Megyn Kelly is moving from Fox to NBC

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
15-01-2017, 04:13 PM
RE: Megyn Kelly is moving from Fox to NBC
(15-01-2017 04:12 PM)Commonsensei Wrote:  "Santa is white, let's just make that clear." ~ Megan Kelly

Like I said, Faux news is fine, with the volume off.

"If we are honest—and scientists have to be—we must admit that religion is a jumble of false assertions, with no basis in reality.
The very idea of God is a product of the human imagination."
- Paul Dirac
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
15-01-2017, 04:19 PM
(15-01-2017 01:49 PM)Gilgamesh Wrote:  
(15-01-2017 01:33 PM)RocketSurgeon76 Wrote:  Again, the news on CC is frequently more accurate and insightful than what's on the supposedly legitimate news channels. People like me watch because they're smart enough to recognize when that happens.

Also, the "current year" thing, as I've pointed out to you before, is just a way of saying, "Why are those people still acting the way that hasn't been acceptable to anyone in normal society since the 1960s?" It's what you'd say if you saw a water fountain sign reading, "Whites Only"...you might say, "This is 2017, right? It's not 1957?"

The reason why it's a meme is because it's not actually an argument.

Certainly it's rhetoric, yes. It's a villification tactic. It's telling those who dissent that they are villains for having their opinion, without actually arguing for it.

"Those who dissent", eh?

If that's how you want to look at it.

I say all people are equal. So does almost everyone born after the Civil Rights Movement.

But White Supremacists say that we had it right back in the 1950s when all people weren't equal. If I meet someone who still says that whites are the superior race and I tell him, "um, dude it's 2017", I'm not vilifying him. I'm reminding him that it hasn't been remotely okay to hold that viewpoint since before we were born, and he should probably take a good hard look at why he still thinks the view from our grandparents' generation is still okay to voice in public.

If I was vilifying him, I'd just call him a Nazi or a member of the KKK.

But really, what the "it's 2017, people!" is used to express is outrage that things we thought were relics of the past, such as cross-burning in yards, or telling women that they should stay in the kitchen, is still going on.

So what you're really doing is creating a caricature out of John Oliver and minimizing what he says because you don't like the fact that your arguments occasionally fall on the "it's not 1952 anymore" side of discussions.

Call it dissent if you want. I call it failure to learn.

"Theology made no provision for evolution. The biblical authors had missed the most important revelation of all! Could it be that they were not really privy to the thoughts of God?" - E. O. Wilson
[+] 2 users Like RocketSurgeon76's post
15-01-2017, 04:41 PM
Megyn Kelly is moving from Fox to NBC
(15-01-2017 04:08 PM)The Organic Chemist Wrote:  
(15-01-2017 01:42 PM)SYZ Wrote:  D'ya reckon she'd be a spitter or a swallower?

...sorry

I am more curious about 5th base.

I'll take 4th base if you want 5th. Just don't bump my balls.
[+] 1 user Likes KUSA's post
15-01-2017, 06:52 PM
(15-01-2017 04:19 PM)RocketSurgeon76 Wrote:  
(15-01-2017 01:49 PM)Gilgamesh Wrote:  The reason why it's a meme is because it's not actually an argument.

Certainly it's rhetoric, yes. It's a villification tactic. It's telling those who dissent that they are villains for having their opinion, without actually arguing for it.

"Those who dissent", eh?

If that's how you want to look at it.

I say all people are equal. So does almost everyone born after the Civil Rights Movement.

But White Supremacists say that we had it right back in the 1950s when all people weren't equal. If I meet someone who still says that whites are the superior race and I tell him, "um, dude it's 2017", I'm not vilifying him. I'm reminding him that it hasn't been remotely okay to hold that viewpoint since before we were born, and he should probably take a good hard look at why he still thinks the view from our grandparents' generation is still okay to voice in public.

If I was vilifying him, I'd just call him a Nazi or a member of the KKK.

But really, what the "it's 2017, people!" is used to express is outrage that things we thought were relics of the past, such as cross-burning in yards, or telling women that they should stay in the kitchen, is still going on.

So what you're really doing is creating a caricature out of John Oliver and minimizing what he says because you don't like the fact that your arguments occasionally fall on the "it's not 1952 anymore" side of discussions.

Call it dissent if you want. I call it failure to learn.

Gilgamesh is too stupid to form coherent arguments against the bulk of what is said on that show so he instead relies on a meme of an oft retorted expression of exasperation by the host. Doing so does not negate the argument it ignores them and declares itself the winner. Much like the pigeon on the chessboard.

(31-07-2014 04:37 PM)Luminon Wrote:  America is full of guns, but they're useless, because nobody has the courage to shoot an IRS agent in self-defense
15-01-2017, 07:47 PM
(15-01-2017 04:19 PM)RocketSurgeon76 Wrote:  I say all people are equal. So does almost everyone born after the Civil Rights Movement.

Me, too.

Quote:But White Supremacists say that we had it right back in the 1950s when all people weren't equal. If I meet someone who still says that whites are the superior race and I tell him, "um, dude it's 2017", I'm not vilifying him. I'm reminding him that it hasn't been remotely okay to hold that viewpoint since before we were born, and he should probably take a good hard look at why he still thinks the view from our grandparents' generation is still okay to voice in public.

>not vilifying him
>telling him he's not okay.

You're a fucking dumbass that just can't admit when he's wrong.

Quote:But really, what the "it's 2017, people!" is used to express is outrage that things we thought were relics of the past, such as cross-burning in yards, or telling women that they should stay in the kitchen, is still going on.

Um, I fucking know that, stupid fuck. Yes, you're drawing a parallel between someone you're arguing with present day and outdated beliefs of back-in-the day... in order to vilify him/her. That's exactly what I'm saying, stupid fuck.

God-fucking-damn you are a stupid fuck.
15-01-2017, 08:38 PM
(15-01-2017 04:41 PM)KUSA Wrote:  
(15-01-2017 04:08 PM)The Organic Chemist Wrote:  I am more curious about 5th base.

I'll take 4th base if you want 5th. Just don't bump my balls.

Deal.

"If we are honest—and scientists have to be—we must admit that religion is a jumble of false assertions, with no basis in reality.
The very idea of God is a product of the human imagination."
- Paul Dirac
[+] 1 user Likes The Organic Chemist's post
15-01-2017, 08:51 PM
(15-01-2017 06:52 PM)Revenant77x Wrote:  Gilgamesh is too stupid to form coherent arguments against the bulk of what is said on that show so he instead relies on a meme of an oft retorted expression of exasperation by the host. Doing so does not negate the argument it ignores them and declares itself the winner. Much like the pigeon on the chessboard.

Yes... I was going to argue that I don't think it's as bad as you say, but now I see your point.

"Theology made no provision for evolution. The biblical authors had missed the most important revelation of all! Could it be that they were not really privy to the thoughts of God?" - E. O. Wilson
[+] 2 users Like RocketSurgeon76's post
16-01-2017, 11:38 AM
(15-01-2017 07:47 PM)Gilgamesh Wrote:  You're a fucking dumbass that just can't admit when he's wrong...

Um, I fucking know that, stupid fuck. Yes, you're drawing a parallel between someone you're arguing with present day and outdated beliefs of back-in-the day in order to vilify him/her.

That's exactly what I'm saying, stupid fuck...

Uh... you appear to be having some difficulty articulating your ideas on this forum. Or are the majority of your arguments [sic] intentionally meant to be nothing more than puerile ad hominems?

You're probably unaware of it, but your foul-mouthed petulance makes you sound like a naughty little kid who's been sent to his room by his parents... oh... wait...

I'm a creationist... I believe that man created God.
16-01-2017, 01:35 PM
(16-01-2017 11:38 AM)SYZ Wrote:  
(15-01-2017 07:47 PM)Gilgamesh Wrote:  You're a fucking dumbass that just can't admit when he's wrong...

Um, I fucking know that, stupid fuck. Yes, you're drawing a parallel between someone you're arguing with present day and outdated beliefs of back-in-the day in order to vilify him/her.

That's exactly what I'm saying, stupid fuck...

Uh... you appear to be having some difficulty articulating your ideas on this forum. Or are the majority of your arguments [sic] intentionally meant to be nothing more than puerile ad hominems?

You're probably unaware of it, but your foul-mouthed petulance makes you sound like a naughty little kid who's been sent to his room by his parents... oh... wait...

Go tone troll somewhere else dumbass.
16-01-2017, 05:29 PM
(16-01-2017 01:35 PM)Gilgamesh Wrote:  
(16-01-2017 11:38 AM)SYZ Wrote:  Uh... you appear to be having some difficulty articulating your ideas on this forum. Or are the majority of your arguments [sic] intentionally meant to be nothing more than puerile ad hominems?

Go tone troll somewhere else dumbass.

You have no substance; all you have is tone.

Skepticism is not a position; it is an approach to claims.
Science is not a subject, but a method.
[Image: flagstiny%206.gif]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user