Men and women

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
31-07-2016, 11:56 AM
RE: Men and women
(31-07-2016 11:26 AM)dancefortwo Wrote:  
(31-07-2016 11:23 AM)Slowminded Wrote:  Yeah, men and women use their brains differently , it's a scientific fact.

I wonder why. Maybe it's from raising children which traditionally was a female role.

Yes , surely that is a part of it. Maybe women are better at multitasking because they were watching several kids at the same time while cooking dinner, while men were out hunting and because hunting was dangerous and they needed to be successful at it so they zero in on that task with full concentration they have.
Basically evolutionary traits.

. . . ................................ ......................................... . [Image: 2dsmnow.gif] Eat at Joe's
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 7 users Like Slowminded's post
31-07-2016, 02:56 PM
Whether because I'm a man or because I'm an ADHD kid, it's definitely true for me. I hyperfocus to the extreme. In some of the above examples it actually helps, though, such as with learning languages. Whether focusing on an objective at work, doing an intense workout, or spending a few hours in the evening absorbing vocabulary (because when the kids and girlfriend are awake forget it, not happening), so long as I have the option of focusing on one thing I'm absolutely relentless.

I've honed this tendency by taking the time to learn relevant theories on how the mind works, how it transfers things into long term memory and instinct, etc. To be honest, I like it this way. What my girlfriend calls an inability to multitask, I call being skilled at tuning out irrelevant bullshit so I can more efficiently direct my intellectual and physical resources towards what matters Tongue

'Murican Canadian
[+] 1 user Likes yakherder's post
31-07-2016, 03:08 PM
Of course they're different.

Boys go to Jupiter to get more stupider
Girls go to Mars to get more candy bars
31-07-2016, 04:23 PM
I can both multitask and focus, it depends on the circumstances.
31-07-2016, 04:34 PM
(31-07-2016 11:26 AM)dancefortwo Wrote:  
(31-07-2016 11:23 AM)Slowminded Wrote:  Yeah, men and women use their brains differently , it's a scientific fact.

I wonder why. Maybe it's from raising children which traditionally was a female role.

It's the in utero testosterone. It structures the brain differently.

Skepticism is not a position; it is an approach to claims.
Science is not a subject, but a method.
[Image: flagstiny%206.gif]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
31-07-2016, 04:36 PM
Research seems to indicate that at the very least, men take many more risks than women do.

31-07-2016, 06:16 PM
I hope that the time doesn't come when there is no noticeable difference between men and women. I am of an age when feminism was just getting started. We trying to believe thee was no difference between boy babies and girl babies tried to give toy trucks to our girl and dolls to our boy. They rejected their other gender specific toys out of hand. Yes of course our son would hug a doll, but as far as playing 'house' with it, no. I remember our daughter getting up and toddling away when expected to push a toy truck around about the time she was learning to walk. The boys at that age are already making truck sounds as they do so.
31-07-2016, 06:23 PM
With the likelihood of a surge in available bionic implant and cybernetic enhancement technology inevitable in the near future, the adaptive advantages behind many of the differences will likely be made more irrelevant than they already are. Long term biological changes are therefore also inevitable.

'Murican Canadian
31-07-2016, 08:40 PM
I have no problem multi...

[Image: giphy.gif]

“I am quite sure now that often, very often, in matters concerning religion and politics a man’s reasoning powers are not above the monkey’s.”~Mark Twain
“Ocean: A body of water occupying about two-thirds of a world made for man - who has no gills.”~ Ambrose Bierce
[+] 13 users Like Full Circle's post
31-07-2016, 09:03 PM (This post was last modified: 31-07-2016 09:15 PM by DLJ.)
(31-07-2016 04:23 PM)Thumpalumpacus Wrote:  I can both multitask and focus...

At the same time?

Ohmy

(31-07-2016 10:05 AM)dancefortwo Wrote:  So do you guys think men and women are all that different? Do women think differently than men? Do men zero in on stuff more than women. I can multi-task with ease but my husband has to do one thing at a time.
What do you guys think.

When I do the 'house-keeping' bit at the beginning of a new course I need to impose some rules. I say, "This is a non-laptop, non-iPad, non iPhone course ...
... for the guys. Ladies, you can do what ever you want."

It's taken as a joke about multi-tasking but actually I'm serious.

If I'm feeling playful I'll add (in a whisper), "... and guys, if you can multi-task, keep it a secret."

This is useful to gauge the political correctness of the room because if they are offended by that, I now know how they are going to react to the really contentious shit I'm going to hit 'em with on day 2.

E.g. that female accounting is different to/from/than male accounting; that some roles might be suitable for one gender or the other (or younger vs. older); whether polygamy is 'multi-sourcing' from a male perspective or is it 'shared services' from a female perspective.

Of course, the point I need to get across to these students (company directors, consultants, managers and future managers etc.) is that they need to develop the skills that will successfully match people with roles; so they need to understand which roles require empathy skills or competence with systems or both.

Everyone fits somewhere on the spectrum ... it's not 'either/or'.

The autism-thing in my personal life highlighted the contrast; autistic children are very loving and caring but lack the ability to empathise... it's only when you see the extremes that the spectrum becomes more obvious.

Reading about autism led me to Simon Baron-Cohen, the director of the Autism Research Centre, Cambridge University... yes, Sacha's cousin.

Quote:According to this theory, a person (whether male or female) has a particular "brain type". There are three common brain types: for some individuals, empathising is stronger than systemising. This is called the female brain, or a brain of type E. For other individuals, systemising is stronger than empathising. This is called the male brain, or a brain of type S. Yet other individuals are equally strong in their systemising and empathising. This is called the "balanced brain", or a brain of type B. There are now tests you can take to see which type (E, S, or B) you are. Not which type you'd like to be, but which you actually are.

A key feature of this theory is that your sex cannot tell you which type of brain you have. Not all men have the male brain, and not all women have the female brain. The central claim of this new theory is only that on average, more males than females have a brain of type S, and more females than males have a brain of type E

tl;dr version:
It's not women/men or venus/mars, it's empathising/systemising.

The short-hand is 'female-brain/male-brain'.

Thumbsup

[+] 6 users Like DLJ's post