Megaupload shut down. Who's next?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
21-01-2012, 03:24 PM
RE: Megaupload shut down. Who's next?
(21-01-2012 12:26 PM)GirlyMan Wrote:  Feels every bit as wrongheaded and futile as America's War on Drugs to me.

That's exactly what I was thinking when I typed that. Its more of a feel good thing that will end up costing millions while accomplishing nothing.

I doubt the entertainment industry would be as keen to pursue this if they had to pay the costs of it from their own profits, rather than letting taxpayers foot the bill.

Behold the power of the force!
[Image: fgYtjtY.gif]
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
23-01-2012, 04:31 AM (This post was last modified: 23-01-2012 05:13 AM by Filox.)
Oh, and this bullshit about FBI claiming that they have captured worlds greatest hacker and that Megaupload was the worlds biggest piracy site? Are they fucking insane? Megaupload can suck balls compared to Rapidshare, or any torrent site. And there was no hacking or piracy violations concerning the work of Megaupload, the users are the ones that were uploading copyrighted material, so the users are the guilty ones here. As for Dotcom being worlds biggest hacker, what? What the hell did he hack in to? He just made a profit by renting you a web space to keep you files, completely legit part of Internet.

FBI is so full of lies concerning this case, it is either that, or they are stupid as hell so that they do not understand the basic things about Internet and how that strange contraption even works. Since Dotcom is a multi-millionaire, I wouldn't be at least surprised that he walks out clean from this.

Have you noticed that he has legally changed his last name into Dotcom? how cool is that? Smile

As for the whole "piracy" and steeling money stupidity... Here is how I look at these things, first of all we have Google and Facebook on one side, they are all for free Internet, on the other side we have Microsoft and Sony, they are all for extreme control and "pay, pay, pay, give me money".

I was just thinking about this and how stupid is Microsoft in this case. They think that they loose millions of dollars because people like me use cracked Windows on our private computers. What they do not understand that pirates like me (this is how they see me) are the ones that have promoted their product and made them all these millions of dollars they now have. OK, now I just sound stupid, how can I give them money if I do not give them money? ...

Imagine that for th last 20 years there was no cracked software, that the protection of the software was superb and that no one could crack it. Then you would have Microsoft Windows that cost around 100-200 dollars, but on the other side you would have Linux that is free. OK, 20 years ago Linux was not as developed as it is today, but it was useful and free. Since there is a significant difference in the price, people who never worked on a computer would choose the cheapest option, since it is all the same and they need to start learning one or the other OS. If that was the case, nobody would be using Windows today, but Linux.

So what did cracking of the Windows OS do? It made people use "free" cracked Windows and made them depended on that same OS, since now they are all used to that particular one and very few people choose to learn Linux. Then you as a private person open up a company and you need to have licensed software because of the inspections, so you will now buy the Microsoft Windows, because you use it for the last 20 years and you are used to it, plus you have no idea how to use Linux. Thus, cracking some OS has made us depended on it, and now they are one the biggest companies in the world and they own most their marketing to hackers and crackers that have been "steeling" their OS and giving it away to other people for free.

Also, if you don't download something to listen, see, read or use to see if it works, if it is any good, why in the world would anyone give money for it? For example, some artist puts out a new album. Would you buy it before listening, or do you plan on listening to it first, to see if it is any good, and then go the the shop and buy it? If you want to listen it first, you need to download it, thus steel it first.

None of these idiots realize how important shearing things on Internet is, how hacker and crackers are important for pushing the boundaries, for making things move forward. Imagine where would security of Microsoft Windows be if no one was ever exploiting their security holes and pointing out the flaws of their OS. We would still be on Win XP with no Service Packs at all.

Point is, even if at this moment I do not have a legal copy of Windows on my computer, when I open up my private company I am forced to buy a license for every computer because I am used and depended on Windows, since I am using them all my life and I have no time of will to start learning how to use Linux. I know it's not complicated, but it is easier to buy a few licenses and not to worry about new things. Cracked software makes you depended on it, so sooner or later you will have to buy that same software. There is no money loss here, there is only free and great marketing and promotion.

If they start pushing this, this can blow up in the ways they can never imagine. Now, only small groups of people are fighting for all of us and for yours and my freedoms, but if they push this further, if they limit Facebook, Youtube and Google, then they will see what Internet community means and how futile is to go against most of the world. Plus, Google (Youtube owner as well) and Facebook are one of the richest and biggest companies in the whole world, stronger than even Microsoft, so it's not only kids in front of their computers...

The fight has begun, be careful and prepare yourself to defend your rights.

[Image: a6505fe8.jpg]
I have a theory that the truth is never told during the nine-to-five hours.
-Hunter S. Thompson
[+] 1 user Likes Filox's post
23-01-2012, 06:50 AM
Filox raises a good point. If they could control the net like they are trying to do and succeed people will just turn to free versions of similar software.
Because of their own greed in trying to control the net they are effectively signing their own death warrant.

Behold the power of the force!
[Image: fgYtjtY.gif]
23-01-2012, 06:40 PM
I'm definitely not for piracy and the man who ran megaupload was an idiot in the first place. http://kotaku.com/kim-dotcom/

None of us should be surprised by the shutdown of sites like these. I don't agree with the handling of piracy by the government but I believe the solution is new methods for consumers like Netflix, Itunes, and Steam which provide easy access for media and also at great and affordable prices.

This is how we should combat it. With great customer satisfaction instead of an iron grip.

"Mankind must put an end to war, or war will put an end to mankind." -John F Kennedy

The way to see by Faith is to shut the eye of Reason.” -Benjamin Franklin

It has been a long time. How have you been?
24-01-2012, 02:18 AM
Shiruba, yes, I did not think about this, but yes, if you want to combat this illegal downloading, then look up to iTunes. They made tons of profit just by giving something simple to the people, it's cheap and simple, so everybody is using it and downloading music legally. So there is an alternative to illegal downloading, it's cheap and simple downloading.

But tell that to Sony and Microsoft...

As for the Dotcom, I am not saying he is not an idiot and an asshole, but if we look at the site he is arrested for, he is not a hacker, because Megaupload had nothing to do with hacking and stealing data, like hackers do, further more, he definitely is not the "worlds most dangerous hacker", that statement is so stupid, ignorant, it is clearly a lie, just to spread panic and to make a point before his prosecution starts, so that the jury and all the people have a picture of him as the Satan's son. What Megauplod did, is it enabled people to put whatever they wanted online, that's it. There was no hacking, or copyright violations there, users who were putting copyrighted material are the ones to blame, they are the ones that broke the law in this case. Megaupload has only protected their privacy and the privacy of users data, so they did not check it and did not touch it, that makes them correct and good public service. Free, safe, private and easy, great.

This whole action had only one purpose, to make people afraid and to put them in state of fear and panic, so that when they ask: "Can we put up OUR new law against piracy?" all the scared people will cry out to them: "YES, please save us from Satans like Dotcom, protect us, I will give up some of my rights for my safety and protection!!"

Don't you see that? It is clear as day to anyone who understands and uses computer and Internet at least in a small dose. This is typical scare tactics that USA government uses for multiple things, one of them being marijuana ban (last 100 years) as well. Whenever they have something they want to ban, but have no valid reasons, they invent some crazy theories and produce a lot of fear and panic through different campaigns and accusations (typical scare tactic - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=awrmhrCFk2o), so that people can buy the stupid story they are selling. It happening all over again.

-Hunter S. Thompson
24-01-2012, 12:39 PM
There's a real good reason to it:

[Image: musicpiracy.png?54b313]

"Infinitus est numerus stultorum." (The number of fools is infinite)
[+] 6 users Like Thammuz's post
24-01-2012, 02:43 PM (This post was last modified: 24-01-2012 03:06 PM by ShirubaDangan.)
Don't forget Reefer Madness: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M6MGVpl5ux8

The main reason I'm so against piracy is I'm tired of seeing things like this: http://torrentfreak.com/the-witcher-2-de...ms-111224/ or this http://kotaku.com/5876690/these-video-ga...s-for-cash It will continue until the companies find an answer they like and hopefully find a solution that we like also. That's where I'm hoping companies that make their users happy can help fight piracy.

Now I have family in government and even though I disagree and talk with them. I hardly see them as satanists who only want to see everyone's demise. What I've learned is that they are tired of the companies pestering them for an ultimatum to this problem and are giving in.

I understand big rich companies that won't be affected by this but what can you say about these small companies? http://www.shacknews.com/article/55906/w...o-creator# still unfortunate http://arstechnica.com/gaming/news/2010/...y-sale.ars

World of Goo had a 90%-95% metacritic review score which usually makes people more confident in buying the product instead of pirating. What happened? About 90% of their copies were pirated.

Its insanely sad and you cannot say it didn't affect them in some way.

I don't care about the insanely rich artist who wants more money. I'm worried of the companies who cannot live if this continues and will be forced to make their customers unhappy by installing DRM's or not making games for the PC at all. Which is already starting to happen.

Also found this also: http://www.animevice.com/news/shonen-jum...anga/4254/
http://io9.com/5874951/why-manga-publish...get-better

When a company begs you not to pirate things. I think we have a problem. They either need to make it cheaper and more affordable or give something to customers that will make them buy it.

Pleasing the company and the consumer is the ultimate answer but it is hard when each side is waging a bitter war on one another.

"Mankind must put an end to war, or war will put an end to mankind." -John F Kennedy

25-01-2012, 03:35 AM
ShirubaDangan, the things you posted make me rather hate the developers than the pirates. Sending threatening letters to users... Sounds like a blackmail.

I am a software dev myself. Am I for piracy? Guess. But I believe it cannot be stopped. Just because people who want to get their copies for free will always be in majority compared to those who profiteer from soft/games/music/movies. That's why, to my opinion, targeting users of pirated copies is 1) pointless and 2) harmful to a company's reputation.

From this point of view, this time the organizations chose a good target. At least a multimillionaire, notorious for his public image and dubious business adventures in the past, is a better choice for a filthy pirate than a mother of four who downloaded 24 songs from Kazaa. Although I still think that accusations of Kim Dotcom in piracy are questionable. kineo argues that Megaupload were guilty because they hosted the files and provided access to them. If so, the list of pirates should be populated with the owners of the buildings in which Megaupload servers were located, the owners of the land where those buildings were located... The line is thin.

Also very strange, to my opinion, are charges in "racketeering" and "money laundering". Assumed the guy wanted to wash his dirty money, why he did it via creating a file-sharing hosting and promoting it to the world's top 20 most visited sites? Wasn't there any simpler and quieter way?

However, let the police investigate and let the judges judge, and let us hope they do it honestly.

One last note, for kineo: To my knowledge, Barrett Brown is a public figure.
25-01-2012, 04:17 AM
That was the point. I hate seeing companies going after consumers this way.

Now the problem I see is that these companies will continue to be unsatisfied and attack consumers. How can we stop this? I want them to change and become more consumer friendly like Steam or Netflix. The problem? As long as piracy continues, raids against consumers will never stop. Companies are as stubborn as theists in their old ways and will hardly change.

Its this problem we need solved.

25-01-2012, 04:36 AM
You both (ShirubaDangan & evilflower) talk smart and have good arguments. But you do realize that I would never buy an original CD for CallOfDuty4: ModernWarfare if I haven't downloaded it, played it for months on cracked servers and then eventually decided that the game is extremely good, that it deserves every cent I payed for it and that original servers can be even better than cracked ones?

I sympathize with small companies that can not make profit because it is easy to download cracked version (like World Of Goo, great small game), but then again, that is the risk you need to take into consideration before starting a business, because that is how things in this word of Internet function. So, maybe they could have prepared better with some different marketing, target different buyers groups, lower prices, something... The piracy is on the Internet since Internet was made, so that is something every software company must be aware of and take precautions before they start production.

Every aspect of business has it's own risks and profits. I'll use iTunes again as a good way to show how to make people buy things legally. You can see there how many people are using it and paying everything legally. All those people can get all that music for "free", but it is easier to use iTunes and pay something. So there is a way of selling things legally online, you just need a good strategy.

And for the end, this new PIPA, SOPA and ACTA laws are much, much more than just protection of company property, in the end it all comes down to mass control of the whole Internet, espionage and violation of everyones privacy and civil rights. So even if we all wanted to stop illegal trafficking of data, this is not the way.

-Hunter S. Thompson