Mental Habits

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
12-01-2016, 06:28 PM (This post was last modified: 12-01-2016 06:42 PM by bemore.)
RE: Mental Habits
(12-01-2016 04:29 PM)Heatheness Wrote:  I'm curious. A lot of people think hypnotherapy is woo, "there is no official body that recognizes hypnotherapy", and in the category as acupuncture and chiropractors and aroma therapy. You use a lot of the word "believe" in your statements so how does this differ from woo or religion? Where's the science? If you don't mind my asking.

No, I don't mind you asking at all.

I think whilst we (well, science) know's a lot about the brain. I think we still have a long way to go. It's like the Placebo effect which I mentioned, that is that when somebody expects something, then generally their expectations can be met to some varying degree. I do not think that there is any sufficient scientifical explanation that explains the phenomenon of the placebo effect and I would put hypnotherapy in that same bracket. The placebo effect (and any complimentary therapies, including hypnosis) are not however a replacement for other more direct and efficient treatments. I can only speak for myself when I say that what separates me from religion or woo is that I do not make any promises or any claims. I have to be ethical and professional and when people contact me I ask them if they have consulted with a Doctor or other relevant medical professional. If they have not then I advise them that they should do that first and will only see them once they have done.

When I guide somebody into "trance" through either a relaxation and/or a confusion technique I would say that what that does is simply quiet the mind and to help the client focus inwards, bypassing critical thinking. Hypnotic trance can much be likened to when you watch a film or get "lost in the moment". It's like when you are watching a horror movie and there is a build up to an occurrence that makes you jump or if you get emotional when you watch a character die. You know it's not real, you know that they are actors and special effects, but in that moment, through that build up you may have real and genuine emotions.

I can't offer any scientific evidence as I do not believe, like I mentioned above with the placebo effect, that it is fully understood. I do know though from the interactions I have had that it can work.

Its just guided imagery, its playing that movie in your head and the way the movie is played is through the language that you use.

EDIT: When you say you use mindfulness or mindful methods Genesis, what methods have you been using?

I feel so much, and yet I feel nothing.
I am a rock, I am the sky, the birds and the trees and everything beyond.
I am the wind, in the fields in which I roar. I am the water, in which I drown.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 1 user Likes bemore's post
12-01-2016, 06:44 PM
(12-01-2016 06:28 PM)bemore Wrote:  
(12-01-2016 04:29 PM)Heatheness Wrote:  I'm curious. A lot of people think hypnotherapy is woo, "there is no official body that recognizes hypnotherapy", and in the category as acupuncture and chiropractors and aroma therapy. You use a lot of the word "believe" in your statements so how does this differ from woo or religion? Where's the science? If you don't mind my asking.

No, I don't mind you asking at all.

I think whilst we (well, science) know's a lot about the brain. I think we still have a long way to go. It's like the Placebo effect which I mentioned, that is that when somebody expects something, then generally their expectations can be met to some varying degree. I do not think that there is any sufficient scientifical explanation that explains the phenomenon of the placebo effect and I would put hypnotherapy in that same bracket. The placebo effect (and any complimentary therapies, including hypnosis) are not however a replacement for other more direct and efficient treatments. I can only speak for myself when I say that what separates me from religion or woo is that I do not make any promises or any claims. I have to be ethical and professional and when people contact me I ask them if they have consulted with a Doctor or other relevant medical professional. If they have not then I advise them that they should do that first and will only see them once they have done.

When I guide somebody into "trance" through either a relaxation and/or a confusion technique I would say that what that does is simply quiet the mind and to help the client focus inwards, bypassing critical thinking. Hypnotic trance can much be likened to when you watch a film or get "lost in the moment". It's like when you are watching a horror movie and there is a build up to an occurrence that makes you jump or if you get emotional when you watch a character die. You know it's not real, you know that they are actors and special effects, but in that moment, through that build up you may have real and genuine emotions.

I can't offer any scientific evidence as I do not believe, like I mentioned above with the placebo effect, that it is fully understood. I do know though from the interactions I have had that it can work.

Its just guided imagery, its playing that movie in your head and the way the movie is played is through the language that you use.

EDIT: When you say you use mindfulness or mindful methods Genesis, what methods have you been using?

Thank you for answering.

[Image: dnw9krH.jpg?4]
12-01-2016, 07:11 PM
(12-01-2016 06:44 PM)Heatheness Wrote:  
(12-01-2016 06:28 PM)bemore Wrote:  No, I don't mind you asking at all.

Thank you for answering.

You are right to ask as sadly there are a lot of people who wish to make money over helping people and improving hypnosis.

Its like over here in the UK there is a cat who registered as a hypnotherapist.

Last laugh is on the cat though as here it is in action...

Big GrinBig GrinBig GrinTongue

12-01-2016, 07:12 PM (This post was last modified: 12-01-2016 07:26 PM by GenesisNemesis.)
(12-01-2016 06:28 PM)bemore Wrote:  EDIT: When you say you use mindfulness or mindful methods Genesis, what methods have you been using?

Mainly self-inquiry. Asking myself questions like "what is going to make my life easier? What thoughts will allow me to find peace in life?" I've found that simply recognizing that one path is the easier path allows me to change my thought processes a lot quicker. I've also been reading some philosophical material, like Meditations by Marcus Aurelius, or the Enchiridion by Epictetus. Seneca too.

12-01-2016, 07:14 PM
(12-01-2016 07:12 PM)GenesisNemesis Wrote:  
(12-01-2016 06:28 PM)bemore Wrote:  EDIT: When you say you use mindfulness or mindful methods Genesis, what methods have you been using?

Mainly self-inquiry. Asking myself questions like "what is going to make my life easier? What thoughts will allow me to find peace in life?" I've found that simply recognizing that one path is the easier path allows me to change my thought processes a lot quicker. I've also been reading some philosophical material, like Meditations by Marcus Aurelius, or the Enchiridion by Epictetus. Seneca too.

What did your face look like before your parents were born?

#sigh
[+] 1 user Likes GirlyMan's post
12-01-2016, 08:13 PM
(12-01-2016 07:14 PM)GirlyMan Wrote:  
(12-01-2016 07:12 PM)GenesisNemesis Wrote:  Mainly self-inquiry. Asking myself questions like "what is going to make my life easier? What thoughts will allow me to find peace in life?" I've found that simply recognizing that one path is the easier path allows me to change my thought processes a lot quicker. I've also been reading some philosophical material, like Meditations by Marcus Aurelius, or the Enchiridion by Epictetus. Seneca too.

What did your face look like before your parents were born?

An amalgamation of his grandparents?

Consider

12-01-2016, 10:08 PM
I go back and forth on this. On the one hand, it's enlightening to be able to see yourself from the outside, so to speak, and challenge some of the wacky ideas you take for granted. On the other hand, there is nothing more boring than thinking so hard about yourself that there's no room for art and science and music and other people.

Then there's the question of what you do with the information: is it a tool or a brickbat?

My overall assessment is that it's useful to understand, as much as possible, how people (including me) think, but after a certain point, it's good to just get on with thinking, rather than thinking about thinking.
[+] 3 users Like julep's post
12-01-2016, 10:34 PM
(12-01-2016 03:41 PM)onlinebiker Wrote:  I always thought a mental habit is what a crazy guy who thinks he's a nun would wear.....................

Facepalm

Isn't there a groan worthy joke thread somewhere on TTA?

Tongue

Shakespeare's Comedy of Errors.... on Donald J. Trump:

He is deformed, crooked, old, and sere,
Ill-fac’d, worse bodied, shapeless every where;
Vicious, ungentle, foolish, blunt, unkind,
Stigmatical in making, worse in mind.
[+] 1 user Likes dancefortwo's post
12-01-2016, 10:38 PM
(12-01-2016 10:08 PM)julep Wrote:  I go back and forth on this. On the one hand, it's enlightening to be able to see yourself from the outside, so to speak, and challenge some of the wacky ideas you take for granted. On the other hand, there is nothing more boring than thinking so hard about yourself that there's no room for art and science and music and other people.

Then there's the question of what you do with the information: is it a tool or a brickbat?

My overall assessment is that it's useful to understand, as much as possible, how people (including me) think, but after a certain point, it's good to just get on with thinking, rather than thinking about thinking.

For me it's definitely a tool that I use to reduce my own suffering as much as possible. So, I see it as being highly useful in that regard. Of course, I would not suggest to spend all of your time on it.

12-01-2016, 10:56 PM
(12-01-2016 10:38 PM)GenesisNemesis Wrote:  
(12-01-2016 10:08 PM)julep Wrote:  I go back and forth on this. On the one hand, it's enlightening to be able to see yourself from the outside, so to speak, and challenge some of the wacky ideas you take for granted. On the other hand, there is nothing more boring than thinking so hard about yourself that there's no room for art and science and music and other people.

For me it's definitely a tool that I use to reduce my own suffering as much as possible. So, I see it as being highly useful in that regard. Of course, I would not suggest to spend all of your time on it.

I agree with not spending all of your time on it, and also strongly agree that reducing suffering is a good goal. I'm interested in whether you feel that observing your mental processes, etc., is something that has taken up more or less of your time as you've used it, or whether your use of these techniques has allowed you to spend more time doing other productive, fulfilling things, also.

For myself, it's a delicate balance, and I don't intend a knock on the idea, at all, especially if it's taking you to deep and interesting places. I have personally had to guard against my own tendency to wallow in analysis as a substitute for more risky, painful action--there's something to be said, IMO, for that old Freudian concept of sublimation.
[+] 3 users Like julep's post