Megaupload shut down. Who's next?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
25-01-2012, 04:49 AM
RE: Megaupload shut down. Who's next?
(25-01-2012 04:17 AM)ShirubaDangan Wrote:  That was the point. I hate seeing companies going after consumers this way.

Now the problem I see is that these companies will continue to be unsatisfied and attack consumers. How can we stop this? I want them to change and become more consumer friendly like Steam or Netflix. The problem? As long as piracy continues, raids against consumers will never stop. Companies are as stubborn as theists in their old ways and will hardly change.

Its this problem we need solved.

Again, if piracy makes at least some companies become more consumer-friendly, that's a bright side of piracy Smile

(25-01-2012 04:36 AM)Filox Wrote:  I sympathize with small companies that can not make profit because it is easy to download cracked version (like World Of Goo, great small game), but then again, that is the risk you need to take into consideration before starting a business, because that is how things in this word of Internet function. So, maybe they could have prepared better with some different marketing, target different buyers groups, lower prices, something... The piracy is on the Internet since Internet was made, so that is something every software company must be aware of and take precautions before they start production.

Totally agree. But if the companies in addition have legal mechanisms to push people into paying money for them, you bet they will use them.

Alternative ways of doing business? Why you think software is moving to the "clouds"? Because as soon as all your soft is online, the piracy no longer has any sense. Controlling access will become a piece of cake.

For music industry, they can gain profits from merchandise and band performances. And also from music CD's because there will always be people who WILL want to buy them, even if all stuff is available for free. Movie industry can profit from cinema sessions.

But old ways of making money will not be changed in a day. And this is normal. The larger an enterprise is, the harder it is to change its business model.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
25-01-2012, 05:58 AM
@ evilflower

After hearing some of your arguments I came to realize what I already knew, but didn't cherry-pick it. As far as music industry goes, I really do not care about them, they can make all the money in the world and piracy means nothing to them, if they want to make money, let them work for it a little bit, go on tours, make some shirts, do something, instead of waiting for someone to buy your CD. People who want to have original CD or LP will always buy it, because there IS a difference in the sound if you have a good audio system like I do. Smile

As for the movie industry, I really do not care and will keep on downloading movies, only a small number of them are worth enough to actually spend some money on. The biggest money is in cinemas and first few weeks of cinema sessions. So I do not care about them as well.

As for the software companies (games included) that is where I get the guilty feeling when downloading something and for the last few years I tend to use only free software (like CCleaner and Open Office) that I can find on http://www.filehippo.com, but I still use Ms Windows. Now for my Windows I am not that illegal, as I have bought my laptop with legal Vista, but since I hate and despise that OS, I have formated my hard disk and installed WinXp SP3 on it. So in a way, I do have a license, only I have decided to downgrade it by myself. When I install somebodies computer I tend to use free software as well.

I think that this Cloud thing is great, it enables people to use applications for just a small amount of that application's worth and the piracy is in control, because I do not see how could you use it unless you pay.

So as far as I can see, the "piracy" problem is blown out of its realistic proportions. People who make these "statistics" use every single thing they can come up with to boost the numbers and get bigger advantage. The problem is not as nearly as big as they want to show it, since there are alternatives. Music alternative to piracy are music tours, movie alternatives are cinema sessions, and both have all sorts of merchandise like shits, backpacks, tea cups... Software companies have less alternatives, one of them is Cloud, but it can not be used by everyone, so they still need to search for alternatives, more of them that is.

I also like how most of the crackers from Piratebay always put this in the end of the explanation for the .torrent

Quote:1. Unrar this cracked update into the <install> dir of the initial release.
2. Play the game.
3. Support the software developers. If you like this game, BUY IT!

At least something, you can not say they are completely immoral. And I agree with them, I download, play and if I like, I buy.

[Image: a6505fe8.jpg]
I have a theory that the truth is never told during the nine-to-five hours.
-Hunter S. Thompson
25-01-2012, 04:03 PM
The problem is that the market that tries the game with piracy and than buys the game is a relatively small market. People argue for that but as myself for someone who downloaded thousands of things in the pas(Not any longer)t. I never thought once to buy the product if I already had it. I know plenty of people who thought the same. Never had I seen someone just buy it after pirating it either unless the multiplayer was constantly being improved like team fortress 2 which kept pirates away since they constantly added new free content. Which is a perfect solution.

The problem is even if piracy does help them push them to make better models its also making people abandon and leave altogether. Ubisoft is not making titles for PC anymore. Instead they are making free to play models because they said their games are being pirated too much that they make no profit. http://www.pcgamer.com/2011/11/24/ubisof...-worth-it/ This is extreme and not what I would want. Why a ton of huge titles move away from PC is that they make much more money and piracy is about 5 times lower on console. http://www.tweakguides.com/Piracy_4.html

Look at many titles. Instead of being fine tuned for the PC they are usually being ported with no effort which leaves PC games a let down. It shows developers simply don't care about the pc anymore and could care less. The Witcher 2 is now moving to xbox. About every 1 game it sold 5 were pirated. http://pc.gamespy.com/pc/the-witcher-2/1213629p1.html obviously it affected these guys in a bad way to hunt people down.

We can't say piracy isn't a problem. The music industry can survive piracy because of their songs used films, tours and advertisements. They have other ways to gain profit. Films take a while to pirate well since they don't release a physical or retail version for a couple months and pirated versions usually are filmed and terribly bad.

Video games don't have those comforts. It is either they do well or not. I like seeing games on minecraft thrive on PC but other indie games are struggling. Agian even though the world of Goo had amazing reviews. A 90% piracy has got too affect them someway.

I still don't support piracy. I don't support the government's way of handling it either.

"Mankind must put an end to war, or war will put an end to mankind." -John F Kennedy

The way to see by Faith is to shut the eye of Reason.” -Benjamin Franklin

It has been a long time. How have you been?
28-01-2012, 09:52 PM
Arresting Dotcom is every bit a clever as arresting an airline CEO as some of the passengers where smuggling drugs.

A casual stroll through the lunatic asylum shows that faith does not prove anything. Friedrich Nietzsche
[+] 1 user Likes Karl's post
03-02-2012, 10:24 AM
fightning piracy its just the slogan of this campaign.
the real intentions are to elitize even more the acces to information and education and limit freedom of expression.