Memory Foam

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
18-01-2015, 11:06 AM
RE: Memory Foam
(18-01-2015 08:07 AM)Popeyes Pappy Wrote:  
(18-01-2015 05:27 AM)Dom Wrote:  I love memory foam and I got a memory foam mattress that was actually too firm. They come in many grades. I ended up having to put a thin, soft one on top.

Re, sheets: pay attention to the thread count. the higher the thread count, the more luxurious it feels and the more it costs, too.

Egyptian cotton with a high thread count is the absolute luxury. I invested in a set some 10 years ago and it has barely worn. They do take a couple washes or so after you buy them to become really supple, although they feel great from the start.

Before getting the nice sheets I thought it likely wouldn't make much difference and just got them so I would not have to replace them any time soon. But, alas, they are heaven.

Egyptian cotton at a minimum. Pima is better. High thread count is good but beware when getting into the really high 1000 plus counts. You can only fit so many threads into an inch so the really high thread count sheets are using thin threads. This is where the mill comes into play. The good mills can spin a high quality thin thread that make really good high count sheets, but the lower quality mills produce an inferior product. The high thread count sheets made from low quality tend to pill early because the thin threads tend fail after only a short time of use.

Just something else to add:

Thread count can be misleading! An 800 count set using douple ply thread might be comparable to a 400 count set that was using single ply thread. Those tricky bastards will double up the thread, and double up the count, without actually doubling up the work involved.

So just keep an eye out.

Also, material: I prefer egyptian cotton, but I also have a set that is a blend (so they don't wrinkle), and they're fantastic as well. I avoid silk and certain materials that don't breathe well or catch on dry skin (very specifically on toes, euuughhh)
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 1 user Likes WeAreTheCosmos's post
18-01-2015, 11:12 AM
Bamboo sheets are pretty awesome.
[+] 1 user Likes Whimsymum's post
18-01-2015, 12:11 PM
(18-01-2015 11:06 AM)WeAreTheCosmos Wrote:  
(18-01-2015 08:07 AM)Popeyes Pappy Wrote:  Egyptian cotton at a minimum. Pima is better. High thread count is good but beware when getting into the really high 1000 plus counts. You can only fit so many threads into an inch so the really high thread count sheets are using thin threads. This is where the mill comes into play. The good mills can spin a high quality thin thread that make really good high count sheets, but the lower quality mills produce an inferior product. The high thread count sheets made from low quality tend to pill early because the thin threads tend fail after only a short time of use.

Just something else to add:

Thread count can be misleading! An 800 count set using douple ply thread might be comparable to a 400 count set that was using single ply thread. Those tricky bastards will double up the thread, and double up the count, without actually doubling up the work involved.

So just keep an eye out.

Also, material: I prefer egyptian cotton, but I also have a set that is a blend (so they don't wrinkle), and they're fantastic as well. I avoid silk and certain materials that don't breathe well or catch on dry skin (very specifically on toes, euuughhh)

Like dude ... how the fuck do you know all this stuff about sheets??

I haven't a fucking clue lol

How can anyone become an atheist when we are all born with no beliefs in the first place? We are atheists because we were born this way.
[+] 3 users Like Free's post
18-01-2015, 01:36 PM
My mother got us a new mattress for Christmas. Got a little note that said "Pick one out, send me the bill." OK.

She ~happened~ to be going to that store, so I told her what we wanted. Brand, size - everything.

But the saleswoman was buying a Memory Foam thing (at 3 times the cost), so she thought we should have one, too.

H.A.T.E.D. IT.

Sent it back and got what we dammed well asked for in the first place. Ahhhhhhh....

We have enough youth. How about looking for the Fountain of Smart?
18-01-2015, 02:46 PM
(18-01-2015 01:36 PM)Thinkerbelle Wrote:  My mother got us a new mattress for Christmas. Got a little note that said "Pick one out, send me the bill." OK.

She ~happened~ to be going to that store, so I told her what we wanted. Brand, size - everything.

But the saleswoman was buying a Memory Foam thing (at 3 times the cost), so she thought we should have one, too.

H.A.T.E.D. IT.

Sent it back and got what we dammed well asked for in the first place. Ahhhhhhh....

I don't really know why anyone would buy a mattress with built in topper... Can't change that shit if you decide you don't like it. Buying a separate topper of preferred weight and depth is cheaper and can be removed anytime.

My mom bought a fancy mattress for my brother, and he hated it. Of course, it was final sale at a clearance center.
18-01-2015, 02:54 PM
(18-01-2015 02:46 PM)WeAreTheCosmos Wrote:  
(18-01-2015 01:36 PM)Thinkerbelle Wrote:  My mother got us a new mattress for Christmas. Got a little note that said "Pick one out, send me the bill." OK.

H.A.T.E.D. IT.

I don't really know why anyone would buy a mattress with built in topper... Can't change that shit if you decide you don't like it. Buying a separate topper of preferred weight and depth is cheaper and can be removed anytime.

My mom bought a fancy mattress for my brother, and he hated it. Of course, it was final sale at a clearance center.

Wasn't a topper. It was the whole freaking thing. About 10" deep.

We have enough youth. How about looking for the Fountain of Smart?
18-01-2015, 03:29 PM
(18-01-2015 02:46 PM)WeAreTheCosmos Wrote:  

H.A.T.E.D. IT.

The thing about those built in pillow toppers is that you can't flip the mattress over to the other side the way you can with the traditional mattresses so the mattress lasts longer. Every four or five months you were supposed to turn the mattress around, rotate or flip it over so there isn't the same pressure in the same places all the time and a good mattress would then last ten to fifteen years.

But I read that the mattress manufacturers realized that pillow toppers, which cost more, also didn't last as long because you simply can't flip them over and rotate them so you have to go out and buy another mattress in five or six years. They then stopped making so many regular mattress and concentrated on the pillow topper mattresses.

That makes me mad.

Shakespeare's Comedy of Errors.... on Donald J. Trump:

He is deformed, crooked, old, and sere,
Ill-fac’d, worse bodied, shapeless every where;
Vicious, ungentle, foolish, blunt, unkind,
Stigmatical in making, worse in mind.
18-01-2015, 03:51 PM
(18-01-2015 03:29 PM)dancefortwo Wrote:  
(18-01-2015 02:46 PM)WeAreTheCosmos Wrote:  I don't really know why anyone would buy a mattress with built in topper... Can't change that shit if you decide you don't like it. Buying a separate topper of preferred weight and depth is cheaper and can be removed anytime.

The thing about those built in pillow toppers is that you can't flip the mattress over to the other side the way you can with the traditional mattresses so the mattress lasts longer. Every four or five months you were supposed to turn the mattress around, rotate or flip it over so there isn't the same pressure in the same places all the time and a good mattress would then last ten to fifteen years.

But I read that the mattress manufacturers realized that pillow toppers, which cost more, also didn't last as long because you simply can't flip them over and rotate them so you have to go out and buy another mattress in five or six years. They then stopped making so many regular mattress and concentrated on the pillow topper mattresses.

That makes me mad.

I think with many things your individual mileage will vary.

I've had a pillow top mattress for going on 20 years. You do need to rotate the mattress, we do ours about 2x a year. We are talking about replacing ours, but really ours isn't awful..yet. I don't know what kind of mattress we'll get.

I actually hated doing the mattress flip over thing and rarely bothered so the pillowtop has actually faired better for us.

But as if to knock me down, reality came around
And without so much as a mere touch, cut me into little pieces

18-01-2015, 04:41 PM
I must be weird. I find memory foam about the most uncomfortable thing ever. I get better sleep on a bale of hay. Jesus style.

'Murican Canadian
18-01-2015, 04:51 PM
What you sleep well on is a personal thing. That's why they make these really expensive beds where you can adjust firmness etc. individually for each side. Couples can each be comfy.

[Image: dobie.png]Science is the process we've designed to be responsible for generating our best guess as to what the fuck is going on. Girly Man