Melons....

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
27-01-2014, 11:06 PM
RE: Melons....
DL, my original watermelons were Sugar Baby. I saved seeds from that year, and the following year the watermelons were way different. (Obviously hybrid seeds, and also likely pollinated from different melons in the area) Since then I've just saved the seeds from the best watermelons of the season, and they have pretty much stabilized and now my seeds are pretty predictable. Small to medium size, deep red, sweet, and crisp.

The two cantaloupes are similar. One is a smaller, super sweet, with a very dark orange flesh. The other is bigger, lighter, and not so powerful.

My "Brazil Melon" is just that. A sweet melon from Brazil. No idea what it' scaled, but it' similar to honeydew, but crazy juicy. It's almost weird how much juice these things hold.

Just visiting.

-SR
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
27-01-2014, 11:28 PM
(25-01-2014 03:38 PM)WeAreTheCosmos Wrote:  Watermelon is always refreshing
Cantaloupe I could certainly do without
Honeydew is tasty

[Image: melons_new_280_528554a.jpg]

I came here for boobs. I was not disappointed.

The constant assertion of belief is an indication of fear."
~Jiddu Krishnamurti
[+] 1 user Likes Im_Ryan's post
27-01-2014, 11:44 PM
(27-01-2014 11:06 PM)Stark Raving Wrote:  DL, my original watermelons were Sugar Baby. I saved seeds from that year, and the following year the watermelons were way different. (Obviously hybrid seeds, and also likely pollinated from different melons in the area) Since then I've just saved the seeds from the best watermelons of the season, and they have pretty much stabilized and now my seeds are pretty predictable. Small to medium size, deep red, sweet, and crisp.

The two cantaloupes are similar. One is a smaller, super sweet, with a very dark orange flesh. The other is bigger, lighter, and not so powerful.

My "Brazil Melon" is just that. A sweet melon from Brazil. No idea what it' scaled, but it' similar to honeydew, but crazy juicy. It's almost weird how much juice these things hold.

Sugar Baby is the way to go, nice choice. When I was a kid that's what my family usually grew, and it's always been my favorite. Unfortunately the soil that I have set aside for my garden isn't drained well enough to have consistently good crops. The sugar baby is finicky about it's water intake from my families experiences. To much rain and they go to pot.

28-01-2014, 12:01 AM
(27-01-2014 11:44 PM)Dark Light Wrote:  
(27-01-2014 11:06 PM)Stark Raving Wrote:  DL, my original watermelons were Sugar Baby. I saved seeds from that year, and the following year the watermelons were way different. (Obviously hybrid seeds, and also likely pollinated from different melons in the area) Since then I've just saved the seeds from the best watermelons of the season, and they have pretty much stabilized and now my seeds are pretty predictable. Small to medium size, deep red, sweet, and crisp.

Sugar Baby is the way to go, nice choice. When I was a kid that's what my family usually grew, and it's always been my favorite. Unfortunately the soil that I have set aside for my garden isn't drained well enough to have consistently good crops. The sugar baby is finicky about it's water intake from my families experiences. To much rain and they go to pot.

Try a raised bed. Just a four foot by four foot box built with 2X6 lumber. Just be sure to water if it's a dry spell. Ain't no drainage problem a raised bed can't fix. Thumbsup

Just visiting.

-SR
28-01-2014, 12:01 AM

Just visiting.

-SR
[+] 2 users Like Stark Raving's post
28-01-2014, 01:39 AM
Oops. Double post.

Just visiting.

-SR
28-01-2014, 01:56 PM
(28-01-2014 12:01 AM)Stark Raving Wrote:  
(27-01-2014 11:44 PM)Dark Light Wrote:  Sugar Baby is the way to go, nice choice. When I was a kid that's what my family usually grew, and it's always been my favorite. Unfortunately the soil that I have set aside for my garden isn't drained well enough to have consistently good crops. The sugar baby is finicky about it's water intake from my families experiences. To much rain and they go to pot.

Try a raised bed. Just a four foot by four foot box built with 2X6 lumber. Just be sure to water if it's a dry spell. Ain't no drainage problem a raised bed can't fix. Thumbsup

My garden is on a hillside. Water runs down toward the creek. A raised bed could work, not sure. I have no experience with raised beds whatsoever.

28-01-2014, 02:41 PM
(28-01-2014 01:56 PM)Dark Light Wrote:  
(28-01-2014 12:01 AM)Stark Raving Wrote:  Try a raised bed. Just a four foot by four foot box built with 2X6 lumber. Just be sure to water if it's a dry spell. Ain't no drainage problem a raised bed can't fix. Thumbsup

My garden is on a hillside. Water runs down toward the creek. A raised bed could work, not sure. I have no experience with raised beds whatsoever.

Perfect. Build the bed into the side of the hill so that you create a level planting spot. At it's lowest point, the bed should still be raised above ground level by four or more inches. The height of the front will depend on the slope of your hill.

Pro tip: build the box so the you can cover it with an old window to create a cold frame. Basically a mini green house that will allow you to warm the soil and plant earlier with very little effort.

Just visiting.

-SR
28-01-2014, 03:05 PM
Something along the lines of....

[Image: 1-Raised-Beds-1-of-1.jpg]

Just visiting.

-SR
28-01-2014, 03:14 PM
Ah thanks for explaining it stark. Now i just need a water pump and nutrients

KC IS A LIAR!!!! HE PROMISED ME VANILLA CAKES AND GAVE ME STRAWBERRY CAKE Weeping