Melons....

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
26-01-2014, 01:36 PM
RE: Melons....
It occurred to me that some people have never even seen hydroponics done this way, so I figured showing some bare bones basics couldn't hurt.

Sorry if these get boring. I'll try to keep them as short as possible.

You have just begun reading the sentence you have just finished reading.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 2 users Like Stark Raving's post
26-01-2014, 01:43 PM
I love that your doing short lil videos of the process, can't wait to see what's next!! Thumbsup Big Grin
26-01-2014, 01:52 PM
Lol, and I'll probably rack up a grand total of six viewers!

[+] 1 user Likes Stark Raving's post
26-01-2014, 01:57 PM
Well I know I'll be one!! Yes the length of the videos appeals to my short attention span, plus the content is fascinating lol a great combination
26-01-2014, 04:31 PM
Added a vid showing the weather outside, just to give a bit of context. It really does feel like I have this chunk of summer locked away in my basement.

[+] 1 user Likes Stark Raving's post
26-01-2014, 04:39 PM
(26-01-2014 04:31 PM)Stark Raving Wrote:  Added a vid showing the weather outside, just to give a bit of context. It really does feel like I have this chunk of summer locked away in my basement.

Looks a bit chilly out there!

Onward, my faithful steed!
[Image: ezgif-save_zps4d93a674.gif?t=1395781443]
26-01-2014, 05:06 PM
(26-01-2014 04:31 PM)Stark Raving Wrote:  It really does feel like I have this chunk of summer locked away in my basement.

Reminded me of this song:

Skepticism is not a position; it is an approach to claims.
Science is not a subject, but a method.
[Image: flagstiny%206.gif]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
27-01-2014, 06:38 PM
Hey stark,i want to try this setup.
But can you explain why the air pump is needed?
Why does the nutrient solution need to be earated?
And why should oxygen go to the roots? If i followed my bio classes corectly,plants get their oxygen and CO2 via their leafs or something?

You seem like the right person to ask

KC IS A LIAR!!!! HE PROMISED ME VANILLA CAKES AND GAVE ME STRAWBERRY CAKE Weeping
27-01-2014, 06:47 PM
Good choice with DWC. It is a great introduction to hydroponics because it's so forgiving.

Root need oxygen. In fact, it is quite easy to drown a plant. With hydroponics, it's even more important for good oxygenation since we need to encourage our enzymes to grow and keep all that bacteria in check.

27-01-2014, 09:35 PM
(25-01-2014 06:13 PM)Stark Raving Wrote:  No. They just never seem to taste right. Plus, seedless are hybrids, so I'd always have to buy seeds instead of keeping my own.

No to mention, spitting out the seeds is part of the Watermelon Experience. Wink

As a kid we always ate watermelon on the front porch. I'd always spit my seeds in the flower garden and hope for the best. Got plants several times, but they only ever actually produced more watermelons one year. ~8 year old me was so proud. Big Grin

Last summer I tried my hand and properly growing my own watermelons for the first time. I had a couple of melons going...until my uncle ran them over with his tractor Dodgy Let me know how your experiment goes. I wasn't able to commit my bandwidth your video on my satellite connection, and maybe I missed it in the text, but whatchu going for? That is, what melons, just watermelons or a variety? If your experiment goes well I may commit to trying to get a couple of plants going if I can find the time to make the set up. I know nothing about hydroponics, but I must admit, I am curious. The wife loves mushmelons, and while I like 'em, I'd prefer a nice salty watermelon or honeydew.