17-01-2015, 07:34 PM
RE: Memory Foam
My mattress has Alzheimer's.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 6 users Like pablo's post
17-01-2015, 09:10 PM
I actually dislike memory foam. It's like I've been put into a pot of goo and can't move around. I slept in one and the next day I felt as if I'd been beat up by a heavyweight boxing champ.

I like my mattresses firm ....................................along with other things.

Shakespeare's Comedy of Errors.... on Donald J. Trump:

He is deformed, crooked, old, and sere,
Ill-fac’d, worse bodied, shapeless every where;
Vicious, ungentle, foolish, blunt, unkind,
Stigmatical in making, worse in mind.
17-01-2015, 09:13 PM
(17-01-2015 09:10 PM)dancefortwo Wrote:  I actually dislike memory foam. It's like I've been put into a pot of goo and can't move around. I slept in one and the next day I felt as if I'd been beat up by a heavyweight boxing champ.

I like my mattresses firm ....................................along with other things.

I have a firm

mattress. Consider

Skepticism is not a position; it is an approach to claims.
Science is not a subject, but a method.
[Image: flagstiny%206.gif]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
17-01-2015, 11:35 PM
(17-01-2015 09:10 PM)dancefortwo Wrote:  I actually dislike memory foam. It's like I've been put into a pot of goo and can't move around. I slept in one and the next day I felt as if I'd been beat up by a heavyweight boxing champ.

I know what you mean...

However, as with most things; moderation is best. I've slept on a bed with solid 3"+ memory foam and felt like I was sinking into some kind of trap, hinders movement and holds heat in the summer. What I have on my bed now (and REALLY like) is about 1.5" plant based memory foam with eggcrate contouring, it's supportive and pressure distributing without being restrictive to movement. Also, the plant based memory foams don't stink initially or gas off, and have significantly faster spring back rate. So as you move around, the void you leave behind fills back much faster.
[+] 1 user Likes WeAreTheCosmos's post
18-01-2015, 03:18 AM
(17-01-2015 11:35 PM)WeAreTheCosmos Wrote:  

I know what you mean...

However, as with most things; moderation is best. I've slept on a bed with solid 3"+ memory foam and felt like I was sinking into some kind of trap, hinders movement and holds heat in the summer. What I have on my bed now (and REALLY like) is about 1.5" plant based memory foam with eggcrate contouring, it's supportive and pressure distributing without being restrictive to movement. Also, the plant based memory foams don't stink initially or gas off, and have significantly faster spring back rate. So as you move around, the void you leave behind fills back much faster.

+1 on that. A hybrid mattress give you the option of having firm support without the "quicksand" effect and allows for ventilation which is essential in summer.

I would never go back to full memory foam: it's great at first but the downsides creep up on you eventually.

"I don't mind being wrong...it's a time I get to learn something new..."
Me.
N.B: I routinely make edits to posts to correct grammar or spelling, or to restate a point more clearly. I only notify edits if they materially change meaning.
18-01-2015, 04:39 AM
Umm. How about the major downside of no spring action. No to the memory foam.

"If there's a single thing that life teaches us, it's that wishing doesn't make it so." - Lev Grossman
18-01-2015, 05:27 AM (This post was last modified: 18-01-2015 06:29 AM by Dom.)
I love memory foam and I got a memory foam mattress that was actually too firm. They come in many grades. I ended up having to put a thin, soft one on top.

Re, sheets: pay attention to the thread count. the higher the thread count, the more luxurious it feels and the more it costs, too.

Egyptian cotton with a high thread count is the absolute luxury. I invested in a set some 10 years ago and it has barely worn. They do take a couple washes or so after you buy them to become really supple, although they feel great from the start.

Before getting the nice sheets I thought it likely wouldn't make much difference and just got them so I would not have to replace them any time soon. But, alas, they are heaven.

[Image: dobie.png]Science is the process we've designed to be responsible for generating our best guess as to what the fuck is going on. Girly Man
[+] 1 user Likes Dom's post
18-01-2015, 07:59 AM
(17-01-2015 06:46 PM)WeAreTheCosmos Wrote:  Did you air it out for a few days?

Now go upgrade your sheets.

We spend like 1/3 of our life in bed, might as well make it worth it.

Quoted for truth. I can't sleep on cheap sheets anymore.

I was sleeping on a thick pallet type mattress from IKEA before the break up and had terrible pain in one shoulder. For three weeks after, I lived with another friend who had ordered memory foam type mattresses from Amazon. The pain went away. As soon as it came time for me to order my furniture (also from IKEA) I got one of their $400+ mattresses with memory foam on it. I haven't regretted it since. No more shoulder pain.

In the depths of winter, I finally learned that within me there lay an invincible summer.
Albert Camus
[+] 1 user Likes thesummerqueen's post
18-01-2015, 08:07 AM
(18-01-2015 05:27 AM)Dom Wrote:  I love memory foam and I got a memory foam mattress that was actually too firm. They come in many grades. I ended up having to put a thin, soft one on top.

Re, sheets: pay attention to the thread count. the higher the thread count, the more luxurious it feels and the more it costs, too.

Egyptian cotton with a high thread count is the absolute luxury. I invested in a set some 10 years ago and it has barely worn. They do take a couple washes or so after you buy them to become really supple, although they feel great from the start.

Before getting the nice sheets I thought it likely wouldn't make much difference and just got them so I would not have to replace them any time soon. But, alas, they are heaven.

Egyptian cotton at a minimum. Pima is better. High thread count is good but beware when getting into the really high 1000 plus counts. You can only fit so many threads into an inch so the really high thread count sheets are using thin threads. This is where the mill comes into play. The good mills can spin a high quality thin thread that make really good high count sheets, but the lower quality mills produce an inferior product. The high thread count sheets made from low quality tend to pill early because the thin threads tend fail after only a short time of use.

Save a life. Adopt a greyhound.

[Image: anigrey.gif]
[+] 2 users Like Popeye's Pappy's post
18-01-2015, 08:10 AM
(18-01-2015 08:07 AM)Popeyes Pappy Wrote:  
(18-01-2015 05:27 AM)Dom Wrote:  I love memory foam and I got a memory foam mattress that was actually too firm. They come in many grades. I ended up having to put a thin, soft one on top.

Egyptian cotton at a minimum. Pima is better. High thread count is good but beware when getting into the really high 1000 plus counts. You can only fit so many threads into an inch so the really high thread count sheets are using thin threads. This is where the mill comes into play. The good mills can spin a high quality thin thread that make really good high count sheets, but the lower quality mills produce an inferior product. The high thread count sheets made from low quality tend to pill early because the thin threads tend fail after only a short time of use.

Good info to have. Thanks.

Mine haven't "pilled" after 10 years, so I suppose I got a good thing.

[Image: dobie.png]Science is the process we've designed to be responsible for generating our best guess as to what the fuck is going on. Girly Man