Memorizing All the Physics Formulas

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
11-08-2016, 04:45 PM
Memorizing All the Physics Formulas

So, I have been studying physics in hopes that one day I can get a Ph. D in Physics (Psychology as well). Is it actually possible to memorize every formula in physics? Granted I doubt I could do it seeing as how my I.Q is below 100 as far as I know.

Rikyuism the Goddess of Science
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
11-08-2016, 05:04 PM
RE: Memorizing All the Physics Formulas
(11-08-2016 04:45 PM)BlackWolf Wrote:  
So, I have been studying physics in hopes that one day I can get a Ph. D in Physics (Psychology as well). Is it actually possible to memorize every formula in physics? Granted I doubt I could do it seeing as how my I.Q is below 100 as far as I know.

When you solve your equations, write out each formula needed to work out the problem along with the name of that formula. You can also write them in different colors or ring them in rectangles or ovals or cloud shapes to categorize them. No matter how tedious it is, keep doing it until you have the formulas memorized.

I still don't have them memorized long term, but this seems to help for tests and stuff if I'm not allowed to use a formula sheet.
[+] 3 users Like Aliza's post
11-08-2016, 05:15 PM
Yeah, I have a few of the basic formulas taped to my bedroom wall. I want to try and remember the basic ones used the most in life, but it is hard to recall them sometimes as I am trying to learn not only Physics, but Psychology, Calculus, Chemistry, and a bunch of other things.

11-08-2016, 05:37 PM
(11-08-2016 05:15 PM)BlackWolf Wrote:  Yeah, I have a few of the basic formulas taped to my bedroom wall. I want to try and remember the basic ones used the most in life, but it is hard to recall them sometimes as I am trying to learn not only Physics, but Psychology, Calculus, Chemistry, and a bunch of other things.

With the exception of psychology, the other courses you mentioned are prerequisites for a physics degree. You may also need differential equations for your undergrad program as well.

There are a ton of formulas to memorize in these classes. I use colors and shapes to organize my formulas, but you'll need to work out a way that works with your own personal learning style.
11-08-2016, 06:05 PM
Seems to me that memorizing all physics formulae would be like memorizing the Periodic Table. Why do it? As a hobby, OK, but what practical value could it have? When I took Physics, you were allowed to consult all the formulae you could write onto a 5x7 note card.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using Tapatalk
11-08-2016, 06:09 PM
(11-08-2016 06:05 PM)jabeady Wrote:  Seems to me that memorizing all physics formulae would be like memorizing the Periodic Table. Why do it? As a hobby, OK, but what practical value could it have? When I took Physics, you were allowed to consult all the formulae you could write onto a 5x7 note card.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using Tapatalk

Yeah, but the formula sheet isn't a given in every class. I also strive to memorize as much as I can so I have as much familiarity with the formulas as I can.
11-08-2016, 06:22 PM
I am mainly trying to memorize them just because I have nothing better to do at the moment. I am not in college so I have plenty of free time. I do hope to get my G.E.D one day and get up the money to go to college so I can get those degrees, not only to make my mom proud but so I can feel like I did something meaningful in my life beside drinking coca-cola and watching anime. (Not that anime is bad.)

11-08-2016, 06:44 PM
If you can find various problems that involve the formulas, you can solve those repeatedly to get a better idea of how to do the formulas.
[+] 2 users Like GenesisNemesis's post
11-08-2016, 07:42 PM
You could try a memory palace.

Truth seeker.
11-08-2016, 07:46 PM
I have never found the memory palace technique to help me.