Megyn Kelly is moving from Fox to NBC

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
16-01-2017, 09:37 PM
RE: Megyn Kelly is moving from Fox to NBC
Actually, in your example it's not a settled social issue, so it's a bunk counter argument. It would make no sense to say, "It's 2017!" when that issue is still being hotly debated.

However, given that there's a long legal precedent for the 1st amendment covering the right to bodily integrity, I might well react to a Pro-Lifer who stated that women lose their right to bodily integrity upon becoming pregnant and are "naturally meant to be mothers", as it would fly in the face of decades of both solid legal precedent and changing ideas about the role of women in our society.

If they wished to make other arguments, the phrase becomes useless... it's only useful for reacting to ideas that one thought had "gone the way of the dodo" and yet reemerged like a Necropost.

"Theology made no provision for evolution. The biblical authors had missed the most important revelation of all! Could it be that they were not really privy to the thoughts of God?" - E. O. Wilson
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
16-01-2017, 09:40 PM
Forgive my typos, everyone, please. My power is out and I'm fighting with my phone's keyboard and my wishy-washy Autocorrect.

"Theology made no provision for evolution. The biblical authors had missed the most important revelation of all! Could it be that they were not really privy to the thoughts of God?" - E. O. Wilson
16-01-2017, 09:48 PM
As long as you agree that in fact "CMON ITS -INSERT YEAR-" doesn't negate an opposing position, then we are in agreeance. I'm sure you're not going to argue that it does.
16-01-2017, 09:55 PM
(16-01-2017 09:48 PM)Gilgamesh Wrote:  As long as you agree that in fact "CMON ITS -INSERT YEAR-" doesn't negate an opposing position, then we are in agreeance. I'm sure you're not going to argue that it does.

[Image: 933.jpg]
16-01-2017, 09:56 PM
[Image: f7e.png]

They're just too good.
16-01-2017, 10:07 PM
It doesn't negate anything.

It expressed [edit: as in "used to express"] outrage that things almost literally anyone outside of fringe lunatics (in my specific example, Klansmen) recognizes as a settled issue is still popping up as if this was a time decades in the past.

If an idea can be made to seem primitive, it may well be that it is.

And calling names along with splattering invective because you find yourself on the wrong side of history doesn't negate the usefulness of "It's Current Year!" for highlighting such primitive ideas being promoted.

In other words, the phrase doesn't even work for the target audience unless it's one of those "how did you guys pull this idea out of the dustbin of history?" ideas being mocked.

Otherwise, liberals prefer to argue about it. A good definition of liberalism once given by Emerson (I think) was that a liberal was someone too broadminded to take his own position in an argument. So if we're not bothering to make an argument, it's because we don't consider the position legitimate enough to argue against...rather like the way Creationists are so pissy about the fact that "Darwinists" won't debate them, since evolutionary biology hasn't been a serious argument for a century, and even fighting with Creationists in the subject lends their position undeserved pseudo-legitimacy.

If faced with a Creationist whining about the refusal of scientists to debate them, I might even point out that it's not 1921 (year of Scopes Monkey Trial) anymore but is in fact 2017.

[+] 1 user Likes RocketSurgeon76's post
16-01-2017, 11:22 PM
(16-01-2017 10:07 PM)RocketSurgeon76 Wrote:  It doesn't negate anything.

It expressed [edit: as in "used to express"] outrage that things almost literally anyone outside of fringe lunatics (in my specific example, Klansmen) recognizes as a settled issue is still popping up as if this was a time decades in the past.

If an idea can be made to seem primitive, it may well be that it is.

And calling names along with splattering invective because you find yourself on the wrong side of history doesn't negate the usefulness of "It's Current Year!" for highlighting such primitive ideas being promoted.

In other words, the phrase doesn't even work for the target audience unless it's one of those "how did you guys pull this idea out of the dustbin of history?" ideas being mocked.

Otherwise, liberals prefer to argue about it. A good definition of liberalism once given by Emerson (I think) was that a liberal was someone too broadminded to take his own position in an argument. So if we're not bothering to make an argument, it's because we don't consider the position legitimate enough to argue against...rather like the way Creationists are so pissy about the fact that "Darwinists" won't debate them, since evolutionary biology hasn't been a serious argument for a century, and even fighting with Creationists in the subject lends their position undeserved pseudo-legitimacy.

If faced with a Creationist whining about the refusal of scientists to debate them, I might even point out that it's not 1921 (year of Scopes Monkey Trial) anymore but is in fact 2017.

If you can imagine a world in which someone uses the "it's -insert year- for chrissakes" rhetoric in reply to a position that is perfectly reasonable, then you can understand why it has become a meme.
16-01-2017, 11:36 PM
Got an example, yet?

16-01-2017, 11:52 PM
(16-01-2017 11:36 PM)RocketSurgeon76 Wrote:  Got an example, yet?

People think necrophelia is wrong? CMON ITS 2017. TWENTY SEVENTEEN I MEEN CMON WTF GUYS CMON.

There I'm my own example.
17-01-2017, 01:38 AM
Ironically NOT an example of how the phrase is used, even when you're inventing one. Classy.