry cult lol).

They ain't that big here in Australia, but they've got a very expensive looking church in Brisbane in a prime location. I often see them walking around in pairs annoying people.