Mental illness induced by religion.

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
21-11-2013, 12:43 PM
Mental illness induced by religion.
Hello, my name is Tiffani and I am new here. I have been gradually leaving religion. Took me 3 years to get where I am today. I would classify as myself as an agnostic leaning more toward atheism.

I began my desertion of Christianity when I began to notice the preponderance of mental illness in Christian circles. I noted how many of my own fears, insecurities, and emotional issues where caused by my beliefs. I began to research and read things outside my narrow fundamentalism circle. As I read, I abandoned fundamentalism for liberal Christianity. Later I abandoned Christianity for agnosticism and feel I am moving rapidly towards being a convinced atheist.

I now manage a small online FB support group called Former Fundamentalists where we discuss the connection between mental and emotional illness and fundamentalism. Most are atheists, with a few still Christian.

I read Leaving the Fold 6months ago and I realized how many Christian doctrines are not conducive to sound mental health. My new beliefs have plummeted me into a lonely world. I can never go back! Aside from a couple friends who accept my lack of faith despite their disagreement, my only friends are online.

Christianity destroyed my self confidence, which I am slowly building. It destroyed my trust, which is growing as I learn how much good is in the world. It destroyed the love in my marriage because we were indoctrinated with the patriarchal, women are the cause of the world's temptation and sin, quiver full mentality.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 4 users Like advancewithcourage's post
21-11-2013, 01:35 PM
RE: Mental illness induced by religion.
I have often wondered about the connection between religion and mental health issues. Thanks for the post, it was a good insight, you have motivated me to look deeper into the subject and to reflect on it.

My intro- more about me: My story
21-11-2013, 02:07 PM
I became atheist when I was 10. I did not come from a religious household.

I can't even imagine what it must do to a person to be raised in fundamentalism.

[Image: dobie.png]

Science is the process we've designed to be responsible for generating our best guess as to what the fuck is going on. Girly Man
[+] 1 user Likes Dom's post
21-11-2013, 02:38 PM
You are indeed a brave one Advancewithcourage.

Just by taking the steps you have, you encourage others who are terrified to do so. I'm relieved for you that you are out and I want you to know that from the little I've observed, it does get better with time and thought. This forum might be a good place for you to work on your brave self ... and of course, to learn.

I'm glad you've come here - I hope it's a good fit for you.

Welcome to the forum. Smile

A new type of thinking is essential if mankind is to survive and move to higher levels. ~ Albert Einstein
[+] 1 user Likes kim's post
21-11-2013, 02:38 PM
I think the OP might be in the wrong section.

This Personal Issues and Support Section is for people seeking help.

Seems to me that you have got your shit together and might be very useful on this forum as someone who can provide help.

Welcome aboard.

[+] 7 users Like DLJ's post
21-11-2013, 03:01 PM
Welcome. I agree with DLJ that you can provide hope for others.

Skepticism is not a position; it is an approach to claims.
Science is not a subject, but a method.
[Image: flagstiny%206.gif]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
21-11-2013, 03:22 PM
(21-11-2013 12:43 PM)advancewithcourage Wrote:  Christianity destroyed my self confidence, which I am slowly building. It destroyed my trust, which is growing as I learn how much good is in the world. It destroyed the love in my marriage because we were indoctrinated with the patriarchal, women are the cause of the world's temptation and sin, quiver full mentality.

Thanks for sharing your story. I can feel your pain. Raised in a Christian home, Christian high school, early marriage to husband obsessed with the power he (thought that he) had over me and the status that he could gain in the church - the whole nine yards. I think you've made an excellent conclusion that Christianity, or any extreme type of religion, is often linked with mental issues.

You're right that the religion can often destroy marriage because of the power struggle between husband and the modern day wife. It was draining wasn't it?

Everybody gets it bad, but women suffer badly from a lack of self-confidence, and always feeling like they're one step behind the men at the church. Essentially, you're treated like a child or a near-madwoman, depending on the situation.

It took me a long time to get my self worth and confidence back after being told I was to submit to my husband and that I should focus on a family rather than the career I had aspired for ever since I was a kid. I found help, of course, with non-religious coworkers and friends.

You're a strong person to leave Christianity, and you deserve a pat on the back for figuring things out through using logic and reason. I hope you're okay, and all the best with your journey toward a more reason-based life.
21-11-2013, 03:26 PM
Welcome aboard Smile

" Generally speaking, the errors in religion are dangerous; those in philosophy only ridiculous."
David Hume
22-11-2013, 06:26 PM
I can REALLY relate with your story.
My current struggle is similar, in that I feel lonely, too. The thing I miss most about religion, is having a real-life forum (church, or church activities) to talk and spend time with like-minded (however crazy we all were hahaha) people.
I see a lot of posts on thethinkingatheist.com about Free Thought Conventions and have tried to look for similar things around me but haven't been able to find anything. Sad If you, or anyone else, knows of any kind of location search to try to find atheist meetups or free thought conventions "near you", I would love to know about it.
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
23-11-2013, 11:39 AM
Here you go:

http://www.meetup.com/

look for atheist groups in your area, or any other interest group.

[Image: dobie.png]

Science is the process we've designed to be responsible for generating our best guess as to what the fuck is going on. Girly Man
[+] 1 user Likes Dom's post