Megaupload shut down. Who's next?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
20-01-2012, 05:59 AM
Megaupload shut down. Who's next?
Megaupload, a major file hosting site, was shut down and its founder Kim Dotcom arrested by US authorities yesterday.

http://www.wired.com/threatlevel/2012/01...shuttered/

No doubt other steps aimed at fighting the online "piracy" will follow soon.

What will they hunt for next? YouTube?
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
20-01-2012, 06:55 AM
RE: Megaupload shut down. Who's next?
Youtube has pretty good guidelines regarding compliance. It can detect audio and even video material that has been flagged as copyrighted within a short time after the video was uploaded as it runs through a database. So technically youtube is pretty darn good about abiding by that stuff.

An upload site that allows uploads of files is going to be very very difficult to monitor and do the same with unless you have copies of the original programs and/or files and a database of material to go through to keep things in check.

If anything, other upload sites would be pursued in my opinion, since one site infringing upon content would make a great example in the media and more political leverage to go after others.

But youtube is pretty good with complying on stuff.
20-01-2012, 08:46 AM
(20-01-2012 05:59 AM)evilflower Wrote:  Megaupload, a major file hosting site, was shut down and its founder Kim Dotcom arrested by US authorities yesterday.

http://www.wired.com/threatlevel/2012/01...shuttered/

No doubt other steps aimed at fighting the online "piracy" will follow soon.

What will they hunt for next? YouTube?

This certainly looked like a criminal enterprise from the get-go, not a couple of kids sharing some music and videos.

We don't need SOPA or PIPA as there are already copyright laws and the means to enforce them after the act, but not preemptively.

Skepticism is not a position; it is an approach to claims.
Science is not a subject, but a method.
[Image: flagstiny%206.gif]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 1 user Likes Chas's post
20-01-2012, 11:01 AM
Yeah, no real surprise there for Megaupload. It was bound to be gone sooner or later.
20-01-2012, 11:32 AM (This post was last modified: 20-01-2012 11:35 AM by evilflower.)
(20-01-2012 06:55 AM)Logisch Wrote:  If anything, other upload sites would be pursued in my opinion, since one site infringing upon content would make a great example in the media and more political leverage to go after others.
And the victims will be the people who used those sites for legitimate purposes. See this, for example.

Imagine finding your apartment burned down to ashes, along with the whole building, just because, say, a guy in another apartment was suspected in trading copyrighted music online.

(20-01-2012 08:46 AM)Chas Wrote:  This certainly looked like a criminal enterprise from the get-go, not a couple of kids sharing some music and videos.
Excuse me. Why "a criminal enterprise"? Just because they provided file sharing services, which could be used for sharing copyrighted material?

If so, then any enterprise can be easily labeled as criminal.

Let's take Microsoft Corporation as an example:
- Windows Media Player can be used for playing copyrighted music and videos;
- Internet Explorer can be used to access Megaupload and download copyrighted music and videos;
- Windows can be used to run Windows Media Player and Internet Explorer;
etc., etc.
[+] 2 users Like evilflower's post
20-01-2012, 11:56 AM
Anonymous was not pleased with the governments actions http://rt.com/usa/news/anonymous-doj-uni...-sopa-235/

NEW AND IMPROVED!
Twice the anger, Half the space!
20-01-2012, 12:01 PM (This post was last modified: 20-01-2012 12:32 PM by kineo.)
(20-01-2012 11:32 AM)evilflower Wrote:  Excuse me. Why "a criminal enterprise"? Just because they provided file sharing services, which could be used for sharing copyrighted material?

If so, then any enterprise can be easily labeled as criminal.

Let's take Microsoft Corporation as an example:
- Windows Media Player can be used for playing copyrighted music and videos;
- Internet Explorer can be used to access Megaupload and download copyrighted music and videos;
- Windows can be used to run Windows Media Player and Internet Explorer;
etc., etc.

It is not "just because they provide file sharing services", it is because they allow copyrighted material to be hosted and distributed without making a serious effort to prevent it.

Windows Media player does not host or provide access to outside sources of the copyrighted material. It does not contain a server on which copyrighted material is hosted and through which copyrighted material is illegally distributed.

Internet Explorer also does not host or distribute the material.

Megaupload did host and distribute the copyrighted data, therefore it was deemed criminal and shut down.

Don't get me wrong, I am no fan of the MPAA or RIAA. These groups are filthy rich and money grubbing for more. And they refuse to be flexible enough to meet the demands of the current economic setting and convenient access culture. They make services like Netflix suffer because they want to get more money quicker out of their products before Netflix gets the title for streaming, for example. They arrest and prosecute their own customers. And they resist new media outlets like YouTube until it's too late to recover.

These groups need to change with the times, not force the government to prop them up in their old habits.

However, Megaupload was blatant in their piracy and they got shut down for it. I'm not surprised, but I'm a little bummed. This is hardly a case where Megaupload was treated unfairly, so far as I can tell from the information I've seen thus far. Sure the customers who were legit suffer, and that sucks. But legit customers suffer also when any other wayward business partakes in unethical or illegal practices, and then get caught for doing so.
(20-01-2012 11:56 AM)Hamata k Wrote:  Anonymous was not pleased with the governments actions http://rt.com/usa/news/anonymous-doj-uni...-sopa-235/

From the article:
Quote:“It was in retaliation for Megaupload, as was the concurrent attack on Justice.org,” Anonymous operative Barrett Brown tells RT on Thursday afternoon.

I kind of get a bit of lulz when an Anon member is outed in an interview. I heard a BBC radio interview where the interviewer was in an Anon hacker's house, trying to reference him only by his online handle. But he slipped up and called him by name during the live interview, and the uncomfortable silence that followed made me smirk. Not because I'm against Anon- I'm neutral when it comes to them- but I guess I just enjoy the irony when they get named.
[+] 1 user Likes kineo's post
20-01-2012, 12:37 PM
This will stop nothing. The war against piracy is a complete waste of time. Every time a file sharing site gets taken down people move to another. People always find a way to share files, nothing anyone does will stop that.

Behold the power of the force!
[Image: fgYtjtY.gif]
[+] 2 users Like FSM_scot's post
21-01-2012, 05:39 AM
I have very little to say about this, this is just awful. If you want to start pointing fingers, start from Metallica and Napster.

This is all bullshiting, just so that they can censure all of us. This whole thing has absolutely nothing to do with protecting the copyrighted material, this is for controlling the flow of information, they use copyright as an excuse.

At the time when Metallica has pushed Napster to close down, the famous rappers from Public Enemy wanted to make a point how Metallica are assholes, so what did Public Enemy do? They had a new album coming out and they have published it whole on their web page 2 weeks before they put in on the shelves of record companies. Do you thing that they lost anything because of that? Person who listens to some group/artist will buy the CD, sooner or later, it matters not if they already have some crappy mp3 or not. Those who do not buy CDs, they will not buy them if you block all mp3 in the world. Example? Old cassettes and the "record" button. How did we ever copy our music before the Internet? Simple, we will continue to it after they shut down the Internet completely, so there is really no way of stopping that and it makes NO difference on selling and buying the original CDs...

I repeat again, those who want to buy the original will buy it no matter if they can download it for "free" or not, those who do not want to buy, will not buy it no matter do they have the "download" option or not.

Everything else is just bullshit!!

Burn Metallica and praise Public Enemy!!

Smile

[Image: a6505fe8.jpg]
I have a theory that the truth is never told during the nine-to-five hours.
-Hunter S. Thompson
[+] 1 user Likes Filox's post
21-01-2012, 12:26 PM
(20-01-2012 12:37 PM)FSM_scot Wrote:  This will stop nothing. The war against piracy is a complete waste of time. Every time a file sharing site gets taken down people move to another. People always find a way to share files, nothing anyone does will stop that.

Feels every bit as wrongheaded and futile as America's War on Drugs to me.

As it was in the beginning is now and ever shall be, world without end. Amen.
And I will show you something different from either
Your shadow at morning striding behind you
Or your shadow at evening rising to meet you;
I will show you fear in a handful of dust.
[+] 1 user Likes GirlyMan's post