Memory

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
15-03-2015, 08:53 AM
RE: Memory
(15-03-2015 08:40 AM)Full Circle Wrote:  I remember sneaking into the pantry to steal sugar, grabbed the salt instead and dumped it down my throat. I was maybe 3 or 4?

What a rascal. Tongue

孤独 - The Out Crowd
Life is a flash of light between two eternities of darkness.
[Image: Schermata%202014-10-24%20alle%2012.39.01.png]
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 3 users Like The Polyglot Atheist's post
15-03-2015, 08:54 AM
I don't have a lot of really early memories and that may be because they are suppressed.

I do recall being quite young - maybe three - and being curled up in my great grandmother's lap as she rocked me. We had a special bond partly due to my being named after her.

The oldest, most vivid memory I have is when I was six. My sister was an infant and was in her infant seat watching me play with my Barbies. Mom and dad got into an argument that turned physical. I was a tiny kid but I grabbed the infant seat and hid with my sister behind our rocking chair in an attempt to protect her. Obviously I had witnessed incidents like this before and was acting out of the knowledge of how bad things were likely to get.

After the fight was over, I was punished because I could have hurt the baby by moving her like I did. It was evidently lost on my parents that their actions were more of a danger.

See here they are the bruises some were self-inflicted and some showed up along the way. - JF

We're all mad here. The Cheshire Cat
[+] 3 users Like Anjele's post
15-03-2015, 09:08 AM
(15-03-2015 08:54 AM)‘Anjele Wrote:  I don't have a lot of really early memories and that may be because they are suppressed.

I do recall being quite young - maybe three - and being curled up in my great grandmother's lap as she rocked me. We had a special bond partly due to my being named after her.

The oldest, most vivid memory I have is when I was six. My sister was an infant and was in her infant seat watching me play with my Barbies. Mom and dad got into an argument that turned physical. I was a tiny kid but I grabbed the infant seat and hid with my sister behind our rocking chair in an attempt to protect her. Obviously I had witnessed incidents like this before and was acting out of the knowledge of how bad things were likely to get.

After the fight was over, I was punished because I could have hurt the baby by moving her like I did. It was evidently lost on my parents that their actions were more of a danger.

It’s never too late for one of these Hug

“I am quite sure now that often, very often, in matters concerning religion and politics a man’s reasoning powers are not above the monkey’s.”~Mark Twain
“Ocean: A body of water occupying about two-thirds of a world made for man - who has no gills.”~ Ambrose Bierce
[+] 7 users Like Full Circle's post
15-03-2015, 10:15 AM
I woke up early this morning thinking about this thread and couldn't go back to sleep.

I had to be pretty young, we were at my Grandma's house, I was playing with some pots and pans there was a blob of something that seemed to moved (grease?), I ran out into the living room and tried to explain what I saw but really didn't have the language skill yet. Whatever I said probably made no sense because I got the patronizing "oh really?" from grandma.

There are other memories I can't place of all. I do recall once climbing out of my crib and refusing to nap. (looking back, I think mom just wanted quiet). I want to say, it was while we were still living in San Diego, but I'm not sure.

I recall stabbing one of those huge (to me) blow up clown things, the kind you hit but was balanced on the bottom (sand?) so they stood upright, with a chopstick and it popped.

There are real memory fragments of when we lived in Pacifica. I remember looking out the window for my father's car (mom was surprised I recalled that because we didn't live there for long). I can sort of recall this orange shade in one of the bedrooms. It had rust colored balls that dangled from the bottom -- not sure about that.

I recall when we landed on the moon, my mom was watching it on tv and told me I should pay attention because this was important (something like that), and I couldn't have cared less and was quite perturbed since I was playing and busy making noise. I did glance at the tv, I remember not thinking much -- just went back to playing. Now my mom insisted that I did eventually settle down and watched it. But honestly I never had any memory of that. I know I was around 2 and a half because it's an event with a clear date.

There was another one of her painting my bedroom furniture -- maybe around the same time, I know I was talking. I doubt she was keen on letting me "help".

I know we lived for a time around the block (not a suburban block a city block that was quite long probably a quarter mile or more) from my grandparents in SF for a while. I recall one evening I didn't want to eat mom's dinner, so I picked up the phone and asked my mom to call my grandma. I knew how the phone worked -- mom was always on the phone, but didn't know what numbers to dial. She did, and I asked what grandma was having for dinner.

I announced that I was going to grandma's for dinner and ran down the stairs and out the door.

Mom stayed on the phone with grandma until I arrived. Yeah..I know I was around 3 and no one thought anything of it. Papa (grandpa) walked me home when he took the dog for a walk after. To me that's just funniest memory because I don't recall my mom ever cooking much -- I mean I know she did....but grandma's cooking was just awful.

But as if to knock me down, reality came around
And without so much as a mere touch, cut me into little pieces

[+] 5 users Like Momsurroundedbyboys's post
15-03-2015, 12:17 PM
(15-03-2015 10:15 AM)Momsurroundedbyboys Wrote:  I recall when we landed on the moon, my mom was watching it on tv and told me I should pay attention because this was important (something like that), and I couldn't have cared less and was quite perturbed since I was playing and busy making noise. I did glance at the tv, I remember not thinking much -- just went back to playing. Now my mom insisted that I did eventually settle down and watched it. But honestly I never had any memory of that. I know I was around 2 and a half because it's an event with a clear date.

I was in 2nd grade and the teacher had us watch the TV as Armstrong did his thing. I should have paid more attention but I was smitten by a girl named Janice and I couldn’t take my eyes off of her for long Heart

There would be other moon landings but only one Janice Blush

“I am quite sure now that often, very often, in matters concerning religion and politics a man’s reasoning powers are not above the monkey’s.”~Mark Twain
“Ocean: A body of water occupying about two-thirds of a world made for man - who has no gills.”~ Ambrose Bierce
[+] 7 users Like Full Circle's post
20-03-2015, 06:01 AM
(15-03-2015 12:17 AM)Stark Raving Wrote:  I have talked with people about this before and almost everyone says my memory goes back way farther than theirs. A good example is that I have a fairly clear memory of feeling frustrated that I didn't know enough words to make myself understood. I've also clearly relayed memories to my parents from my childhood as early as three years old.

How far back does your memory go? What's your earliest memory? Do you find your early memory fading as you age?

Try your recent memory... I'm still waiting for the reply to my email...

Big Grin

Or maybe I said/did something wrong, you you just ignore me? Consider

[Image: a6505fe8.jpg]
I have a theory that the truth is never told during the nine-to-five hours.
-Hunter S. Thompson
20-03-2015, 06:19 AM
(15-03-2015 12:17 AM)Stark Raving Wrote:  I have talked with people about this before and almost everyone says my memory goes back way farther than theirs. A good example is that I have a fairly clear memory of feeling frustrated that I didn't know enough words to make myself understood. I've also clearly relayed memories to my parents from my childhood as early as three years old.

How far back does your memory go? What's your earliest memory? Do you find your early memory fading as you age?

I have snippets of memories as early as three. My mother was a teacher, I remember sometimes tagging along with her to school, my grandfather's funeral, riding on the back of a bike to bury our dog, throwing mud in my sister's eye, seeing a mall for the first time, accidentally killing a chicken, holding hands with the girl I had a crush on. I even remember her name, Kim. I don't think my memory is particularly great, but it's not so much details that I remember, but the sort of feelings, and enchantments associated with certain events, etching certain memories into my head, that get thought about every so often. I don't remember much else beyond these events.
[+] 2 users Like Tomasia's post
20-03-2015, 08:41 AM
I remember one of my dads company picnics.
My sister was supposed to be watching me (I think I was still in diapers) I managed to figure out how to drink beer straight from the tap.
My mom freaking out because her toddler was drunk as shit.
[+] 3 users Like pablo's post
20-03-2015, 10:04 AM
I have quite a few memories of living in Orange Park Florida including picking out my first dog a white bull terrier mix that is still my mom's favorite dog, my dad's mother, and my mom's paternal grandfather. All this was before my sister was born and both the grandparents passed in 65 so it was before my fourth birthday. We had the dog for a while so I was probably closer to two than four when that happened.

These days my memory is like an iceberg completely covered with penguins (memories). Every time a new penguin laboriously climbs onto the iceberg another one gets pushed off the other side. Unfortunately for the penguins my iceberg is slowly drifting south into warmer waters melting as it goes. As the iceberg gets smaller the penguins that are already there are falling off the edges.

Save a life. Adopt a greyhound.

[Image: anigrey.gif]
[+] 3 users Like Popeye's Pappy's post
20-03-2015, 10:16 AM
(20-03-2015 10:04 AM)Popeyes Pappy Wrote:  I have quite a few memories of living in Orange Park Florida including picking out my first dog a white bull terrier mix that is still my mom's favorite dog, my dad's mother, and my mom's paternal grandfather. All this was before my sister was born and both the grandparents passed in 65 so it was before my fourth birthday. We had the dog for a while so I was probably closer to two than four when that happened.

These days my memory is like an iceberg completely covered with penguins (memories). Every time a new penguin laboriously climbs onto the iceberg another one gets pushed off the other side. Unfortunately for the penguins my iceberg is slowly drifting south into warmer waters melting as it goes. As the iceberg gets smaller the penguins that are already there are falling off the edges.

Yeah, some sort of lobal warming. Weeping

Skepticism is not a position; it is an approach to claims.
Science is not a subject, but a method.
[Image: flagstiny%206.gif]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 4 users Like Chas's post