Memory

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
15-03-2015, 12:17 AM
Memory
I have talked with people about this before and almost everyone says my memory goes back way farther than theirs. A good example is that I have a fairly clear memory of feeling frustrated that I didn't know enough words to make myself understood. I've also clearly relayed memories to my parents from my childhood as early as three years old.

How far back does your memory go? What's your earliest memory? Do you find your early memory fading as you age?

So many cats, so few good recipes.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
15-03-2015, 12:30 AM
RE: Memory
(15-03-2015 12:17 AM)Stark Raving Wrote:  I have talked with people about this before and almost everyone says my memory goes back way farther than theirs. A good example is that I have a fairly clear memory of feeling frustrated that I didn't know enough words to make myself understood. I've also clearly relayed memories to my parents from my childhood as early as three years old.

How far back does your memory go? What's your earliest memory? Do you find your early memory fading as you age?

My clearest memory is of me wearing my pretty red velvet dress with matching coat, with my mom into a pet store on Mission Street in San Francisco. They had a roped off area with an Orangutan that was for sale in a cage. It reached through the cage passed the roped area and grabbed my coat, and freaked me out. My mom hit it on the hand with her hand and it let go. There was a sign that did say "do not touch" with a bite thingy....funny I remember I didn't know what the sign said, but I can see it clearly today in my mind. Smile

Now my mom couldn't walk unaided from the time I was four. The dress (I still have it) looks to me around 2 years. So I know pretty much that I had to be between two and three.

It's the only memory I have of doing something with my mom where it was just us.

But as if to knock me down, reality came around
And without so much as a mere touch, cut me into little pieces

[+] 2 users Like Momsurroundedbyboys's post
15-03-2015, 12:53 AM
My memory is not very good anymore.
I have one from early childhood, (2-3) about being chased by cars in a dream. I don't know now if it was a real dream or some cartoon I watched. It's fuzzy now.
[+] 1 user Likes pablo's post
15-03-2015, 01:47 AM
hmmmmmm

now why did I come in here????

(mumble)...

The difference between prayer and masturbation - is when a guy is through masturbating - he has something to show for his efforts.
[+] 7 users Like onlinebiker's post
15-03-2015, 02:07 AM
I have vivid memories from just over one year old - I can still smell the coffee table and feel the texture as I remember clutching for balance while learning to walk.

Can't remember why I went to the kitchen half hour ago though... Sad

I Think; Therefore I Am....
...or is it the other way around?
[Image: b.gif]
Bunny's Blog
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 5 users Like costabunny's post
15-03-2015, 03:29 AM
I remember visiting my grandpa in the hospital after he had a severe stroke which he didn't recover from. I remember being in my mom's arms looking down at him - when I was 2.

I actually remember more early experiences as I get older. It's the short term memory that suffers - now, where are my glasses? Tongue

[Image: dobie.png]Science is the process we've designed to be responsible for generating our best guess as to what the fuck is going on. Girly Man
[+] 1 user Likes Dom's post
15-03-2015, 04:17 AM
Moving house.

I remember being picked up by a strange man (ooh-er!) and plonked / seated on an L-shaped drawer/wardrobe thing.

I recalled this memory to my mother some years back and she said there's no way that's a real memory because I was just under 2 when we moved.

She's probably right as received memory is a thing but damn I remember that moment so vividly.

Other than that, going to infant school at the age of 4, a kiss-and-don't-tell / I'll show you mine etc. session with Wendy Becker behind the shrubbery by the school wall etc. etc.

It makes sense to me that the non-normal, dramatic, traumatic, big change moments are going to be stored away even if our brains reshape them somewhat.

I still miss Wendy sometimes.

Unsure

[+] 3 users Like DLJ's post
15-03-2015, 04:32 AM
I can remember, although not that clearly, when I was in a stroller, in my town's square. And I remember two women approaching to see me, as people usually to with little babies changing their voice to high pitches and stuff. I don't remember their voices but, I was already a heartbreaker. Wink

Tongue

孤独 - The Out Crowd
Life is a flash of light between two eternities of darkness.
[Image: Schermata%202014-10-24%20alle%2012.39.01.png]
[+] 1 user Likes The Polyglot Atheist's post
15-03-2015, 08:29 AM
It's funny because I just talked about this two nights ago. I remember being changed on the changing table in my parents' bedroom. I described the entire room to my mother and where it was etc. She said I was spot-on correct and that I had to be remembering it from an age of about 18 months because they moved out of that room and into the upstairs before I was 2. I'll never forget that memory, and it could be even younger since they changed me in that specific location from birth until 18 months.

Check out my now-defunct atheism blog. It's just a blog, no ads, no revenue, no gods.
----
Atheism promotes critical thinking; theism promotes hypocritical thinking. -- Me
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 1 user Likes WillHopp's post
15-03-2015, 08:40 AM
I remember sneaking into the pantry to steal sugar, grabbed the salt instead and dumped it down my throat. I was maybe 3 or 4?

“I am quite sure now that often, very often, in matters concerning religion and politics a man’s reasoning powers are not above the monkey’s.”~Mark Twain
“Ocean: A body of water occupying about two-thirds of a world made for man - who has no gills.”~ Ambrose Bierce
[+] 2 users Like Full Circle's post