Megachurch wants choir to sign anti-gay covenant

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
21-03-2011, 01:26 PM

Megachurch wants choir to sign anti-gay covenant
GARDEN GROVE, Calif. (AP) — Several choir members at Orange County's Crystal Cathedral say they're upset over a document they've been asked to sign that takes a strong stand against homosexuality.]Full Article)

RELATED:

Calif. church founder disapproves of anti-gay covenant

Maybe someone poisoned Schuller Sr.'s sperm, when he seeded what became fascist daughters who believe in "cleansing" the church. Dodgy

October 2010)Tribute to Crystal Cathedral choral director a sign of rift

(Excerpt)"...But things ended on a sour note for the choir director. He said the "last straw" for him was when Gretchen Schuller Penner, who directs the "Hour of Power" programs, told him that she would be "vetting choir members" going forward and that she would make sure that they were "emotionally and spiritually fit for the Crystal Cathedral."

Why doesn't the church vet those responsible for getting CC into 55 million dollars of debt, and then declaring bankruptcy so that they could dishonor the covenant to pay what they owed, and still keep the church that is a testament to pride and materialism. Oh, and suicides! 2004 & 2009
Oh come on now! That's a cleansing! Tongue

(Not to mention gays were not an issue for Schuller's offspring, when a openly gay architect Philip Johnson, was retained by the Schuller family to design the Cathedral, while Sr. exhorted his congregation for the millions it would take to build it. So those damned abominations are OK, as long as they serve a purpose for the church. But once the church is built, Pastor Sheila Schuller says, it's a matter of covenant to sign accord to bigotry against Gays, by our choir. Because you know, God likes only those straight voices to ring his glory into heaven!Rolleyes )
Quote this message in a reply
21-03-2011, 01:39 PM
RE: Megachurch wants choir to sign anti-gay covenant
Every time I hear about these things, I die a little inside.

Hey brother christian, with your high and mighty errand, your actions speak so loud, I can't hear a word you're saying.

"This machine kills fascists..."

"Well this machine kills commies!"
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
21-03-2011, 01:59 PM
We must always rememeber that this is not Christianity, but a sect of it. I know plenty of Christian ministers who have absoulutely zero problem with homosexuality or pre-marital sex and plenty of homosexual Christians as well.

This theology is very specific. It says no sex before marriage and marriage is a union of male and female. As antiquated a model as that might be, there is always room for paritioners of this megachurch to fight it or go somewhere else.

This sort of rigid theology is always problematic. The Catholic Church has struggled for a very long time about whether or not priests should be celibate. There are a large number of Catholic theologians who don't agree with the policy. An excellent film on the subject is the Mexican film The Crime of Padre Amaro, based on a Portugese novel from 1875: showing how long this problem has been in debate. Then there's the little boy problem... yeah... let these guys marry for Christ's sake. At least the odd handjob.

All of this is to say that there are progressive movements within most Christian sects that are fighting against these rigid an outmoded policies. Their success rates vary wildly (there is already resistance within the Crystal Cathedral), but we must simply remember that this Shuller woman isn't a homophobe because she's Christian, but because she practices a very specific theology.

All of that being said, get bent, lady!

Peace and Love and Empathy,

Matt
21-03-2011, 03:11 PM
(21-03-2011 01:59 PM)Ghost Wrote:  We must always rememeber that this is not Christianity, but a sect of it. I know plenty of Christian ministers who have absoulutely zero problem with homosexuality or pre-marital sex and plenty of homosexual Christians as well.

Not that I object to more moderate aspects of the Christian faith but aren't you bordering on a "no-true-Scotsman" type of situation ?
I mean if a Christian is someone who believes the word of the bible , the book instructs them to stone men to death for masturbation and homosexuality.And it forbids any marriage that is not heterosexual.
I have no doubt there are decent people but the book itself is highly bigoted and there are 38000 interpretations of it.I just see it as easy for a bigot to find an excuse.

On a side note I'm also curios about the Jewish reform movement - other than a few more orthodox sects of Judaism , most accept gay people and no longer go to a literal interpretation.

Atheism is a religion like OFF is a TV channel !!!

Proud of my genetic relatives Big Grin
21-03-2011, 03:23 PM
(21-03-2011 01:59 PM)Ghost Wrote:  but we must simply remember that this Shuller woman isn't a homophobe because she's Christian, but because she practices a very specific theology.

You should change your handle from "Ghost" to "Apologist".

And, I'm pretty certain that homosexuality being a sin is not a minority opinion either within the many variants of Christianity or the other large monotheistic religions. They are all homophobic. The fact that a handful of them break with their bigoted traditions does not change the underlying fact that the 3 big religions all have as part of their standard dogma that gay = bad/evil/sin/etc.

Shackle their minds when they're bent on the cross
When ignorance reigns, life is lost
21-03-2011, 05:12 PM
I've just remembered something.
Why is it that most religions have a problem with gay men rather than gay women ?

Atheism is a religion like OFF is a TV channel !!!

Proud of my genetic relatives Big Grin
21-03-2011, 06:25 PM

Because most priests can't masturbate to gay men.
Quote this message in a reply
21-03-2011, 06:45 PM
(21-03-2011 05:12 PM)gaglamesh731 Wrote:  I've just remembered something.
Why is it that most religions have a problem with gay men rather than gay women ?

They have a big problem with gay women too. My wife has a good friend who is a lesbian and we've hung out with her and a bunch of her friends, many of whom are also lesbians. Most of them have stories about discrimination based on religion.

21-03-2011, 06:47 PM
(21-03-2011 01:59 PM)Ghost Wrote:  We must always rememeber that this is not Christianity, but a sect of it. I know plenty of Christian ministers who have absoulutely zero problem with homosexuality or pre-marital sex and plenty of homosexual Christians as well.

"If a man also lie with mankind, as he lieth with a woman, both of them have committed an abomination: they shall surely be put to death; their blood shall be upon them." -Leviticus 20:13

You either believe the Bible is the word of God or you do not. If you decide you don't like certain bits and just ignore or dismiss them, then who are you to say which bits those are?

Not sure if you're Christian or not, but this train of logic has always confused me.

Be polite.
Be efficient.
Have a plan to kill everyone you meet.
21-03-2011, 06:58 PM
(21-03-2011 06:47 PM)ConditionYellow Wrote:  You either believe the Bible is the word of God or you do not. If you decide you don't like certain bits and just ignore or dismiss them, then who are you to say which bits those are?

And, CY and I find some common ground. I agree with this statement 100%. You either believe in the bible, as written, or you fall into the realm of "just making shit up". The bible is real or it is not. All these people who try to white wash it and rationalize the nasty parts into meaning something else and come up with this "no, seriously, god loves us and doesn't mean we should kill the gays and non-believers" bullshit are not being true to the actual document and are just making shit up. The bible does not say to tolerate other people, cultures, religions, etc. The old testament is filled with wholesale slaughter and genocide of people who don't buy into the early Hebrews view of reality, all sanctioned and approved by their all loving, all knowing sadomasochistic deity. This church is not the exception, they are the ugly bitter rule.

[+] 1 user Likes BnW's post