Mental and emotional issues....

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
12-10-2016, 01:33 AM
Mental and emotional issues....
Hi again....sometimes I check out old churches that I used to go to on youtube as well as christian music that I used to listen too... And then I get or have flashbacks and I almost feel shivers up and down my spine....wtf is that all about? I guess I was duped and brainwashed and a victum of bad ideas....
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
12-10-2016, 03:35 AM
RE: Mental and emotional issues....
(12-10-2016 01:33 AM)jason197754 Wrote:  Hi again....sometimes I check out old churches that I used to go to on youtube as well as christian music that I used to listen too... And then I get or have flashbacks and I almost feel shivers up and down my spine....wtf is that all about? I guess I was duped and brainwashed and a victim of bad ideas....

Uh... if it's so disturbing—in a good or a bad way—why then are you still watching Christian videos on YouTube? What's the apparent compulsion to do so?

The simple answer is to avoid 'em. Too easy. Cool

I'm a creationist... I believe that man created God.
[+] 2 users Like SYZ's post
12-10-2016, 07:34 AM
You got used to being "stroked" by the litany, the comfort of the solidity of the church environment. It is a habit. I'd say you have a long ways to go, and the first thing to do is avoid it while seeking out some counseling.
[+] 1 user Likes skyking's post
12-10-2016, 08:05 AM
SK and Syz gave you good advice. I think it's easy to be triggered by church things after you leave religion--especially if you were a member of a religion that ruled by fear (aka eternal torment, God getting pissed at us for our "sins"). Anxiety can play a part when you see those images again because your brain has been conditioned to believe that way for so long. As such, even though you've moved on from the church--sometimes images can still trigger your brain to produce a fear response.

It's really natural for your brain to work like that since it is trying to protect you from (real or imagined) danger. The good thing is that you can condition your brain to no longer see those things and produce a fear response. Learning all about where Christianity came from and the absurdity of it all is really helpful in reconditioning your brain.

Also a good tactic: When you see anxiety provoking images like churches, try taking the God aspect out of it and put it into more absurd terms. This way your brain can see the fear of such things is irrational and that will help to realign the way you perceive things. For example, when you see a church--start thinking that's the magical fairy's house. God is just like a magical fairy, but your brain has been conditioned to fear God. When you reduce god to a magical fairy (because really he is no different), your brain can start to see the absurdity and it will start to readjust.

Like SK mentioned, I really would stress looking into therapy. It would be a good tool for you to help you process everything.
13-10-2016, 02:08 AM
Yeah...I also journal and I try to practice mindfullness too. And I have a therapist that I go to every other week=every 2 weeks....
[+] 1 user Likes jason197754's post