Memorial Tree Park for cremationists.

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
28-01-2016, 10:17 AM
Memorial Tree Park for cremationists.
I think I want to build a Memorial Tree Park for people who want to be cremated and used as fertilizer for growing a tree. Like a cemetery for cremationists that's also a useful and enjoyable park.

I have always wanted to be cremated when I die (always felt being buried was just taking up space for the living) and some years ago I saw exactly what I wanted, a bio urn. The bio urns are urns made out of biodegradable paper pulp that have a guaranteed viable tree seed and the crematorium puts your ashes in it with the seed and then you plant it. (My family, including my grandsons, think this is a cool idea too.)

The problem with just going out and planting it anywhere is if you plant grandma at your house, what if you have to move. If you sell, someone else might cut it down. If you go to a forest, that might happen as well and if you go to a national preserve it's illegal to do that without permission and that is very doubtful.

But what if... in stead of a cemetery, there was a park where you could take your loved ones remains, have their urn buried with a small plaque giving their name and some words of remembrance, no symbols or logos (no crosses or jesus statues) just words, even a small ceremony if you wanted and... it's also park with trails for walkers, bike riders, open areas for kids play and maybe a small lake. The only difference is the trees are planted for a memorial. The trees would never be cut down unless they died.

It would be a respectful and a useful space.

What do you think?

[Image: dnw9krH.jpg?4]
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 5 users Like Heatheness's post
28-01-2016, 10:24 AM
RE: Memorial Tree Park for cremationists.
I don't think it's possible to guarantee that a seed will sprout - just that it's viable. There are a lot of things that will prevent a viable seed from sprouting, or subsequently thriving.

You would be better off with the ash in the biodegradable container and putting that in a hole and planting a young tree on top.

[Image: dobie.png]Science is the process we've designed to be responsible for generating our best guess as to what the fuck is going on. Girly Man
[+] 2 users Like Dom's post
28-01-2016, 10:25 AM
(28-01-2016 10:24 AM)Dom Wrote:  I don't think it's possible to guarantee that a seed will sprout - just that it's viable. There are a lot of things that will prevent a viable seed from sprouting, or subsequently thriving.

You would be better off with the ash in the biodegradable container and putting that in a hole and planting a young tree on top.

That is a good idea. Smile

28-01-2016, 10:31 AM
Also, you will want to get in touch with the local master Gardeners and find out what trees will grow best on whatever SPECIFIC land you want to use. It depends on temps, soil composition, sun exposure, windiness and such. A Master Gardener will tell you which trees will thrive best after examining the location. Everyone is going to want their tree to be there when they return...

[Image: dobie.png]Science is the process we've designed to be responsible for generating our best guess as to what the fuck is going on. Girly Man
[+] 2 users Like Dom's post
28-01-2016, 10:32 AM
Love this!
[+] 1 user Likes jennybee's post
28-01-2016, 10:33 AM
I took my mothers ashes and sprinkled them on the Bearded Purple Irises in our front yard. Does that count? The flowers are beeeeeautiful! And they've multiplied like crazy so I've given them away to people. My daughters want some of the irises when they move away on their own. Thanks Mom!

Shakespeare's Comedy of Errors.... on Donald J. Trump:

He is deformed, crooked, old, and sere,
Ill-fac’d, worse bodied, shapeless every where;
Vicious, ungentle, foolish, blunt, unkind,
Stigmatical in making, worse in mind.
[+] 2 users Like dancefortwo's post
28-01-2016, 10:36 AM
Is a cremationist somebody who believes in cremation?

Why cremate at all? Wouldn't the full body be better?
http://www.greenburials.org/

Atheism: it's not just for communists any more!
America July 4 1776 - November 8 2016 RIP
[+] 2 users Like unfogged's post
28-01-2016, 10:49 AM
(28-01-2016 10:33 AM)dancefortwo Wrote:  I took my mothers ashes and sprinkled them on the Bearded Purple Irises in our front yard. Does that count? The flowers are beeeeeautiful! And they've multiplied like crazy so I've given them away to people. My daughters want some of the irises when they move away on their own. Thanks Mom!

How wonderful! Sharing the love. Very cool!

Many years ago my husband's great aunt died, he'd only met her a couple of times but he was left some substantial money in her will. It coincided with us buying some land in the country to build a house on and it came in handy for some of the bigger expenses. I felt we should memorialize her, since her gift helped make our dream come true. I recommended we plant a tree in her honor. My husband agreed and the kids loved the idea.

I picked out a Twisted Willow and we planted it in the front yard. It's still there, gives tons of shade and the hummingbirds fill it up every spring with their tiny nests. Planting a tree in memoriam is an old tradition and good one.

28-01-2016, 11:00 AM
Great idea ... but

you better check with your county before you use a lot of time on this. Many have strict regs about what happens with remains. Some even require "vaults" for cremated remains. Facepalm

We actually have a family one of these, but I doubt it complies with any regs in the county here. So we shut up about it. If you're going public, check it out first.

Insufferable know-it-all.Einstein God has a plan for us. Please stop screwing it up with your prayers.
[+] 1 user Likes Bucky Ball's post
28-01-2016, 11:09 AM
(28-01-2016 11:00 AM)Bucky Ball Wrote:  Great idea ... but

you better check with your county before you use a lot of time on this. Many have strict regs about what happens with remains. Some even require "vaults" for cremated remains. Facepalm

We actually have a family one of these, but I doubt it complies with any regs in the county here. So we shut up about it. If you're going public, check it out first.

Oh yes, I would. It would require permits and such. We don't have cremated remains regulations other than the regular laws against trespassing and such. Actually, in Oklahoma you can still bury a body not embalmed. You just have to do it within a few days of death, I think it's like 4 or 6 days, not sure.

Anyway, I would do the legalities first and foremost. Now I need to set up a Go Fund Me account to get my start-up money for my new business.