Meeting With The Mormons: My Experience With The Faith And The People of It

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
22-09-2011, 09:40 PM (This post was last modified: 22-09-2011 09:44 PM by 17thknight.)
RE: Meeting With The Mormons: My Experience With The Faith And The People of It
(22-09-2011 03:31 PM)TheSometimesCynicalWriter Wrote:  You are in fact right. They are genuinely nice people. However, at the same time, do you knot think that they are wasting countless hours of their lives attempting to spread a lunatic idea that most reject anyway? I have found that, while nice, they are a brainwashed people who have had all free thought taken from them. Not to mention they think unbleached cotton protects them from physical harm.

Certainly. Even to the most ardently religious person their claims are pure-on wacko, and they spend a whole heck of a lot of time spreading it. But I'm happier with them being obsessed with doing that than stealing cars or whatever else someone that easily led might do with no direction in their lives. There are religions where my point of tolerance snaps (Scientology for instance) based on how they treat their members, though, regardless of the meaning that the adherrents may think it gives them.
(22-09-2011 05:19 PM)Mark Fulton Wrote:  *LONG POST*

You bring up many goods point and many things that I want to consider more thoughtfully before responding in full. I would not necessarily say they are being used, but I know very little about upper-Mormon Hierarchy to say for certain one way or the other. It's something I simply know too little about. However, even if they are being used, they're being used for something that is relatively harmless to people around them.

[Image: 81564_gal-1.jpg]
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
22-09-2011, 11:12 PM (This post was last modified: 22-09-2011 11:52 PM by defacto7.)
(22-09-2011 09:38 PM)Mark Fulton Wrote:  They ain't that big here in Australia, but they've got a very expensive looking church in Brisbane in a prime location. I often see them walking around in pairs annoying people.

Those expensive looking churches are called temples where they baptize the dead by proxy. The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter Day Saints they affectionately call LDS and which we call Mormon are extremely secretive. Their temples are off limits to all non Mormons and you are required to have a "passport" of sorts to get in. They also have the worlds largest and most complete library of genealogy. Their call in life is to go through that list person by person and baptize those dead relatives of ours into their church with or without your approval. This is so all Christian men will be their servants and women to be concubines in every Mormon's promise to have a new planet where they become gods of that new world... Those who are not Christian have another go at it in another life. There was a huge lawsuit some years ago because it was leaked that they were baptizing the WWII Jewish Holocaust victims. They were sued and I guess promised not to do it again. Then they were caught doing it again and I think that one still is raging.

If you want to read an excellent book about Mormon history and it's religion, probably the best one I know of is "Under the Banner of Heaven" by Jon Krakauer. The Mormons hate it.

BTW, I can see the most sacred of Mormon temples, The Salt Lake City Mormon Temple from the roof of my house. I know about Mormons. The stories are endless and I wouldn't know where to start. There's the good, the bad and the ugly and the really, really stupid.

(22-09-2011 09:40 PM)17thknight Wrote:  However, even if they are being used, they're being used for something that is relatively harmless to people around them.

I don't call dressing up like Native Americans, then slaughtering wagon trains going west that didn't pay to pass through Mormon territory harmless. History... and who gets blamed?

I don't call marrying several 12 to 15 year old girls, calling them wives and breeding them to bring souls out of mid-heaven harmless. This is still done in secret today even though the church itself denies it and punishes it if it comes into the open. It is still condoned in secret. Most of the time, a guy will marry one woman, then "take" their sisters into his home. They are supposedly "spiritually" married.

There have been numerous accounts of a family member being converted to another religion and one of the parents killing his family and committing suicide so their family will have another try in another life... together. Not exactly harmless.

Another thing to remember, most non-Utah Mormons have no idea what the church does, believes or much about it's history.

OK, Now I sound like a crack pot.... so.....

There is a great beer in Utah called, Polygamy Porter. The label says, "Why have just one?" It's pretty good actually.

Who can turn skies back and begin again?
25-09-2011, 07:34 PM

(21-09-2011 06:21 PM)TheSometimesCynicalWriter Wrote:  I decided a great place to update my experience would be best here. I posted this on Facebook and will do so here
Giancarlo

Well, around 6:05 my phone rang. I greeted them over the phone and buzzed them into the apartment complex. That is when they got lost and I had to find them...
Next I brought them in, seated them and offered them drinks and they politely declined. This whole time they had not brushed of their creepy smiles.I then stated that I was researching many religions to decide which was true or if none were.
They then proceeded to ask me what I knew of the religion. I said "not much. All I know is probably the same stereotypes that you have heard such as Mormon underwear". They simply chuckled and proceeded to tell me about the Church of Latter Day Saints.
This involved them making me read passages from the Bible and The Book of Mormon.
They told me the story of how The Book of Mormon came to be.

It started back when the followers of Jesus Christ were being killed off. People began to lose faith and soon the church fell from what it used to be. God needed a prophet, someone to return the church back to the way it was, its true self. This is where young Joseph Smith comes into play. In 1820, Joseph, who was only 14 years of age at the time, had been curious about which was the true church of god as it was a time where churches began to spawn up numerously. After questioning many a preachers he discovered that they all said the same things but interpreted them differently and backed them with different scriptures. This is when he decided to simply ask god what church was true. He then, by himself and prayed out loud to god. Soon after Jesus Christ and God appeared before him. When Joseph asked which church was right they replied with, "None". They proceeded to tell Joseph that he was the chosen prophet to return the church to its true self. They then bestowed golden tablets to Joseph, written in an odd foreign language. Through the power of god and Jesus Christ he was able to translate them into English into what is now known as The Book of Mormon. There are only eight eye witnesses who never denied that Joseph had the golden tablets. Joseph then began to preach and the Church of Latter Day Saints began.

They continued to talk and I was asked to read The Book of Mormon and have them back to discuss it.
This is when I was asked if I was comfortable enough to lead them in prayer. I had to force myself not to die laughing and asked them to lead it. One then began to pray:
"Oh Lord and Jesus Christ, Thank you for blessing us with this time with Giancarlo. We pray that through his devout reading and prayer that he may have the truth of The Book of Mormon and God bestowed upon him. Amen"
They said their goodbyes and left, telling me that they would call me soon.

The Mormons have called me once more. This week on Wednesday 27 September, 2011 at 5pm they will be coming. This time with a movie about Joseph Smith.

What will they think of next.
Quote this message in a reply
25-09-2011, 10:37 PM
(22-09-2011 09:40 PM)17thknight Wrote:  Certainly. Even to the most ardently religious person their claims are pure-on wacko, and they spend a whole heck of a lot of time spreading it. But I'm happier with them being obsessed with doing that than stealing cars

Yah those are the two options all right:
#1 Become a Mormon
#2 Steal cars

Given those plethora of choices, I guess #1 is indeed better.
26-09-2011, 01:32 AM (This post was last modified: 26-09-2011 01:36 AM by 17thknight.)
(25-09-2011 10:37 PM)mysticjbyrd Wrote:  
(22-09-2011 09:40 PM)17thknight Wrote:  Certainly. Even to the most ardently religious person their claims are pure-on wacko, and they spend a whole heck of a lot of time spreading it. But I'm happier with them being obsessed with doing that than stealing cars

Yah those are the two options all right:
#1 Become a Mormon
#2 Steal cars

Given those plethora of choices, I guess #1 is indeed better.

If you reach up, you might be able to grab the point as it sails over you.

26-09-2011, 06:43 PM
(22-09-2011 09:40 PM)17thknight Wrote:  Certainly. Even to the most ardently religious person their claims are pure-on wacko, and they spend a whole heck of a lot of time spreading it.

I understand... but the fact is, these are some of the most ardently religious people on the planet. They are millions of people. They are probably the most wealthy Christian sect on earth including Catholicism. (Don't ask for sources on that. I have read as much.) I wouldn't underestimate the pure-on wacko, is my point.

26-09-2011, 08:11 PM
(26-09-2011 06:43 PM)defacto7 Wrote:  
(22-09-2011 09:40 PM)17thknight Wrote:  Certainly. Even to the most ardently religious person their claims are pure-on wacko, and they spend a whole heck of a lot of time spreading it.

I understand... but the fact is, these are some of the most ardently religious people on the planet. They are millions of people. They are probably the most wealthy Christian sect on earth including Catholicism. (Don't ask for sources on that. I have read as much.) I wouldn't underestimate the pure-on wacko, is my point.

You may be right, and the amount of money some of these groups can bring to bear (bare?) is kind of scary.

26-09-2011, 08:48 PM (This post was last modified: 26-09-2011 08:52 PM by GirlyMan.)
(22-09-2011 02:02 PM)17thknight Wrote:  Some of the best people in my life have been Mormon. By far the kindest, gentlest people. So I honestly don't care if what they believe is nuts or not, it gives them meaning and makes them better people.

I agree with that. The ones I have met and worked and interacted with are very good people, it's just that it seems to me like it's in a Stepford Wives sorta way. ... But I guess whatever works for you to not be an asshole works for me. ...

As it was in the beginning is now and ever shall be, world without end. Amen.
And I will show you something different from either
Your shadow at morning striding behind you
Or your shadow at evening rising to meet you;
I will show you fear in a handful of dust.
26-09-2011, 08:59 PM
(26-09-2011 08:48 PM)GirlyMan Wrote:  ... But I guess whatever works for you to not be an asshole works for me. ...

So you think "live and let live" works in the case of a theist coup d'état? Or just in the case of the "nice" Mormons?

(yes i know... coup d'état is a little over the top Dodgy maybe...)

26-09-2011, 09:56 PM
(26-09-2011 08:59 PM)defacto7 Wrote:  So you think "live and let live" works in the case of a theist coup d'état?

I think a theist coup d'état is as likely as Gadaffi continuing to control Libya. Religion is becoming superstitution as is natural and expected. It's time to go gently into that good night is now. It will collapse of it's own accord without my involvement. Doesn't mean I shouldn't arm myself in the event that me or mine are caught up in some crazyass death throe.

As it was in the beginning is now and ever shall be, world without end. Amen.
And I will show you something different from either
Your shadow at morning striding behind you
Or your shadow at evening rising to meet you;
I will show you fear in a handful of dust.