Meeting with a pastor

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
06-02-2014, 11:17 AM
Meeting with a pastor
I tried talking to my Christian dad about why he believes, and somehow it ended up with plans for me to go talk to his pastor in a week. I think I'm supposed to be asking him questions about belief, and I don't know what to ask.

Any suggestions for questions? Advice on what he might say?
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
06-02-2014, 11:36 AM
RE: Meeting with a pastor
(06-02-2014 11:17 AM)CleverUsername Wrote:  I tried talking to my Christian dad about why he believes, and somehow it ended up with plans for me to go talk to his pastor in a week. I think I'm supposed to be asking him questions about belief, and I don't know what to ask.

Any suggestions for questions? Advice on what he might say?

Can I ask how old you are? Teens?

I would ask your father why he is handing you off. You were right to ask him why he believes and I find it very disturbing that he wouldn't answer your question, it is, after all, his duty as a parent.

If you are as young as I think you are you will be going up against an adult who has had a long time to perfect their apologetics. One scenario could be not to ask any questions. Tell her/him, no offense, but I really want to have this conversation with my dad. Undoubtedly he/she will ask you lots of questions, keep in mind that answering with "I don't know" is perfectly reasonable.

Keep your cool and be polite. Take notes on what the pastor asks you and then when you get home ask those same questions to your dad and see how he answers them. This could be very enlightening for you.

Don't sweat it.

“I am quite sure now that often, very often, in matters concerning religion and politics a man’s reasoning powers are not above the monkey’s.”~Mark Twain
“Ocean: A body of water occupying about two-thirds of a world made for man - who has no gills.”~ Ambrose Bierce
[+] 4 users Like Full Circle's post
06-02-2014, 11:37 AM
That's hugely broad, and hard to predict, really. Do you know him at all? Is he a YEC fundamentalist? Is he fairly moderate?

Expect some potential shifting of goal posts/burdens of proof. The biggest thing is: don't make any claims that you can't back. Don't say "there are no gods", say "there's no evidence any gods exist". If he tries to "prove" anything, hold him accountable for providing evidence for his assertions, and don't take Bible quotes as evidence.

You may want to contact him ahead of time to see what the purpose of the meeting is. Is he trying to convert you? Is he just there to answer your questions? He may actually be a very friendly guy with no intentions to force his beliefs on you. The pastor's at my wife's church are this way. At least one of them knows I don't believe, and he respects that.
06-02-2014, 12:26 PM
(06-02-2014 11:36 AM)Full Circle Wrote:  Can I ask how old you are? Teens?

I would ask your father why he is handing you off. You were right to ask him why he believes and I find it very disturbing that he wouldn't answer your question, it is, after all, his duty as a parent.

If you are as young as I think you are you will be going up against an adult who has had a long time to perfect their apologetics. One scenario could be not to ask any questions. Tell her/him, no offense, but I really want to have this conversation with my dad. Undoubtedly he/she will ask you lots of questions, keep in mind that answering with "I don't know" is perfectly reasonable.

Keep your cool and be polite. Take notes on what the pastor asks you and then when you get home ask those same questions to your dad and see how he answers them. This could be very enlightening for you.

Don't sweat it.

I'm sixteen. My dad did actually make an attempt to answer my questions, but he says the pastor would be able to answer them better. I doubt it.

(06-02-2014 11:37 AM)RobbyPants Wrote:  That's hugely broad, and hard to predict, really. Do you know him at all? Is he a YEC fundamentalist? Is he fairly moderate?

Expect some potential shifting of goal posts/burdens of proof. The biggest thing is: don't make any claims that you can't back. Don't say "there are no gods", say "there's no evidence any gods exist". If he tries to "prove" anything, hold him accountable for providing evidence for his assertions, and don't take Bible quotes as evidence.

You may want to contact him ahead of time to see what the purpose of the meeting is. Is he trying to convert you? Is he just there to answer your questions? He may actually be a very friendly guy with no intentions to force his beliefs on you. The pastor's at my wife's church are this way. At least one of them knows I don't believe, and he respects that.

I've kind of known the guy before, since I used to go to the church. Apparently, my parents told him I didn't believe anymore back when it started and he said it was fine. So, just answering questions, I guess?

I'm sorry, I know it's vague, but it's really all I have to go on. I spent my time around the guy playing math games with the verse numbers in an attempt to stave off boredom.
[+] 1 user Likes CleverUsername's post
06-02-2014, 12:36 PM
Bring a notebook and a pen.
(no electronics, as that tends to offend the "older" generations)
Let him talk. Ask questions if need be and take notes on his answers. I know it sounds silly, but trust me, it helps you collect your thoughts and ask better questions (like journalism). Plus I'm sure the pastor will enjoy the attention.
Then if you start to notice inconsistencies, politely point them out. Normally phrase it in question as to not insult him. For example: "Why do Christians not have to follow the old testament laws when Matthew clearly states otherwise?" (forgot the verse number, but you get the idea)
Let him talk, you ask the questions. That's how you'll better understand him and see through fallacies or other circular arguments.

Good luck.

Atir aissom atir imon
06-02-2014, 12:39 PM
I was at a meeting with pastor once. I had a long 5 hour debate with him after which he resigned from his post.
[+] 2 users Like donotwant's post
06-02-2014, 12:39 PM
Also, don't feel discouraged if you don't "win". You're still young and have plenty of time to gather your thoughts. Look at every experience, whether a "win" or "loss" as a learning experience. A way to better yourself, and then you'll eventually learn how to rebuttle.
It takes time though, just a fair warning.

Atir aissom atir imon
06-02-2014, 12:41 PM
I dont have any words of wisdom for you, but please keep us informed as to what the outcome is of this meeting.

Actually this could be some good practice for you..... without getting rude , of course.
06-02-2014, 01:33 PM
Just be careful you don't find yourself in a 'knife to a gunfight' situation. If you are unsure of the questions, maybe you have no questions and what you have is a position. Questions will leave you open to their circular reasoning. Adopt a position. You can listen to what the pastor says but you don't have to take it on board.

How do you feel the conversation with your Dad went? Did he get upset? Did he feel he was out of his depth on the subject? Could he give you any answers?
06-02-2014, 02:10 PM
(06-02-2014 12:26 PM)CleverUsername Wrote:  My dad did actually make an attempt to answer my questions, but he says the pastor would be able to answer them better. I doubt it.

That doesn't surprise me. I've heard others talk about being referred to pastors or other people when they stump someone. They're basically saying "I know I'm right, but I can't articulate it."

What questions were you asking your dad. If you're looking for debate prep, that might be the best place to start.