Meeting with my psychiatrist

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
03-11-2015, 10:20 AM
So I just got done with seeing my psychiatrist. From the start she was very aggressive very confrontational. The reason being is because to her she's not clear what I want out of therapy. I guess she felt that it was a waste of time if I'm not clear on what I want. The last time I saw her was in December 2014.when I was with her then I was not very adamant about taking any kind of medication so I think she perceived me as not taking this serious. my question is does this even sound like something a doctor would do because for someone who's in need of mental health help they usually aren't sure on what even is going on around them let alone what they want. Am I crazy for thinking that way or am I just complaining about it. It made me feel as if what I was going to try to fix the problem with just talk and try to figure out the next step was not right. Because in her own words I should have a game plan when I first come in to see what I want to do. So now I'm sitting here feeling like a piece of shit because I don't have a game plan on what I want from mental-health help.

Even now I feel that I might just telling my I'm expecting too much from my leadership and the military(this is something she said during my session) the whole session made me really really uncomfortable and made it feel like I was being investigated. I have no problem with that but I figure this is the one place I'm suppose to feel safe.

Any advice would be good.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
03-11-2015, 10:39 AM
RE: Meeting with my psychiatrist
She may be overworked or burned out. As I understand it, some psychiatrists have the philosophy of take pill one or pill two or pill three depending on your diagnosis (obviously not all psychiatrists are like this). If she has that mentality, then by refusing to not take any medication, she could view it as you are not interested in getting better. It seems to me that what you are seeking is counseling. It may be that counseling does not work well for PTSD which is why she seems to lean toward medication, but I don't really know since this is not field. Either way, discussing this as an option would be a good place to start with her next time it this is what you would want. Sorry it was not a good session MrKrispy.
[+] 1 user Likes Iñigo's post
03-11-2015, 10:56 AM
I have seen both therapists and a psychiatrist in the past for clinical depression and anxiety issues. I have also attended therapy/counseling sessions with my youngest son for his anxiety issues.

I don't understand why your doctor was aggressive and confrontational. That seems counterproductive, at least.

The various therapists do not usually, in my experience push medications, although they can recommend them. In other words, they say "you should try meds, I can recommend a doctor to prescribe them." The psychiatrist was very pro medication. He insisted on trying medications, repeatedly adjusted dosage and medications and we eventually settled on a medication and dosage that worked. Looking back, he was correct in both his treatment and his methods.

Depression and some mental illnesses are chemical imbalances in the brain. The drugs given (like Prozac) are just adding chemicals to the mix. It is not a question of feeling inferior. You would not feel like an inferior person if you had a vitamin deficiency, would you?

Talking helps a great deal, but it is usually not enough on its own. It also seems to work well in maintenance. Depression/anxiety feeds on itself. Once you start the spiral, without treatment it will continue to get worse. Chemicals/drugs can break that cycle. Therapy and talking can aid in recovery and maintenance, but are not enough to stop the spiral initially.

You do need a plan, especially if you are going to balk at a doctor's plan. Your plan can be as simple as "Get better." Instead of being confrontational, the doctor should have explained what she wanted.

You have to find the right doctor who understands you and treats you properly. Feeling upset after a session is normal, but the feelings you describe shouldn't be. Can you find a different doctor? If not, try talking things out with this doctor.

Drugs have side effects. Read up on what they want you to take. Write down questions in advance and ask them. Don't let the doctor leave until you are satisfied. Make your wife read up on the meds too. Have her write down questions as well. Talk to the doctor about various drugs.

Hope all that rambling helps.

Help for the living. Hope for the dead. ~ R.G. Ingersoll

Freedom offers opportunity. Opportunity confers responsibility. Responsibility to use the freedom we enjoy wisely, honestly and humanely. ~ Noam Chomsky
03-11-2015, 10:59 AM
My therapist is a psychologist who mostly specializes in substance abuse (I don't have substance abuse issues). From what she told me, most psych clients don't know our game plan. We don't even know what we should do. We're not thinking straight, which is part of why we're in counseling now. If we had our shit together why would we need therapy?

I agree with Iñigo. She sounds stressed.
[+] 1 user Likes Clockwork's post
03-11-2015, 12:43 PM
Was this a military or a civilian doctor?
03-11-2015, 12:46 PM
(03-11-2015 12:43 PM)ohio_drg Wrote:  Was this a military or a civilian doctor?

It was a military doctor.
03-11-2015, 12:56 PM
I heard a story on NPR last week that made me think of your situation. It was about an investigation of the way some bases are treating service members with PTSD/psych issues and suggested that there's some kind of push to get members with problems discharged rather than try to help them. Providing unsympathetic and unhelpful care was part of that. If you google this you will find that story.

"Missed Treatment: Soldiers With Mental Health Issues Dismissed For 'Misconduct'
OCTOBER 28, 2015"

I wonder if that might be part of what's happening to you. It does not at all sound ethical or standard psychiatric practice for a psychiatrist to be interacting with you in the way you describe.

I don't have great advice, other than to document what's going on as best you can.
03-11-2015, 12:59 PM
So I talked to a few people about this but before I get into that I want to highlight a conversation I had with my acting first sergeant(the actual one is on leave)

So I mention to her that as of last Thursday per my psychologist's request I was suppose to be getting daily check-in by way of phone or in person. This includes weekends. Last call I got was Thursday.....see the problem here? So she goes on to say that she was never notified due to my actual first sergeant being the one who this was told to and that he never passed it on. Facepalm So after all this talking and letting them know that I felt that no one was actually looking out for me it happens again.

So I mention that I'm worried about this happening to someone else who might not have the support system at home and solely depend on the military. I also mention the two suicides we just recently had last year and one to a former member weeks after he left our command. She gets all defense and says well we can't stop everyone and that wasn't under our command when it happened so they aren't to blame. Completely missing the fucking point I was trying to fucking make......FUCKKKKKKK!!!!! This is the fucking problem so many people only care if it gets them bad publicity and not worried about the member. Now yes there is truth to what she said they can only do so much. But when you have a member who has had notable problems since mid 2013, has been diagnosed by 3 different providers with PTSD, and is vocal about not receiving help before....I should be near the top of the list along with anyone having these problems brought to light. 4 days of no contact.....4 fucking days. I had to initiate it too.

Instead of support the only thing I get is paperwork for my admin separation(very quick to get that done) yet it's been a year on my med board.

Also little side note I had a conversation with my first sergeant a few hours prior to my mental health appointment last Thursday. I mention how I was feeling suicidal and things were really getting to me....nothing not even an invitation to talk about it right then. For those who aren't familiar with the military or haven't been in for the last 10+ years when that happens you're suppose to at least go see a damn Chaplin or something or at least talk to them then and get a feel. He didn't even address the problem. Just made some joke about my beard.Shocking

It's like they are actively trying to break me down or they really don't give a shit because I reported this stuff to IG and now they have a light on them. I don't know man.
03-11-2015, 01:15 PM
(03-11-2015 12:59 PM)MrKrispy601 Wrote:  I mention how I was feeling suicidal and things were really getting to me....nothing not even an invitation to talk about it right then.

You need to get another doctor, ASAP. Can you talk to a different military doctor? If not, find a non-military doctor. Even call one of the hotlines.

Help for the living. Hope for the dead. ~ R.G. Ingersoll

Freedom offers opportunity. Opportunity confers responsibility. Responsibility to use the freedom we enjoy wisely, honestly and humanely. ~ Noam Chomsky
03-11-2015, 02:07 PM
(03-11-2015 10:20 AM)MrKrispy601 Wrote:  So I just got done with seeing my psychiatrist. From the start she was very aggressive very confrontational. The reason being is because to her she's not clear what I want out of therapy. I guess she felt that it was a waste of time if I'm not clear on what I want. The last time I saw her was in December 2014.when I was with her then I was not very adamant about taking any kind of medication so I think she perceived me as not taking this serious. my question is does this even sound like something a doctor would do because for someone who's in need of mental health help they usually aren't sure on what even is going on around them let alone what they want. Am I crazy for thinking that way or am I just complaining about it. It made me feel as if what I was going to try to fix the problem with just talk and try to figure out the next step was not right. Because in her own words I should have a game plan when I first come in to see what I want to do. So now I'm sitting here feeling like a piece of shit because I don't have a game plan on what I want from mental-health help.

Even now I feel that I might just telling my I'm expecting too much from my leadership and the military(this is something she said during my session) the whole session made me really really uncomfortable and made it feel like I was being investigated. I have no problem with that but I figure this is the one place I'm suppose to feel safe.

Any advice would be good.

I would assume the problem is your refusal to not take any medication, without having any particular game plan to compensate for this. Are you expecting your physiatrist to help you work one out? I don't think that's how it works. Perhaps a psychologist or a therapist is better suited for talk therapy, than a psychiatrist, if that's what you're looking for.

"Tell me, muse, of the storyteller who has been thrust to the edge of the world, both an infant and an ancient, and through him reveal everyman." ---Homer the aged poet.

"In Him was life, and the life was the Light of men. The Light shines in the darkness, and the darkness did not comprehend it."